Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

when were you pain free after fusion surgery

Comments

• Scarnnel .. where or what is Level 8 Lumbar Surgery?  Which discs/ vertebrae were included in this fusion?

I cannot say I agree with throwing away pain meds.  During a period of high pain and trying to avoid pain meds, my blood pressure went sky high, a result of prolonged pain.  I have spent my life avoiding pain meds for all conditions, but after that I would never consider it again. It is too high risks on a vital area of my body that could have brought on a stroke or even a heart attack.

Always follow doctors recommendations on your medication Noni9 and L5S1.  Nobody else is qualified to advise you and need to be told that.  If your doctor says you should be off the medication, he wouldn't still be prescribing it!

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • danapughddanapugh Lebanon, TnPosts: 8
    I totally agree with the swimming.. I started swimming at 4 weeks post-op.  I walk a lap and swim a lap with a flotation belt to keep me from tiring so quickly. I can easily do 1 hour and 15 minutes now of constant movement.  No more pain or stiffness.  No more pain meds. I try to swim at least 3 days a week since I went back to work at 8 weeks post-op, but I really like to swim every day if the weather permits.  I have also used the local fitness center if the weather is bad because they have a heated indoor pool, which is super great for exercising and swimming.
  • advertisement
  • Hello All! I had an ALIF on my L5S1 completed in October 2015.  I am currently 10 months post opp and feel really good.  I can't complain.  It wasn't always like this though.  I didn't start feeling strong in the lower back until around 6 months, then it was like someone flipped a switch.  I can run, do the elliptical plus many more things.  I still am stiff in the lower back but stretching helps.  I also have terrible flexibility but I can deal with those things as long as I am pain free.  Don't get me wrong if I do too much lifting I can be sore for a few days.  At this point I am so glad I did the surgery and hope I will continue to grow stronger everyday!  
  • home4schoolmomhhome4schoolmom South Carolina, USAPosts: 8
    edited 08/26/2016 - 1:08 PM
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses! I am 5 months today post ALIF L5-S1 due to a fall. I was able to come off pain meds and muscles relaxers by 5 weeks post op and off the nerve meds by 8 weeks post op. I can say I have been very pleased with my progress.

Most days are good! Up to walking 3 miles a day as well as being able to do more things here on our farm every week...still limited on lifting and bending, but will get there.

This week has been a tough one. Seems like if I do too much I hurt worse,  but if I lay around too much I also hurt more!  Mentally it has gotten to me today. I came to the forum just to see if I am doing ok for where I am and I guess I am!

Massage therapy has been SO very helpful and I will continue therapy every two weeks. I had a massage yesterday and it has helped some. I think I may break down and take a muscle relaxer tonight and see if that helps...I had just hoped I was done with meds.

Thank you all for responses. It helps on days like today to know others are having good days and bad days too. I have to remind myself I was flat for 4 months prior to surgery and I am only 5 months post op....this is a long haul!

I hope everyone has a good day and is good to themselves.  Let's give ourselves a little leeway to get through these tough times and heal. Hugs and prayers.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.