Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

TLIF surgery Jan 5,2011 what can I expect during recovery

advertisement

Comments

• Hello tami,
    Yes was my first surgery. I was scared myself. It went pretty easy. I expected much worse. Was only in the hospital 4 days and my wife took a week off to take care of me. Don't let it get in your head, than made it much worse for me. Stay strong, best wishes.

Jim
  • I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice about what is Normal in recovery after TLIF. I felt I was doing great one week post op, taking short walks daily (with a LOT of hip soreness afterward) and doing most things for myself. I think I felt so good, I overdid it and my back began to well 8 days post op, emailed a pic to the doctor and he brought me in. He agreed there was too much inflamation and put me on steroids for a week. It seems that since then things have gone downhill. I feel I have lost a lot of strength and stamina and do not feel my lower back seems as stable as it felt during the first week post op. I began having difficulty getting in and out of bed and doing my log rolls to avoid bending, so I rented a hospital bed with rails so I could use them to pull myself over. The bed also let me elevate my knees and head. After being able to only manage to be upright for 3 hours on Thanksgiving before the pain got so bad, I had to go home to bed-exhausted. I slept on my back, raised my knees and head. As I slept, I woke up twice to sudden full body nerve twitching which had never happened before. I slowly fell back asleep and later woke up to a loud CRACKING sound that snapped me awake and to attention. I was afraid to even move, so I just laid there until morning. When I did try to get up, my lower left back was so sore it scared me. My son helped me get up but I could only take small steps and felt really unstable. Since then, I have continued to feel the same, even wearing my corset, and even small movements have more pain then they did before. Also, my glut muscles are like rocks. With it being the holiday weekend, my Doctors office is closed. I am continuing to ice the area but am concerned something could be really wrong. Could the steroids have weakened a bone where the screws were put in and it cracked? Is it possible that the area worked on could have shifted? Would this be normal? Could my corset actually be causing me to depend on it more and atrofying my muscles? I have lost about 10 pounds since surgery. Could it be from loss of muscle? Not sure what to do next - can anybody help me?

Thank you for any response.
  • advertisement
  • loud CRACKING NOISE & pain woke me up 25 days TLIF post op.

I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice about what is Normal in recovery after TLIF. I felt I was doing great one week post op, taking short walks daily (with a LOT of hip soreness afterward) and doing most things for myself. I think I felt so good, I overdid it and my back began to well 8 days post op, emailed a pic to the doctor and he brought me in. He agreed there was too much inflamation and put me on steroids. From there things have gone downhill. I feel I have lost a lot of strength and stamina and do not feel my lower back seems as stable as it felt during the first week post op. I began having difficulty getting in and out of bed and doing my log rolls to avoid bending, so I rented a hospital bed with rails so I could use them to pull myself over. I was also able to elevate my knees and head. After being able to only manage to be upright for 3 hours on Thanksgiving, I had to go home to bed-exhausted. I slept on my back, raised my knees and head. As I slept, I woke up twice to sudden full body nerve twitching which had never happened before. I fell back asleep and later woke up to a loud CRACKING sound that snapped me awake and to attention. I was afraid to even move, so I just laid there until morning. When I did try to get up, my lower left back was so sore it scared me. My son helped me get up but I could only take small steps and felt really unstable. Since then, I have continued to feel the same, even wearing my corset, and even small movements have more pain then they did before. Also, my glut muscles are like rocks. With it being the holiday weekend, my Doctors office is closed. I am continuing to ice the area but am concerned something could be really wrong. Could the steroids have weakened a bone where the screws were put in and it cracked? Is it possible that the area worked on could have shifted? Would this be normal? Could my corset actually be causing me to depend on it more and atrofying my muscles? I have lost about 10 pounds since surgery. Could it be from loss of muscle?
  • Holiday weekend or not you should call the doctor. They should have an answering service. You should be moving forward but seems your recovery is going backwards.
  • kristichanellekkristichanelle Posts: 1
    edited 04/08/2013 - 6:53 AM
    Hi I am new to this forum I have been reading posts to see if I am having a "normal recovery" I am 11 days post op from having a tlif procedure at L4-L5 It is definitely a different pain I am experiencing My lower back feels so tight keep wondering if I will be able to bend and put my socks on by myself again I am a nurse myself and it is very hard to be on the other side of the world right now with accepting help from others It makes you appreciate the smallest things Just looking for someone to chat with and assure me there is a light at the end of this journey
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.