Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Afraid to go from hydrocodone direct to morphine sulfate??

kathyykkathyy Posts: 586
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Pain Medications
I've read so many of the posts on this forum. I hope someone might have a suggestion for me. My problem/dilemma is that I've been on hydrocodone 10/325 mgs X 3 for basically 3 years since my surgery. I now have a major herniation the level above the fusion (L3-4) with lots of instability and am probably looking a second back surgery. The 30 mgs daily of hydrocodone aren't getting it. I am usually through the roof with pain by the afternoon (I have to sit at work lots.) I slap my tens unit on the second I get home! It does help.

Anyway, my pain doc tried to give me Exalgo but insurance said no. Now they are trying to give me Kadian. Or, my doc said I could just go to 40 mgs hydrocodone and see if that will help for awhile. I'm afraid to go to stronger meds like Kadian. Isn't that like skipping a few steps? Anybody have any other suggestions that don't take me direct from hydrocodone to morphine?

As always, I appreciate your insight. I know that we are all affected differently by different drugs. I'm just looking for some suggestions for a stronger regime that 30 mgs hydro but not so strong as morphine sulphate.
advertisement

Comments

• Maybe the fentynal patch ? I am using the 25 mcg which hellps some along with norco. Norco alone just wont do anything anymore. Start off on the low fentynal patch. When they give me the 50 mcg i started itching but i am ok with the 25 mcg and when its still bad then i can always take a norco to help,

I am prety sensative to most of the medicarions. But fentynal seems ok, maybe you can try that kathy
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yes, I was thinking that may be the way to go but do you think that would be in addition to the hydrocodone? Unfortunatly for you, you have had a good amount of experience with pain meds so I really respect your posts and learn from each and every one. Thanks for the idea. I am trying to put together a less dramatic (than morphine) plan of action.

Don't you think the morphine was a little extreme?
    alexhurting said:
    Maybe the fentynal patch ? I am using the 25 mcg which hellps some along with norco. Norco alone just wont do anything anymore. Start off on the low fentynal patch. When they give me the 50 mcg i started itching but i am ok with the 25 mcg and when its still bad then i can always take a norco to help,

I am prety sensative to most of the medicarions. But fentynal seems ok, maybe you can try that kathy
  • advertisement
  • When I was first injured, I was (after a couple of other trials on different meds) put on percocet. After awhile, 6-7(5 hydrocodone/325 tylenol) just wasn't helping my pain. I was started on MS Contin 15 with the percocet for breakthrough. I found that it helped me since it was long acting.

I didn't have to take my percocet every three hours, on the hour. Unfortunately over time, due to tolerance and increased pain, I am now on 45 mg/3 times a day, with the percocet for breakthrough.Still at about an 8 on the pain scale.

Being that it is time released, the 15 mg is really not overly strong and I did not experience any side effects when I started it.Seems to be a good first ER med. Everyone is different though, just my thoughts on it.

Hope that you and your doctor are able to find something that helps you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • When I first injured my back after one month of Percocet I was put on MS Contin. I hope it helps your pain. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Kathy, morphine isn't that big a step up from hydrocodone really - it's about the same strength as oxycodone (allowing for equivalent oral dosage). It might work well for you if your current medication isn't cutting it any longer. Good luck in keeping your pain under control, whatever you and your doctor decide.
  • advertisement
  • Well look at it this way. Fentynal i believe is actualy stronger then morphine, only good thing about the patch is you dont have to digest it, Fentynal patch also has i think hydrocodone in it and i think methadone mix or something like that. Hell of a combo eh? Lol thats why its ok to take hydrocodine with it to increase the affect as needed.

I tried the morphine in a pill form but it was way diferent then when i had it in iv in the hospital in a pill. It realy messed with my stomach! Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Morphine and me get along, but I also get along with Percocet (and when the Pharmacy switches me...Oxycodone is fine too). Sadly I guess we have to try different meds to see what blends best?

Morphine is not that scary. The doses change just like Oxy and other meds - weaker/stronger, don't let the "name" scare you. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Exactly, Brenda! People often seem intimidated by the mere mention of morphine, but it's really no different from any of the other strong opioid agonist drugs.

The fentanyl patch contains just fentanyl, no hydrocodone, methadone, or anything else that isn't fentanyl. ;-)
  • The first time I had morphine (IV btw) was back in 2002, and I was totally happy! I (unknown to me at the time) had a strangulating tumor of an ovary! I was lucid, but the pain, wow...dropped big time! I was given the tablet form after surgery - not that good, but not bad. "Names" of certain drugs even freak out us chronic pain types...

Sad huh? :) Grrrrrr....

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Kath,

From my experience we tried morphine and it did little or nothing for me, personally, I prefer percocet over morphine. I too use fentanyl and had no issues using it in the 25 mcgs, along with percocet for break through. I was told the fentanyl was in the same family as perc so sense I have done fine on it for so long was the easy switch. We talked about something else but is in the vicodin family and I don't do well with vicodin makes me sick to my stomach. But personally I found that is the mix of medications overall that help. So while I do have those medications I also use lyrica and soma. Now it didn't happen all at one time, but rather over a period of time. Be sure whatever you do, to only change one med at a time, so if you have any ill effects you know which one is the culprit.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.