Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5-S1 spinal fusion

Comments

• hi, im also only 19. My ddd is at 2 levels in my thoracic spine though. which is pretty uncommon due to the fact that that is the most stable part of the spine and is not used like the cervical and lumbar regions. i suffer all day, everyday. Every dr. i go see tells me that because of the location of the issue, surgery is almost not even an option. i have literally tried EVERYTHING with absolutely no relief. so i cannot relate to the topic of low back fussions, but i CAN relate in the fact that im 19 too. and feel like im about 95.
    katie
  • I am now an 18 year old female. I had surgery April 8,2008 and May 8,2009 I had a fusion of my L5 and S1. I was very active then and I still am today. My sugery was very sucessful and I live a normal life with minor aces and pains even though I have a 10 in scar, screws, and little nerve pain I dont let it stop me. I am back to cheerleading(College) and better than ever I cant even imagine the thought of not having the surgery and living with the pain. I reccommend Dr. edit He is currently in Kansas city he is the best orthopedic doctor!

Post edited to remove name of medical professional. by Authority Member Liz
  • advertisement
  • Katie i def feel the same way you feel even though i did find someone to do my surgery it took a while stay positive though.

Kristie i love reading peoples post that have positive things to say. Its so hard trying to stay positive when you feel so broken and hurting so much. It gives me hope to pull through with my theraphy and everything else they tell me to do
  • Hey guys,
    Right.... initially after L5/S1 fusion in August I was feeling really positive and doing relatively well, however things seem to have turned for the worse. I am now 3 months post op and in a pretty bad way with pain in my left side. It feels almost like it is coming from inside my hip area or the sacroiliac joint. Is this normal and part of the recovery process or should I start to worry. I'm concerned that I should be further down the road to recovery by now.
    I would appreciate any advice from people that have had a fusion on the recovery process and whether I should be doing better than I currently am?
    Many thanks
    Martyn
  • Hi Martyn,

I had L5/S1 fused in march. I had a tougher recovery than my other fusions due to ligaments being stretched as they put in a spacer as my disc wasn't good enough to leave in. I am now having SI joint problems on both sides, common after multiple fusions (I am fused L1-S1). I had cortisone injections in the SI joints which offered some relief and verified that it was the SI joint giving me the pain.

Talk to your surgeon or pain management doctor about possible SI joint dysfunction. Good luck.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Martyn. I had an L5 S1 spinal fusion at the end of July. I have had no real problems and now only experience a bit of pain if I overdo things. Any ache is on the right buttock going down my right leg but I wonder if this is from where the drain hole site was.
    Otherwise the op has completely cured the mechanical problems I was having. I haven't had to take painkillers since 2 weeks after the op.

Meryl
advertisement