Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

4 weeks removed from Spine Fusion

ncchief30nncchief30 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all.

I am now 4 weeks removed from a Level 1 c6 c7 spine fusion. I no longer have the nero pain that I had before the surgery. However I am dealing with a lot more pain I am positive that it surgical pain. It also could be pain from my spine fusing. I do not know. I was hoping you all could tell me how much longer could I be in pain after surgery?

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• It all depends on your age, health, how long nerves were compressed and if you overdo it during recovery. I'm a healthy 42 year old and my NS told me that it takes up to 9 months for pain to go away. Any pain that remains after 9 months will stay. If you ask others on this forum, they will give you a different answer. Overdoing it can bring back pain. I was almost pain free at 2 and half months post-op and injured my self. Although I'm much better, I'm still battling pain.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I weaned off my neck brace too quickly and my pain really spiked. The weight of my head was too much for the unhappy nerves & muscles. I went back to wearing my collar at night, and an hour here or there especially if pain levels start to increase. I've been doing that a week now and it has provided some relief. I'm only 7 weeks out - and I see over and over on this site that we have to be patient and recovery comes over a long time period. I definitely have more pain if I overdue it.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • advertisement
  • Karen- I am worried about wearing the collar at night? I never even tried it on yet... I heard I will just have one on when I wake up from surgery. Is it possible to lay on my side while wearing the collar? I can't lay on my back for very long without a lot of pain.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I felt better about 1-2 months after my cervical fusion in Jan. The swallowing is what got me the most. I wore a rigid neck brace for about 5-6 weeks. The DR told me I could sleep without it after a week but I wore mine while I slept for 2-3 week jut in case. Everyone is different I'm 6 months after my fusion and I don't even think about it now. My lumber is 6 weeks today after my laminectomy and it is healed 75%. I need another cervical laminectomy in the future so I'm not out of the woods yet, I hope all goes well for you, me and others.
  • Some doctors don't have people wear the collar, and others vary depending on levels. I always sleep on my side. It really was no problem. I just keep the pillows to a height that kind of maintains the neck at level, without tilting up or down too much.

Hope you feel better soon!

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • advertisement
  • I was not given a collar since I had a single level fusion. Every surgeon do things differently. Hang in there and do not stress. Stress can also cause more pain or pain to come back suddenly.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I ended up having a soft collar, I only have to wear it at night.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I had a 2 level cervical fusion in jan and had to remain in a hard collar for 14 weeks. I had also had an earlier fusion just below this one. For me the collar was 24/7. at 14 weeks they checked and the hardware was in place, but they ordered a bone growth stimulator. I will be wearing it 4 hrs a day for the next 9 mos.
    lbritt, we look pretty similar in our calendar this year, I had cervical fusion in Jan and a TLIF on l4-5 in may. right now i am whipped! and hoping not to have any more in the future : )
    i am sorry to hear you have another possibly, I hope all is doing as well as possible
    take care
    bonnie
advertisement