Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Butrans Patch Anyone? Just Got Mine Filled

advertisement

Comments

• Hello All,

Sorry to jump in so late on this topic, but I've also had very good luck with the Butrans patch. I start my third month tomorrow, and I would say that the 20mcg patch has knocked at least 1 number off of my daily pain scale. Still a bit of break-through pain, but I finished 30 days of the patch and still had almost 1/2 of my monthly script of Oxy IR's left over!!! To me, that speaks volumes about the effectiveness of this medication. I just don't feel the need to take something every 4 hours now, and my pain is much more consistent in regards to flares and spikes. Still the occasional horrible pain days, but all in all a big improvement. Good Luck to all who try this med, I'm glad I have a progressive doctor who looks out for me and keeps me informed of new products.

L5/S1 Fusion
    L5 Nerve Root Decompression
    Staph Infection post-decompression op
    SCS implant/replacement/removal
    L4 is starting to go......
  • My PM said there is no way the Butrans patches would touch my pain since I am on such a high dose of extended release Oxycontin 40-50 mg every 8 hours (I would need to be around 30 mg total daily) and Oycodone 4-5 mg PRN.

I do not/will not up my meds since taking the higher dose already makes me a zomby :jawdrop:

Julie
  • advertisement
  • have been taking 5 to6 7.5 norcos a day for back pain.they have sucked the life out of me.no motivation to do anything,feel like a zombie.talked to doctor and he is going to switch me to butran patch in 2 weeks,10 mg.has anyone had similiar experience and been able to enjoy life again?
    shipper
  • Butrans is dosed in micrograms, not milligrams. Each medication works differently for someone than it does for another, but those who have tried butrans seem to like it, and it's pain relief properties. Like any pain medication , you want to use the lowest dose that offers you pain reduction to a tolerable level. No amount of opiate will eliminate all of the pain, so reaching a reduction of about 50% of your unmedicated pain is usually the goal. The only major problem is that for some, the adhesive causes an irritation but talk to your pm doctor. I have found that using an antihistamine nasal spray on the skin, then letting it dry seems to prevent the irritation.
  • I have been on Butrans patch for several months. I wanted it so I could get back to living again! Tired of being a Zombie! I am now up to the max 20mcg. But what a relief! Combined with Tramadol, I can do everything I did before. Definitely try it! It is 50 times stronger than morphine without the high.
  • advertisement
  • I just starting on Butrans (called Norspan here) today. I'm really excited about it. I like that you only need to change it once a week. I have been taking pills every four hours for nearly a year and I'm sick of it. According to my PM tolerance isn't much of an issue with this med and it causes less drowsiness and constipation. I've also read of possible anti depressant effects.
  • Okay for me except really irrates my skin. I will probably have to change
    Vicki
  • It seems to work best when I put it on the side of my chest (maybe skin is thinner there?) It does itch and get irritated sometimes but it is def. a lot better than the strong narcotics!
  • robynmomrrobynmom Posts: 1
    edited 03/27/2015 - 2:42 AM
    horselady21 said:
    I have been on Butrans patch for several months. I wanted it so I could get back to living again! Tired of being a Zombie! I am now up to the max 20mcg. But what a relief! Combined with Tramadol, I can do everything I did before. Definitely try it! It is 50 times stronger than morphine without the high.

thought u might want to know u are wrong about but ran being 50 times stronger than morphine. Fentanyl is 50 times stronger than morphine. Fentanyl is the strongest pain med out there. That's why butran is a schedule 3 drug and fentanyl is a schedule 2. u do get a fog at first but like almost any pain med your body just takes time to get used to it.
  • akanaeaakanae Posts: 4
    edited 05/08/2015 - 4:56 AM
    I've been on PM for 7 years. I used to only take 5mg Hydro when I needed it. i.e. Working too hard, long ect. 3 years ago, my pain got worse and I have been on pain meds every day since then. I've worked my way up to 10/325 Oxycodone every 4 to 6 hours. I didn't realize how bad I felt until the doc put me on 20mg Butrans patch. I went from feeling like I was moving through thick pudding, to walking on air. Not a high at all. Just much easier movement and more energy. The doc gave me my 10/325 and then cut me back to 5/325. My favorite days are when I don't have to take any pills!!!! Since the doc took me down to the 5's, I'm exhausted by 5pm. I can't keep my eyes open. My surgeon gave me 10mg oxi IR and no fatigue. What the heck in the 5's that make me so sleepy?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.