Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

May surgeries?

Comments

• One week out of surgery the pain isn't too bad. Percocet and the prescribed muscle relaxant pretty do their jobs. My increased tolerance level has made me less loopy (I think) when I'm taking them. But I still wouldn't trust myself to begin any quilting project while under the influence.

Xanex has served me well. It's comforting to know they're on my top shelf for when I'm having "one of those days." Not only did I have breast cancer, but the spinal MRI I had to find out what was going on in my back, accidentally showeded a kidney tumor (cancerous). That really threw me for a loop. Xanex helped get me through though. I had my left kidney removed 2 mos before my back surgery. But I'm healed from that surgery. They think they got it all by removing the kidney, but I have to go for scans every 3 mos. The back pain has helped me take my mind off worrying about the scans scheduled June 4th.

Remember to make 'adjustments' to furniture if you have to. My favorite couch was too low, making it torture to get up or down. We put 2 retaining wall bricks under each leg and now it's the perfect height.
  • Did anybody else's doctor start pain meds before the surgery?

I am supposed to start oxy, celebrex, and lyrica 3 days before. Dr. says it really helps to have the system pre-loaded. Of course, with those on board, I won't worry too much about anything.

The Dr. I am using hasn't missed a beat. Pain, narcotic side effects, icing, back brace, bone stimulator all ready to go.

PS: Because I'm in the middle of finals, no good pain meds. Tylenol just doesn't cut it....
  • advertisement
  • I'm having 3 level ACDF on May 15th. I've been taking pain meds every day now for 2-3 months. The other day I took a percocet and laid down in bed with my dog to watch TV. I came upon a dog movie with Richard Gere..."Hachi, A dog's tale" (i had never heard of it). Well, my wife walked in on me crying like a baby...pathetic. Percocet and a sad dog movie DO NOT go well together.
    - Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012
  • no my dr didn't prescribe any pain meds before my surgery. it seems the anesthesia, which lasts days after surgery, would out do any pain meds taken before surgery. in fact celebrex is an nsaid, and i thought you weren't supposed to take any nsaids a week before surgery. i could very well be wrong though. excuse: loopy from pain meds.

tylenal is a sugar pill. JMO

good luck with your finals!!
  • VinG your post made me laugh out loud! Not laughing at you haha but it is funny because that is how a lot of us girls get when the hormones go whacky once a month, then top it off with pain meds? I am freaking "psycho woman" just ask my hubby hahaha!

I live in Texas and was watching the news tonight about how a woman got car jacked here in my town and I just started bawling. Why? 1. It was sad 2. It happened where I live 3. Steroids, pain pills, and hormones!
    Tracy,

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • advertisement
  • Gary, I've been on pain meds of some kind since 2009. But when I met my neurosurgeon in February, he upped my dose of Vicodin and added tramadol and methocarbamol. When we agreed to do surgery, he ordered a back brace to be fitted, which was done last week in my home (very convenient!). Since my surgery has been postponed, I am trying to hang in there with a tight med schedule. Here is what my day looks like, maybe this will help you and others.
    First off, I don't sleep very well and since I have been off work this week, I have been sleeping in so today I started my med schedule when I woke up at 11am. I DO NOT reccomend doing that, it is way to long to let your body be without meds if you have chronic pain. Because I did that, I had to take 2 Vicodin instead of my usual 1 1/2.

(This is my med and treatment schedule, please do not follow this without consulting your doctor)

11am- 2 Vicodin (10/325mg)
    Ice pack with biofreeze
    12 pm 2 tramadol (50mg each)
    Ice pack with biofreeze
    2pm-2 methocarbamol (750 mg each)
    Ice pack with biofreeze
    3pm- 1 1/2 Vicodin
    Ice pack and TENS UNIT
    6pm -2 tramadol
    Ice pack and TENS Unit
    8 pm 2 methocarbamol
    TENS unit
    9 pm 2 Vicodin
    TENS. W/ ice pack

I now can take 2 more tramadol (usually in the middle of the night) and/or a half tab of vicodin (which I failed to do last night), and at 2 am I can take more methocarbamols but probably won't unless I get woke buy severe back spasms which happens.

I have requested a med that lasts longer so I don't have to take something every hour to 2 hours but my NS said I would be crossing over to the addiction zone with anything else (Oxy, fentanyl, etc) and my severe anxiety over addiction would get worse.

If you are in pain now I would request meds before surgery but if you aren't, you can ask your doctor about getting you a rx before you are admitted so you have it ready when you get out and don't have to wait.
    Tracy,

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Techgurl1988,

I hope the EKG is nothing but a blip. I had heart problems 2 years ago that fortunately led down the medication route. After all the testing and heart catheter had a heart enlargement without blockage. Nothing abnormal now. But, they still want to see the cardiologist report before surgery.

43 y/o full time law student with two children at home.

August 2011: woke up in intense pain. Family Doctor ordered an MRI. Scheduled followup with NS.
    October 2011: NS ordered PT, and RICE. MRI showed the disks at L4 and L5 dessicated and bulging.
    January 2011: Started 2nd round of PT with another clinic. Had injection that didn't help.
    March 2011: 2nd MRI. Scheduled surgery. Conventional treatments had not helped the central back pain, nor had they. 2nd MRI was a little worse than the first.
    May 2011: Surgery on the 16th (hopefully)
  • Hey every one I hope your doing great with your recovery. My surgery is in 5 days.
  • I'm doing well. Just walk, walk, walk as soon as you can. Ice chips for the hospital. Good luck. I was so miserable, that I didn't even get nervous, and I'm so happy I had the surgery. I'm doing just exactly what the doctor says, so that I fuse.It's easier than I thought it would be.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you
  • Insurance denied me at the eleventh hour (i.e. 4 in the afternoon the day before surgery). No surgery for me, for a while.
advertisement