Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lidoderm patches and Mobic (meloxicam, generic)

advertisement

Comments

• Good luck, Cath. Hope you get it all worked out with your insurance. I have them, but don't even remember what my charge was. I rarely use them, but they do come in handy when the pocket where my SCS is implanted (in my left hip) gets sore after a lot of bending or sitting in a hard seat. I've never tried them anywhere but there.
  • Wow Cathie!

I get mine at 60 patches each month, not a squawk from my insurance. Amazing... I hope it works out for you Cathie.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Cath,

Hope your insurance and the pharmacy get it all worked out. Yes, a box of the patches runs about $250-$270 without insurance, so it puts them out of reach for most if insurance won't cooperate.

As discussed above- up to 3 a day, cut or not, 12 on/12 off. Some (I think Ron?) have been prescribed different timing, but the general seems to be the 12 on, 12 off.

It's a good idea to make sure the skin is dry, lotion or powder free before putting them on. I find that if I place them over the area that generates the most pain and heat on my back I get the best relief from them. They aren't knocking out the pain totally, but I can tell you that on the days I've ran out of the house without remembering to put them on.... have been Really telling. They seem to give me at least, a decent amount of pain relief without any adverse effects.

My doctor offered me a trial pack, I think there were 4 in it? So I was able to give it a trial run before getting a script. I will say that I'm asking for my next script to be made for the 2-3 per day, as, I have to pick and choose what days I'll go without if I use more than 1 a day, and yes, I do use them every day!

Good luck with this and I hope it helps! It's one of those... quality of life kind of things for me.... it really does make my quality of life a little better, so I am loving the fact that I can use them.
  • Ok, got the insurance approval on the lidoderm patches, so good to go there.

The mobic doesn't seem to be doing much, but it seems to be helping a little bit. Enough to notice, but not enough to make things good enough to go down on meds.

The lidoderm patches I can't get to stick. I put them on the back of my neck at the hairline, but Clandy, I haven't washed and dried it before I put them on, so I'll do that. I'll also get some tape to help keep them on. They seem to make a bit of a difference, but I think what's going on is so deep that the med doesn't really reach the area. I don't know, just a thought.

Thanks,
    Cathie
  • Hey Cath,

Same problem here with the insurance and the patch. I did try the patches for that arthritic facet joint pain.

I found the topical patch worked great-WHEN I could get it to STAY ON and NOT ROLL OFF.

My doctor recommended I try the Voltaren Gel. He felt it would give me the same relief anD was confident my insurance would cover it. (He also said I would find myself not using oral anti-inflammatories. He was correct.)

I actually like the Voltaren Gel better. I put it on 3-4 times a day. I don't have to worry about it coming off, showing under my clothes, coming off in the sheets or anything like that. It's great whenever I feel those barometric pressure change days coming on....

Either way I sure hope you get some relief.
  • advertisement
  • hey cathy,
    I'm with you on trying new meds....altho we have alot on internet we can read all about them...or look up on here....I still like to hear ppl from here post about ther thoughts and experiences...
    So those patches i would neeed alot of them to cut up and put all over my whole body...
    gonna look them up and see the diff from what i was given...the fentynl..
    glad the insurance kicked in...i am truely blessed to have insur... cause if not i wouldnt even attempt to try any meds..
    i dont feel so bad when something doesnt work cause my co-pay is so cheap...
    I so hope doc can find something that improves all your pain..

so far no luck here....
    tc
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well, I can get the lidoderm patches to stick very well by rubbing the area with a cotton ball with isopropal alcohol before applying the patch. It's been working great on my lower back pain, which I don't have often, but when I do it's usually a dosey, so that's great. No so much with the neck, some slight relief sometimes, so I only use it there on my worst days.

I think the mobic is helping - my pain doesn't seem as intense as it has most days. Still, not great, but I don't feel like having a neckectomy all day every day any more.

The only thing that's bugging me is the 12 hours on and 12 hours off. I usually have my worst pain in the late afternoon after I've been busy or on the computer too much, so I end up putting it on and it stays on when I go to bed. Then if I have pain the next day, I can't put another one on. It's difficult to find the right way to use them.

So, thanks for the suggestions and wanted to update. Lidoderm patches really are a great help sometimes.
advertisement