Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

acdf C5/6 & C6/7 surgery all dun

Comments

• I'm not sure if I have welcomed you to Spine Health before, but if not, welcome. :H

I am interested to know what symptoms you have with your cord compression and myelopathy.

I have had varying opinions from different neurosurgeons as to whether we should continue to wait and watch, or if we should do surgery now. My surgery will also be an ACDF on C3/4 and C4/5.

Do you get headaches? (I believe mine are due to the high level of the compression - and you have the same)
    Do you have stiffness in your legs when you get up from sitting or lying, making it hard to walk for the first few steps?
    Do you get a stiffening spasming in your legs (and abdomen) in bed as you wake up, or during the night?

Other than the symptoms above that I get, my symptoms are subtle, don't last long, but are felt all over the place and sometimes quite severe, like electric shocks or stabbing pains.

Do you have a date in June for your surgery yet?

I hope that a cervical surgery will give as good a relief to my pain and symptoms as my lumbar fusion 2 years ago did.

• I just wanted to respond to your post, because I believe that a lot of my spasms are from spinal cord compression. Overall, I am much better, but I had a lot of spasms in my abdominal muscles that I had originally attributed to having 2 C-sections. Now I think it's from the myelopathy. I still get pins and needles in my hand sporadically and leg/feet pain - nothing that lasts.

The worst is that I still get headaches. Not all the time, but they can be very unpleasant. I think that surgery is not a bad idea before things become chronic. Good luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • advertisement
  • Hi all, just an up date on Wots happening, I have slowed down at work a bit and its helped, I have got my pre op this Tuesday 15th and I have to be at the hospital at 7:30am on Friday for my op :) and I finish work on Wednesday so I have thusday to get sorted, & my grabber came today do I'am all set for Friday hopefully.
  • Hi all, well I had the op a week ago and all went well a bit, my left arm and hand is better but my right hand hurts, I had the op Friday and my right hand started to get numb so I phoned the hospital sunday and they said come in Tuesday and see the surgeon so I did and he said they have to pull your arms when in surgery and he pull my right arm to hard and did some damage to the nerves in my wrist, but he hopes it will fix it self. If not he can do another op on my wrist, it was hard to sleep for the first 4 days but now am back to just 1 pillow instead of 5, and I didn't need a grabber I just bent down with my back straight, swollowing is hard but its getting better, and going in the car isn't that bad, I think I could drive in 2 weeks coz in a week I can look left and right quite far but up an down is not so good, thru used the bone they cut out off my neck for the graft, I have to see the surgeon on the 17 July to see if I can go back to work or not.

• I bet it feels great to be on this side of surgery, doesn't it?

Hopefully your arm will settle down soon and the feeling will come back.

I had an appointment with a neurologist and my neurosurgeon last Thursday. The neurologist appointment is to rule out MS before proceeding with surgery. The neurosurgeon has said that I should have this surgery in the next 6 months to get rid of the risk of spinal cord injury and possible paralysis if I was in an accident or had a fall.

I am very interested to hear how your recovery goes, to give me an idea of what to expect. I believe that surgery higher up in the neck (C3/4 C4/5) can make the swallowing more of a problem. Have you got any tips to help with that?

Keep following all the rules and hopefully your recovery will go smoothly and speedily.

Take care,

• advertisement
  • Thanks jellyhall I found moving my head very hard after surgery but used my hand to support my head and moved it round to put it in a comfortable position, but that was only for 2 days, and swollowing, I was eating a cheese sandwich 3hrs after surgery which I thought I wound'nt be able to do , and I just put my head down and then swollowing is fine, I am glad I had the surgery and hope you get yours soon. Lee
advertisement