Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Update: Going back in for redo on Friday

tison1200ttison1200 Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I posted a few weeks back. I had had surgery L5-S1 laminectomy, Diskectomy, and something that starts with an F (dont remember what its called) anyways right away after surgery my legs felt great. The day after surgery while doing PT I had sudden and SEVERE sciatica in my right leg, which was opposite the leg I had the original pain in. They did an ultrasound to make sure it wasnt a clot and then wrote it off as swelling. Well it was really bad when I went home and when I went in for my 1 week checkup and they ordered another MRI.

The MRI came back inconclusive and again it was wrote off as swelling since I was only a week out.

Today I went in for my 1 month checkup and told the Dr I was still having quite a bit of pain in my right leg and lower back. She starts digging around some and finds the MRI notes which said there was a disc like piece pushing up against my right nerve. They couldnt tell if it was a piece that had broken off or a herniation. So she gets the Dr that perfored my surgery and they both look at the MRI and my history notes and come to the conclusion that they should go back in and see whats causing the sciatica pain down my right leg.

They both feel that its a disc herniation again. So I go in on Friday for another surgery. Hopefully this one takes care of all my issues.
advertisement

Comments

• Wishing you all the best in your upcoming surgery. I hope this fixes everything for you.

Hugs.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF 
    Degenerative Disc Disease.
    Sciatica.
    Chronic Pain.
  • Well im in my room bored alteady. The Dr has kept the cathader in untill tomorrow when i get fitted with a soft brace. Good news is im not on the pain pump this time!
  • advertisement
  • Glad you made it through the surgery successfully. It's always good to hear of less pain on round #2.

Hopefully you are headed home or home already.
  • Thanks. I got out roughly 24 hours after surgery. I'm feeling a way better this time around. I'm able to get out of bed much easier and move around much easier. I am however trying to move as little as possible for the first couple of days or so to let everything heal a little more.

The incision site is more painful then last time but I can deal with that over the leg pain.
  • tison1200 said:
    ...something that starts with an F (dont remember what its called)
    Foraminotomy?

Can you describe what specific excersizes they made you perform in PT?

The first 3 weeks post-op are critical for scar tissue to attempt to close the disc. Try like hell not to strain, cough, sneeze, retch, crunch your abs, clench your core muscles, lift things, nudge them, drag, push, twist... you get the idea.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • advertisement
  • Paul said:
    tison1200 said:
    ...something that starts with an F (dont remember what its called)
    Foraminotomy?

Can you describe what specific excersizes they made you perform in PT?

The first 3 weeks post-op are critical for scar tissue to attempt to close the disc. Try like hell not to strain, cough, sneeze, retch, crunch your abs, clench your core muscles, lift things, nudge them, drag, push, twist... you get the idea.

Yeah that sounds about right (foraminotomy)

The exercises were very simple while laying in bed I was to work feet up and down. (flossing the nerve is another way its been described to me) another was sliding my leg up and down while keeping my heel on the bed. They also wanted me to do some slow squats while holding onto a counter. (I never did those in the hospital though.)

Lastly they wanted me up and walking which is where My disc popped again. I had a horrible time getting up out of bed so my guess is I pushed it a little to hard and it bulged and finally popped while walking.

Zeb
advertisement