Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

pharmacist gave me too many meds not too little

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
it is weird. my wife read that most complaints against pharmacists where they always give too little meds. people are always short and never ahead in meds. well my pharmacist goofed and instead of 120 oxy, they gave me 150. there was no note from dr or whoever to state that they increased my doseage. i usually get 120 4 x's a day. not it is 150 4-6 times a day. in fact i mentioned to my dr that he goofed by giving me 150. he wrote the script for 120 and not 150. oh well it it their problem now especially if they get audited from dea. apparently according to my wife a person can now request a count of meds in front of them to make sure they are not getting shorted which is 95% of the case with pharmacies. so if you are having problem with shortage, have them count pills in front of you
jon
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement

Comments

• You should contact the pharmacy and make them aware of the mistake. Do you want the pharmacist to lose their job over a mistake? Do the right thing.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    I've never counted mine. It must be pretty close cause I don't run out.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • advertisement
  • counted when it looked like there weren't enough in the bottle. If they did give you too many, you should let them know. I think when goofs are made, eventually someone's going to get into trouble, and you don't want it to be you.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    Let them be aware of the error. They will not ask for the pills back, once they are dispensed they cannot take them back. The main thing is to cover your butt so you dont end up in trouble with your docs. I realize this is not your error but make sure you do the right thing and cover yourself.
    Susan
  • I would think as they short so many people they will never notice anyways so i would save it for back up medication in case i had problem runing out of meds and cant see the dr untill later date,

I never counted my meds and would never know if its short or not,
    I always try to take less pills then whats allowed so i have back up and nothing wrong with having a few back up meds,

Because nobody going care when you are screaming you cant take the pain and dr is out of town and cant see you for another 3 weeks,

In my 20 + years i have learned that much,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • advertisement
  • I have been shorted a few times and the only reason I was aware of the mistake was because my pharmacist called and told me! It was always one(1)pill.

He said he discovered his mistake when he did his closing count!! How honest is that??

Thanks for the tip Jon.

Patsy W
  • I would absolutely not just call but go to the Pharmacy and even show them....Not only is it the right thing to do....this will show them what type of patient you are that you wouldn't just keep them and take the extra medicine...as well as you are an honest person that cares about their job as well so that someone doesn't get fired over this mistake...

Wouldn't we want them to do the same thing if there was a mistake on their end of less pills?

I have been with the same Pharmacy for over 10 years...Having a good relationship with them, just like my Dr. goes a really long way when anything should come up..

Sorry...but I can't see do anything but the right thing here...
  • i took your advice and called and told then and retorted that i did not want them to get into trouble. they said they could take the pills out of next months count. so now i can sleep and hopefully get a christmas present from them. ha ha
    no sweat. i don't think anything would have happened but my conscience got the best of me. i have been with these guys for 10 years and they compound my oxy and fenatyl lollipops.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Did you happen to speak with the manager there? Make sure you get the name of the person you spoke to and the time saved....Just in case....I have learned to keep every single record of every single phone call for everything in my life...not just medical...And it has saved me so much time/effort...

Anyway....You have just moved up another notch in their thoughts of you as a honest patient...As I wrote...hopefully if something ever happened in the other direction...they will remember that you are someone who plays by the rules and was thinking of them...

Some people say Karma...I happen to believe in God....but either way...you did what was right...no matter what happens in the future..

• i have known the manager for years. he goofs a lot. once he gave me methadone instead of oxy. i told him and he changed the meds. one time he shorted me and i took the bottle back to him, each size bottle means so many pills. that is how he knew he shorted me. he goofs but he is basically honest
    jon
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.