Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Guidelines to read before you post

Comments

• I looked for this in forum rules and faqs, and I could have very well missed it, this old grandma is not used to being on the meds I'm on! Anyway, now the hubs and I feel like I've entered into a new chapter of my life since I had surgery. It's not a big deal if I cannot do this, but I'm wondering - is there a way to change your user name? Again, if I missed seeing a rule on it, I'm sorry and also though I'd like to, it certainly isn't the end of the world if I cannot change it.

Hope everyone is having as pain free a day as possible!
    B
    I am who I am!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527
    If you want a new member name, please let me know what it is.
    As long as it isnt already taken or offensive, I can make the change. Your password, messages and forums/posts remain intact
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Irish Eyes??

I am who I am!
  • tatorsalad81ttatorsalad81 Posts: 1
    edited 06/28/2012 - 3:40 PM
    I think this is a great place and I am very inspired by all the stories. I am also a Chronic Pain patient. I have DDD, I have had a spinal surgery on Feb 9th 2012, the weeks leading up to the surgery I was encouraged by this website, but was kind of reluctant to join. I finally decided to join hoping to give someone else the same encouragement I have received from this web site.
  • Hello to all of you on this forum,

I suffered a herniation at c6-c7 in late February 2012, and by the end of March I was in agony, could no longer use my left arm, and it was clear that I needed to do something about it. I was experiencing nerve pain in my arm, under my scapula, and under my armpit at the base of my lat, and this pain was so severe that I had to carry my arm in a sling. I could barely sleep at night, able to lie only flat on my back. It was pure hell. I had surgery to remove the disc bits on April 9, 2012. I hate taking pain meds, but believe me before the surgery I was all too happy to take them! I had the surgery at NY Presbyterian in Manhattan, and all things considered it was a great experience (everyone there was really professional and super competent). I took pain meds for the first 3 days after surgery and then stopped.

Immediately after the surgery the severe pain was gone, and since then I have been recovering from surgery with the occasional setback, but for the most part the trajectory has been steadily upward. Four months on I have only residual issues with numbness in my index finger, and if I do too much lifting of anything, I get a day or two of nerve pain. I still have slight weakness in my triceps, in spite of doing all the PT exercises faithfully with the rubber bands, but that too is subsiding. In comparing my condition now to the month before surgery it is as though I received a new lease on life.

I am 54 years old, male, and I have always been very active, running, weight lifting, playing soccer and other sports, backpacking, etc. In fact, I was about 6 weeks into a round of P90X when I realized that I had the problem (I suspect it was already injured for the past few years, but only became exacerbated by the intense workouts). I assume that I won't be able to workout like that anymore, or at least that is what my doctors tell me, but I want to know what I can reasonably expect for future workouts, so anyone who has had similar situation I would be happy to hear from, especially if you are farther down the road than I.

For anyone who is suffering, I offer my take that the surgery was 100% the correct route to go for me. But talk to at least 2 surgeons and read as much as you can. It is scary to think about getting it done, but the thought of living in that kind of pain was just not an option. For those suffering, my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Best wishes,
    Brendan
  • advertisement
  • Hi I am a new member. I am 24 years old and was in a bike accident. I had many injuries including 5 broken vertabrae in my back. Just came across this site, and looks very useful!
  • Hello fellow pain people. Have been coming to this site for awhile now and thought I''d jump right in. Briefly I'm a young 60 yr old female with Fibromyalgia (20+ yrs), cervical stenosis (not too bad) and severe lumbar stenosis with all the goodies attached. I had a hard time accepting that stenosis diagnosis because I have very little to no lower back pain but my legs are killing me!! I've had 3 steroid injections under Xray and they only seem to last a couple weeks and the cramping is back. I've had more than my share of pain in my life but there is nothing as bad as a charley horse in a big thigh muscle, that won't quit! It brings me to tears. My Fibro was well under control but lately I'm feeling an increase of all over pain and I'm not sleeping good.

I'm really needing to vent here. I've always been a very active person and this is really "cramping" my style (pun intended)
    My grandkids aren't getting what they bargained for in a grandma! The meds don't help much. They only make it tolerable. When I'm asked where it hurts my reply wants to be "where doesn't it hurt!" but I'm not one to complain...except now. I've had a really active lifestyle but a very serious car accident and a few jumps out of a plane probably has taken its toll on my spine. So, I'll eagerly read everyones posts, but I can't sit here much longer, cause a gripping pain is running down my thigh and around my knee. Oh yes, one consolation...I've got a doctors appointment on OCTOBER 3rd!! I think I have to do something before then. Thanks for listening...I'm still smiling
  • Thanks for the post! :)

Hi there! I'm a newbie here.
  • Hi I'm 54, female and suffering chronic back pain, spasm etc. I have posted in the Chronic back pain forum and look forward to any help /advice offered
  • Hi- My name is Steve. Thank you for welcoming me to your support 'home'. I'm certain in the months to come this site will become my go-to source of info and support. I'm scheduled for ACDF surgery (level four C3-C7 w/autograft and hardware) on September 24th. Thanks again. -Steve
    steve in chicago
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.