Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

May surgeries?

Comments

• I bought a bunch of books at the used book store for afterwards, and I downloaded a book on my Ipod for the hospital. I thought using earphones would block some of the noise, and I wasn't sure about holding a book right after? I wanted to buy a Kindle Fire, but didn't have time. My surgery was just recently scheduled.

I think that I generally feel so bad, that I'm anxious to get it done. I'm tired of this pain and weakness! I'm also very tired of taking pain meds!
  • Oh yeah, the pain meds! Nasty suckers that rob you of energy, but necessary... Lets hopw we can kick them after surgery!

You are right, perhaps it will be hard grabbing and lifting a book or an ipad and such the first few days. My left arm is already so weak from nerve damage, that I cant lift with it anyway, but I usually lay on my side in bed and prop up the ipad or kindle on pillows.
    However, after surgery I doubt I can lie down on my side comfortably and read?
    I might have to resolve to audiobooks and radio the first few weeks...

Anyways, these are minor details in the grand scheme of things! Surgery is there to make us better in the long run. In do time we will read, run, maybe jump and kick our pill stash!

I will be thinking of you on Monday! What time is your surgery? Mine is 1:30 PM and I have to be there at 11:30 AM.

/Vic
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • advertisement
  • I haven't been here long enough, I know I am called a "spiney" so what are the neck people called? "Neckies"? LOL Well good luck to all you neckies out there haha.

I actually got a bit of bad news yesterday. My pre op testing came up with an abnormal result for my EKG. So they sent me to a cardiologist yesterday morning to do another EKG and an ultrasound and the EKG there came up abnormal. They said the ultrasound looked ok. So I asked what "abnormal" meant and he said it looked like it was telling him I had a blocked artery. ARGH! Can things get any worse?

I am glad they are catching things, I wouldn't want to be under anesthesia and have something happen that is unexpected. But still, they have to cancel surgery for Monday, and now I have to go in for a chemical stress test on the 10th. So wish me luck that it was just a blip and that everything is fine! I honestly think the 6 shots of steroids in 6 months is what is messing with my heart and everything else!

I posted in another forum that my doctor wasn't honest with me when he did the facet block and the rhizotomies. He told me he didn't use steroids then but he did. I also found out he gave me another shot during my discogram! I have bad reactions such as fevers for weeks, I have gained 60 lbs in 6 months! I have hair on my freaking chin!! :P Not to mention all the swelling, my head looks like a beach ball. So here i am walking like I am 80 with a corncob up my butt, with a beard, and a beach ball head!

This is NOT cool!
    Tracy,

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • To hear this!
    But glad they caught it and want to run more tests.
    I only did blood work as part of my pre-op, no ekg or anything... Should I worry?

One of the reasons I choose surgery in the end, was to stop all the steroid treatments.
    I too felt that it cannot be good to keep injecting steroids into my joints year after year, with only a few months relief from it.

Let us know how everything goes and about your new surgery date.

/Vic
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • I am also having a fusion on the 21st of May I aM SCARED to death also, I know I have a awesome neuro surgeon I am like you vic in that since 2006 when I had a partial disectomy I have been struggling on pain meds but still functioning...then six months ago I had three bad falls all within a month most of the winter I was on the sofa....since the first surgery my whole life changed ...my life has revolved around .....can I do this or that ...do I have enougfh pain pills with me to get thru the day...etc etc...now I finally went to a awesome Spinal Institue in Reston va..about an hour from my honme.....omg had new mri done ..I just sat there when the dr came in and gave me a hug and said You Are in Bad Shape......What??? all my friends say that I have been in denial for years...I am/was an equine sports massage therapist....., gardener, wanna bee photographer.have three grandsons , I am active but this last bout has just about did me in, for the first time since this happened to me I was giving up , giving in to the pain...lots of back pain, nerve pain .....numbness in hands arms neck ...it seems that my neck that I have become accustomed to its stiffness soreness, and pain....needs a four level fusion.......crap I am falling apart, I need a knee replacement, elbow surgery to relieve nerve compression there......so I have decided to go with this tri level fusion done a lot of research ,,,the biggest thing I think is to have a Great Dr..., a good attitude, and be dedicated to the rehabilation process....I hope i am up to this......
  • advertisement
  • I take daily doses of prednisone for RA and after being the slim one of the family am now becoming very round. The moon face is the worst. Had Injections last week on top of the prenisone and have been unable to sleep.
    I went through the abnormal EKG, abnormal stress test, abnormal echo and finally had an angiogram and no blockage. Have had bouts with irregular heart beat and had an ablation in 2003 actually woke up in the middle of the procedure when they were carterizing the heart muscle... In recovery I asked the surgeon if that was supposed to happen and he said, "you remember that huh?".
    Good luck with your stress test, hopefully it will be just a minor set back on getting your life back.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I can't believe you went through all the abnormal tests and then they found no blockage?? That's crazy! So Ai am starting to think the steroids are causing these false positives. Not just from what you have said, but I have been researching this here at spine-health as well as on the web. It seems there is a high percentage of false positive EKG's for people taking steroids or getting the injections.

The weird thing is, either the doctors are not aware, or they feel it is not important to tell the patient. I did not receive any pamphlet or explanation of what the steroids would do. I resent that but I also blame myself for not being proactive with my own health. I know a lot of people that trust doctors explicitly. This is one of the reasons I do not.
    Tracy,

• Hey everyone. Hope your doing well. I am having a L2-S1 anterior/posterior fusion. I hope this is the real one cuz I have got pushed back so many times. I'm happy it did. I needed to do thing to help me grow as a person before I didn't think that we're not that important.
  • I had my 3 level fusion lumbar surgery on April 30th, but there doesn't seem to be an April group. When I had breast cancer 3 yrs ago, there was a whole group of us who started chemo during the same month and sharing our experiences was SO SO helpful. I knew what to expect and we also shared successful treatments for side effects.

Looks like a couple of you had surgery today. Wishing you healing thoughts and hopefully you can sleep through your first week. I'm just now getting on the computer as often as I did pre-surgery. I'm a reader too and love my Kindle. I made sure I had books downloaded prior to going into the hospital. Surprisingly, at times I've been able to sleep/read on my side. Takes a lot of pillow arranging, but it can be done.

These forums have been a lifesaver for me, providing lists of items I should have on hand. I have several 'reachers' in different parts of my house. Toilet risers and a bed rail have been useful.

Pain meds work pretty well but be sure they prescribe Senna for you and get some Milk of Magnesia to take every other day. For those of you with anxiety you might think about asking for some Xanex--you can even take one the day of surgery. During cancer Xanex was my best friend, but I haven't used much during this surgery.

Let me know if you have questions, some of us out of the OR might answer. Please share your experiences as it's beneficial to all of us.

PS Love your shepherd, Dave. I've always had shepherds, but now I just have one plus 2 rescue dogs.

Linda
  • Ms. pixie I hope you are resting after surgery today and that everything went well.

Dogrescuer congrats on making it through such a tough journey with breast cancer! You are one tough cookie!

So 3 levels huh? Ouch! Yes, I have anxiety problems sometimes so I will ask about the Xanax thank you. So are you controlling your pain pretty well?
    Tracy,

advertisement