Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Advice Needed!!!

annie2003aannie2003 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in Pain Management
I am going to see my orthro surgeon today and i need advise on how to get him to actually treat my issues and pain. I had a discectomy l5 s1 in Jan. 2011 and recently had a fall(5 weeks ago) where i fractured 4 vertebrae and re-ruptured my l5. After the fall i ended up in the hospital for 4 days. So far they have put me on steroids, muscle relaxers, and PT. I am in so much pain i can hardly walk let alone do anything besides lay around. I feel like my doc thinks that all i want to pain meds but really i just want to be out of pain and back to a "normal" life with back pain. I know the laws are stirct with narcotics these days and i'm not asking for them but i can't take the pain anymore. Anyone have any suggestions on what i can ask my doctor about? Treatments? Medication? Anything?


  • My surgeon really didn't want to give me anything - not even muscle relaxers after 3 months post-op. I think that surgeons in general are not the ones to manage pain, so do you see a pain management doctor? You might have better luck getting meds there. Good luck and I'm sorry you in such pain!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Tell him you're having a lot of pain and can't do anything even walk without pain, trouble sleeping with the pain. Ask him if you should be wearing a brace. Ask if a cane would help or a walker. Hopefully you will get some pain meds until you see a Pain Management Dr. if he recommends one but should give pain meds until you see one.

    Not sure how old you are by fracturing your vertebrae with a fall just wonder if you've had a bone scan to show your bone strength? But your GP can order this. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • to SpineHealth! You're in the right place for suggestions and empathy, since we've all been there done that spine-wise.

    Agreeing with Charry, I too wonder if a bone density (DEXA) scan might be in order to rule out osteoporosis. As for treatments, only your doctor can tell you what's best for you. Best wishes, and keep us posted. >:D< , Ess
  • Nice and very helpful discussions here, thank you great people for that, from your experiences and talks, you can save many life's with just words. I have also an injury problem in arm and need help for proper care of it because I'm taking medicine from a long time and still no satisfaction.
Sign In or Register to comment.