Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 level ACDF (C5-6-7) scheduled for Wednesday!

Comments

• Hi!
    You are so right and I am trying to be 'a good girl'. I did over do it at first (which is why I fainted 5 days post-op), but now I am taking it much easier. I am trying to enjoy movies and books, but since I'm supposed to change position every 30 minutes, it's frustrating. My biggest problem is that I am not supposed to stoop or bend for 6 weeks...seriously, how can you do anything without stooping or bending? :)

I was so encouraged by reading many posts on this site - I'm glad that I can encourage others. It's truly a blessing. I am very grateful for the positive outcome of my surgery and no complications, which is a scary part of spinal surgery.

Thanks again...you have been a real angel.

Jan
  • Hi Jude...
    Please let me know how your assessment goes tomorrow! I know that my NS totally changed his treatment after I had a CT Myelogram...from a foramenotomy to the 2 level ACDF. It's good that your doctor is being thorough!! Be grateful for that.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jan
  • advertisement
  • Jan you have a pm
  • Thanks Jan for the reminder.

When I first had my surgery cancelled I was fluctuating between being angry and sobbing like a baby :-) - but yes then I realized how fortunate I am that they are being thorough. (trust me though - it did take me a few days of getting to that point :-)) Especially as I had to psyche myself up about getting the surgery.

All in all though - as I said - "glass half full" mentality is the only way to go. I figure life is way too short to look at it any other way. I know I will continue to have a few off days now and then - but I think that's normal. Us mere mortals that we be :-)

So this gal is just going to take a really deep breath - keep the faith and take each day as it unfolds. For some reason I always feel like there is a guardian angel watching over me reminding me of everything I do have to be grateful for.

I wish you much good health in this new year and many more beyond that.

Happy New Year everyone. One day at a time.

J.
  • Hey Jan - went to my NS today - and it was almost sureal compared to other visits. I guess a positive mindset does really tend to shine a different light on how things can evolve.

Today he was smiling - I even got him laughing at one point :-) - We are going with the surgery for February 1st. He did say his only concern was that as I was "so young" he was concerned about the limitations in the mobility I will have.

But seriously - if my doctor wants to keep telling me I am so young after just turning 50 then who am I to stop him :-) To me this just means that I will be able to embark upon a strong and disciplined recovery path and hopefully long term healthy regime. No more procrastination for this gal. But I will definitely also keep in mind - it takes time and does not happen overnight.

I actually told him that I joined a forum and based on everything that all the forum folks have been sharing with me, I told him I do believe this surgery will make a difference. Not to mention also prevent any further damage as he himself keeps telling me and which is the main reason that they do ACDF.

My hope is that the pain will subside and that is what I am aiming for. I was very determined and stronger this time around. Even he noticed. He said you look better today - and I said yes - and with 3 percoet a day - no wonder :-) - and then I looked directly at him and said "I want to improve my quality of life, and prevent any further damage and you can make this happen. So let's take care of it".

And he smiled - and said ok - let's book it in.

My next steps is just getting things in order for any absence from my work place as I run a recruitment agency in Toronto Canada, and most importantly I need to keep reminding myself the "art of patience". Everything will unfold as it is meant to.

Thanks again everyone - will keep you posted.

J.

• advertisement
  • What a difference a day makes! I am happy for you, if that makes sense...it's a relief once it is scheduled (and I had a lot of pre-op stuff to do prior to surgery), so now you know you have it set and you can get to work 'getting ready.' Get your teeth cleaned - you won't be able to do that for a minimum of 3 months. I also got my hair cut and colored, my toe nails painted, and had a facial done. I wanted to be pampered so I could feel as good as possible after surgery!
    We are about the same age - I will turn 50 this summer. My NS said this is the average age!! Isn't that crazy?
    I'm sorry you are having so much pain prior to surgery - my situation was different, with the nerve compression. I am down to 1/2 percocet 3-4 times a day and hope to be off by the end of next week. I try to ice my shoulder area a couple of times a day, and I cannot wait to start physical therapy. I see my surgeon on the 12th.

I will be praying for you, that your surgery will be successful, that your pain will subside. I tell you, I have not had one episode of numbness/tingling since my surgery...so I could not be more pleased.

However, this whole 'patience' thing is tough - I think this must be the lesson God wants me to learn through this. Patience. Ugh.

Hang in there and keep up the great attitude!
    let me know if I can help in any way.

Gentle hugs,
    Jan
  • Hi everyone glad Judem has surgery sorted,I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you here in the UK and wishing you a speedy recovery come february.
    desb63
  • HiJan, just came accrosse some of your post and hope that you are doing much better now. My 4level ACDF was Dec 1,2011. I am doing pretty good, this choaking feeling when laying down is still hear...ugh. I am suppose to start chiropractic therapy here sometime next week when they getit set up, hope it helps loosen me up! Have to wear the hard coller at least 2 more weeks, wear the shower coller and wearing my soft when I sleep or just sitting around the house. Oh yea the lovely BGS. I have to wear mine 4hrs a day for 3 months. Doc said things look good tho. I understand the constipation and the fainting... however I did not faint.. had been light headed, and felt like it several times from not enough liquids. And coughing up all this phelm is driving me crazy,lol Keep hanging n there! God Bless :)
  • I guess we are all so different...I didn't have to wear a collar hardly at all - I slept in it the first two nights, and my doc said, no...don't do that!

I am doing much better - I go back to the surgeon on the 12th and hope he releases me to drive, go back to work part-time, and start physical therapy. I walk multiple times a day, and fortunately, we've been having lovely weather (almost 80 degrees) so I can sit outside and get fresh air.

The BGS seems to be helped by my wearing a 'travel' collar type pillow, backward...with the straps and electronics sitting on the pillow instead of my shoulders and chest. I do feel tightness in my neck, which I hope will be helped by PT...but again, I have not had one instance of numbness/tingling in my arm since I woke from surgery...so I am thrilled.

Take care of yourself and God bless...praying for all of us for healing.

Jan
  • appreciate the well wishes.

As I had mentioned to PHmom - when I was at my NS yesterday, I was speaking very favorably about the spine-health forum.

I'm glad I discovered it :-)

Will definitely keep everyone posted seeing as I'm enjoying all the information on a regular basis myself.

J.
advertisement