Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

May surgeries?

techgurl1988ttechgurl1988 Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am not sure this is the right place for this but thought I would start a post for this month since I am having a MIS TLIF this Monday, May 7th. Anyone else having surgery this month? This is my first back surgery and I am kinda freaked out. Any surgery freaks me out actually.

I have two boys, ages 18 and 20. My 18 yr old is autistic. He is literally my life. I have extreme anxiety thinking about something happening to me. His dad and I divorced in 99. I remarried in 2007. My husband is awesome, and he really tries to understand Z(not sure if I can use names), but he is in his 40's and never had kids of his own, and well, he has a lot to learn. So while he is learning, I am here to teach, but what if something happens to me? FREAKS ME OUT worrying about it. I do believe the Big Guy upstairs is in control, but as I get closer to the date, I am getting more anxious.

So I thought I would share my anxiety here. What are some of your anxieties about having surgery? Maybe yours is related to the surgery itself? Like another problem I have is getting really sick from anesthesia. I can't think of anything more horrible then having to vomit when you just had surgery! Ugh terrible and feels like you are dying!

Tracy,

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
advertisement

Comments

• I am having my acdf c6 c7 op on the 18th May, I am like you " wot if this happens or wot if that happens" but the wife is the opposite to me, she says if it happens we will deal with it, I have had 4 big ops in my life so far and iam still ere, enjoy the experience, that's wot I am going to do, and I find its a good rest in hospital, I will keep an eye on your post to see how your op went. Lee
  • Im a May 7th as well!
    Going in for a 2 level ACDF on Monday.

Im anxious too, but trying to focus on it being a standard procedure for the doc and that recovery will be fine. Its not like we havent dealt with pain before, and Im sure you guys are as used to it as myself.

Im still dealing with a bad flare up that started around 3 months ago and just never healed. Have had my spinal stuff for 5 years now, and this last sucker pushed me over the edge. Things just keep getting worse.
    Im ready and just want to have it done so I can start focus on recovery and get my life back, at least some of it.

You will be fine after May 7th, maybe you will be fantastic! I take fine, but would love fantastic :).

Best of luck, will be thinking of you!
    Vic
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • advertisement
  • Lee and Vick, it's good to hear from other "May babies" :)

Lee, yes, I am a worrier, it's what I do. I have a very vivid imagination LOL. So I really need to tone it down and quit freaking myself out! I hope you can do the same.

Vick, I like what you said about this being a standard procedure for the doctor. You are right, he has done a lot of them. Another thing that made me feel good was everyone ai talked to at the hospital couldn't stop saying how great a surgeon he is, how kind, compassionate, and skilled he is. So that really impressed me.

I am a control freak so it's really hard to let someone else take charge but in this case, I have to.

Oh, I went and did pre-op testing yesterday and I guess they found something weird with my EKG so now I have to go see a cardiologist tomorrow! I have been experiencing high blood pressure since getting 6 steroid injections since September. Along with not hot flashes, but fevers. Then the other night I was lying in bed and my chest began hurting. It went away after 5 min so I didn't think anything of it. Now I have something else to freak out about LOL :-)

Tracy,

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Surgery coming up on May 16th. Pre-op appointments done. All that is left to do is show up.
  • Having acdf c4-c5 on May 10th. Good luck everyone!
  • advertisement
  • I am opting out of my surgery - - at least for now

Surgery Plan Assessed:

Surgery #1 - ACDF C-6/7 T-1/2 Plates & Screws

Month Later

Surgery #2 - C-5 to T-2/3 Rods & Screws

Recovering from MVA neuro-muscular injuries & progressive neuropathy flare-up now in right arm/hand

PT - Aqua Therapy next 8 weeks

Wishing you Spiney's courage, serenity and keeping you and your surgeons in my prayers.
  • I'm having a two level ACDF on Thursday May 10. C5-6, and C 6-7. I think...I have the disc from the newest MRI, and I'm not sure that my surgeon has seen it. Can they send it electronically? I hope they don't add anything else. I'm mostly worried about my throat and about the three hour ride home from the hospital! I know...details,details.

I'll be thinking of all of you and your surgeries this month. Good luck to us all!

• Less than 2 days away from my 2 level ACDF, and now Im freaking out!

My neck is flaring up again after a week of being pretty good. In a way its good, cause it reminds me why Im going in Monday morning...

Im trying to distract myself and the house needs to be cleaned before I go in, but I have a hard time pulling myself together :(.

• I'm taking pain meds, and doing it anyway. I won't be able to do it afterwards and it's distracting!! I figure I will feel much better coming home to clean laundry and a clean house! ...and doggies!
  • Getting some rest now and trying to bring down the pain levels with meds.
    Then I will have a window in the afternoon when I can get some stuff done.

How are you holding up mentally? Anxious? It has crept up on me that Im almost there, and I will be a basket case tomorrow night and monday morning...
    Reading really helps me put the focus somewhere else, so I try to read as much as possible now. My Kindle goes with me to the hospital!

advertisement