Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF Recovery

advertisement

Comments

• Hope you are doing okay. I haven't been on too much since i was working this week, very exhausting. Just trying to make it through each work day. Still in my pj's at 1 PM.
  • I do definitely recommend the PT to help for future but I can tell you what my PT guy shared and that is good posture at all times. He said the posture is the most important to keep the other disks in place - when posture not good it puts pressure on the disks and since there is already now pressure on the disks above and below from the hardware - he said the posture is so much more important. He was very funny about it saying for woman - that means sitck the chest out and head up - and of course making it a joke - my husband now of course loves reminding me. For men he said carry the weight of stress on their shoulders and usually slouch .. he also said lift with the core .. never lift just with arms and never reach and lift or lift anything heavy above your head. Just thought I would share with you some tips I got ... I do not have any magic insight on how to have good posture after 40 years of not having good posture .. if you figure that one out please share.. I think I'll start a thread asking all for their input!
    Take Care - hope you have a good week!
    Mary
  • advertisement
  • Thanks. One thought I just had when I read you last post. I friend of mine practices what is called the Alexander technique --- teaches you posture, how to get up and sit down without stressing your spine, etc. I saw her a while ago (way before things progressed to the point of surgery). I think I'll call her again. And maybe someone in your aread does this?

All the best,
    Mike
  • I'll have to check around .. or maybe online! Hope you are doing well! I am released to work for Monday so excited to get life back to normal but nervous.. I have not been to work in 6 months - 1st out to care for my son and then my surgery - UGH! I am dreading on where to begin with getting caught up !!
    Mary
  • I will search the web to find out exactly what the Alexander technique is and see if it will be helpful for me. On thing my PT guy told me about the car which caused me the most discomfort was: don't adjust your mirror when you notice that you are not seeing exactly the same out of the rear view mirror. It means that you have slouched and need to reposition your self. So now I constantly look in my rear view mirror to make sure I am stilling up nice and tall and not slouching. It seems to have helped a bit or it is just time.
  • advertisement
  • I am glad to see I'm not the only one with pain 5 weeks after my ACDF and my Nuero has kind of dismissed my concerns also and I'll get scared that I'm doing something wrong cause of the pain, and he dismissed me again. I have lots of questions and concerns because I was sent home from hospital with no directions just to stay with family and to rest. I really have looked to these articles and posts for any direction. Kinda scary! I'll make another appt. I have good list of questions that make me feel confident that there will be an awnser to, that will make the difference for me in recovery. I bring my notes and Nuero still assures that X-rays are good and to rest and take it easy he's does not care what I read on the Internet. I see others say the same things I feel, for example, someone suggested Valuim for the tightness and spasms in back. Im not near as tense! One of many tips I've got from the wonderful members of this site. Thank all of you for suggestions and sharing your experience I know I'm not a wuss! Recovery is on us, I feel that the Neuro feels like he fixed me so when I go back concerned, he almosts takes it personal offence to it. We have to trust our bodies and if you feel that something is not right you go get a new Dr if anything for peace of mind.
advertisement