Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Does your pain come in cycles?

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a disc protrusion in c4-5 and my pain comes in cycles. On average I'll be at a pain level of 2-4. Usually the 4 on my left side. My pain cycle lasts about 3 weeks. I'll have one or 2 days of level 1-2 pain (if i am lucky) then the pain will build in my left shoulder, arm and neck. Then my pain will be about a 4-5, when I lift things or reach, especially above my head the pain will get worse. Then one day I'll wake up and have pain in my neck/shoulder/arm that is a 8-9. When I tip my head back it is the worst. Also if I hit my left arm on something or sit on the floor and put my arm down I will feel like I was struck by lightning through my arm to my neck pain level 10. Then the pain 8-9 will continue for about 5-6 days. I will take vicodin during this time and that will bring the pain to a 4-5. After about 2 days it will go back to being almost pain free (1-2) for 1 or 2 days and then as you can see the cycle starts up again. the cycle used to happen about 3-4 times a year, then last year about 5-6, now this year it is monthly.

I tried physical therapy and that made things worse.

Does anyone else have pain that comes in cycles?
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
advertisement

Comments

• EDIT- It does not just happen when I wake up, it could be anytime usually in the morning. I can wake up with 3-4 pain, and then all the sudden I will feel a severe pain in my neck and shoulder that won't go away.

• Donnabe,

I have had pain in cycles for years - the heavier pain part is called a "flare". With me where the worse pain can vary from my neck to neck/arms to hips or down the legs. I have disc issues in my neck and lower back.

If you are getting that much pain I think you should go to your primary or rheumatologist if you have one. I think you should have an MRI to really see what's going on.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • advertisement
  • Karen,

I did have an MRI, I also went to PT for 2 months which made the issue worse. The issue is in the c4-5 disc, degeneration and left forminal stenosis and disc bulge. I am supposed to have ACDF surgery soon.

Donna

• I have pain cycles that coincide with the change in hormones every month. Vasodialation can be triggered by hormones and when that occurs, nerve impingement can increase. So for me that can translate to headaches as well as backaches and the general feeling of yuck.

I combat this with a diet rich in fresh green vegetables and others loaded with phytoestrogen. That plus regular exercise help to balance out the swings and help reduce the cycling increase in pain.

"C"
advertisement