Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

35yr DDD can I argue for surgery instead injections Pls Help !!

advertisement

Comments

• thank you for your post.

yes surgery is most deffinatley my VERY last option. And im glad surgery is not on the table yet at this point as I understand there are still several tests im yet to have. I am aware that ddd is something almost everyone will shows signs of, some may suffer very severly & others not even be aware of the condition.

I know its impossible for me to explain the severity of the pain & loss of movement im suffering directly from ddd in my 2 disease discs. But as Ive said before it has been confirmed by my consultant that my ddd is at a stage that does NEED treating!And my clinical examination does more than back that up ! The doctors have me already on very strong painkillers being just a step down from morphine, along with other drugs for anti-inflamatory & muscle relaxants etc etc.

Im unsure after reading your message whether you have fully read all my post's or just gone of the title of my initial post? I am NOT wanting surgery anymore, I have already tried several conservitive methods to no avail.I am NOT wanting stronger pills as I am on the stongest tablets possible for me which actually have terrible side effects which I honestly wouldnt wish on my worst ememy !! I have had clincal diagnoses which they have conirmed ddd in 2 discs is the source of my back pain & mobility problems & they have told me the problem needs treating. I have alread tried a few conservative treatments but to no avail. You say in most cases the condition can be treated with exercise & over counter drugs. believe me this has be long tried & just didnt work in my case. I can assue you I would not be under a consultant if a bit of exercise & few over counter pills worked. I also have a very severe nerve pain/loss of feeling in my leg & foot which they seem very concerned about. but as they carnt find where the nerve is pinched they are unable to treat my ddd. They have now refered me for more tests to source this problem then they can treat both problems safley & in the best manner possible.

I am merely here to gain any extra information, help or advice that i can either gain myself or help others.
  • Ash,
    It sounds like you have two problems the pinched nerve and DDD which as yet are being treated as two separate issues; you mention them as one problem and as yet have no diagnosis or evidence that supports that suggestion. It may well be that time may link them in the future and you have to deal with what you have now, rather than what it might be. Ron’s advice was good in that without surgery which you say you do not want or has been offered, conservative treatments are your best option until diagnostic evidence suggests otherwise.

Many here have unexplained pain and limited evidence and still all the pain symptoms, the only option for pain at this stage is to manage it more effectively and if what you are doing or have done is not working then many more things are possible.

5 years is a long time to have these symptoms, the best known management is a “simultaneous range of treatments used together ” they are suggested to be more effective when used all at the same time than individually, the people here have been where you are now, you need to be open to ideas and change itself, you do mention trying some other treatments, can you tell us what they will be and what you expect to happen. If we all just wait for the doctor to find our solution we are not doing all that we could to help ourselves.

Take care and tell us what your next step is, we do understand, I have had chronic pain for 22 years, with titanium rods and a fusion. Ron has had pain for 30 years perhaps, that’s 50 years of experience.

John
  • advertisement
  • I have now been diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis L4/L5, also have fracture of pars joint, also now have a herniated disc which goes up into the space were the vertabrea has slipped. Also my ddd has become much worse. Most days i am unable to get out of be & struggle terrible when I do. I have had all the pills avail non steriod, anti-inflamitory, nerve tables, pain killers, physical threapy, cortisone injection (done by live x-ray in theatre)My surgeon seem to think after a recent xray & yet another mri booked its looking like im going to need surgery :-(