Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

what limitations are there after surgery on c6-7?

shannysshanny Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
hi i am new to this site. i just had surgery done as i had a herniated disk(c6-7). this is going on my 3rd week and the initial pain is gone but my fears are my limitations now which were never discussed with me. who else has had this done. i had a plug placed in, so i guess graphing but not from me. i have an appt tomorrow but i would like some feedback from anyone. i have now been hearing all kinds of reports that i won't be able to job or do any vigourous exercising, no lifting weights, vant go to the hair salon as i won't be able to bend my neck back and the list goes on. now i realize that perhaps i wont be able to do these things in the beginning but the report i received from an individual today was that i will NEVER be able to do these things. my life has totally been changed and i have many limitations. my whole surgery was not greatly discusses and when i asked about any limitations, none were given. please help me.
advertisement

Comments

• hi i am new to this site. i just had surgery done as i had a herniated disk(c6-7). this is going on my 3rd week and the initial pain is gone but my fears are my limitations now which were never discussed with me. who else has had this done. i had a plug placed in, so i guess graphing but not from me. i have an appt tomorrow but i would like some feedback from anyone. i have now been hearing all kinds of reports that i won't be able to jog or do any vigourous exercising, no lifting weights, cant go to the hair salon as i won't be able to bend my neck back and the list goes on. now i realize that perhaps i wont be able to do these things in the beginning but the report i received from an individual today was that i will NEVER be able to do these things. my life has totally been changed and i have many limitations. my whole surgery was not greatly discussed and when i asked about any limitations, none were given. please help me.

• Shanny, try not to believe everything you hear. Every patient is different, and while it may be true that one person can never do something again, it doesn't mean that you can't. The best thing to do is to discuss these things with your surgeon.

I am fused from C5 through T1. At first it was very difficult to bend my head back in those little sinks at the hair salon. It is still uncomfortable, but it is do-able. There are always accommodations that can be made to make it more comfortable. So to say that you can never go to the hair salon--well that is surprising.

Exercise is encouraged, but how much and what kind depends on your own situation. I know someone with a 2 level neck fusion who jogs every day. That isn't possible for me, but there are other factors stopping me.

I guess I just want to say not to panic or worry too much. Once the fusion is solid, many people are able to return to their pre-surgery activities. Take a list of these questions to your doctor appointment and your surgeon can tell you what works for your situation.

Good luck, and welcome to spine-health.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • advertisement
  • There are some people who are able to all that they did prior to surgery and possibly more. There are others who are much more limited. You are still very early in the recovery. I just met someone who had a 2 level fusion 15 years ago and does more now than she did prior. No restrictions or problems. She is my light at the end of the tunnel. As you can see from my info below I have had some issues. Hopefully I will be able to all that I did. Still no jogging, but I did not jog prior. I hope to be able to hike and wear a small backpack. I went to the hair salon at less than2 months post op. It wasn't totally comfortable but doable. You may have to think about your movements while participating in the activities that you enjoy. Just think about each day and be patient with your recovery,

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit
    6 months - end plate growth going well - no more bone stimulator, issues with hands going to vascular and hand surgeons to find out why
    8/2011 - may have TOS or RSD still researching
    9/2/2011 Rear ended at 30 mph. Think I am okay going to OSS on Tue or Wed. School begins Tues.

Dealt with the pain and issues for more than 5 years
    tried PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, cervical epidural shots and selective nerve root blocks prior to surgery