Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Progress report...sciatica nerve pain...

brianferrybbrianferry Posts: 77
edited 07/27/2012 - 12:13 PM in Chronic Pain
I started to get some serious hip pain which radiated tp my thigh and leg at the beginning of march,

since then I have tried prolotherapy, supplements and exercises....

a couple of weeks ago my condition improved....

I don`t wake up with severe pain in my leg in the morning when i get up,

I saw some improvement when i began to incorporate pelvic exercises to strengthen my core abdominal muscles....

the effect was instant...

i woke up the next day better....

I still have some major issues...can`t stand or walk for more than 15 minutes....

without incurring hip pain....

I don`t know what exactly it is that is working,

the prolo, supplements or exercise....

maybe it`s the combination of all three....

maybe my sciatica is beginning to heal....

I am trying to do it the natural way without pain meds...

to be continued.....

Live to Pray
advertisement

Comments

• Keep up the good work and let us know how things go.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • let me fill you in on my health issues so you can get an idea of where i`m coming from.....

I started with lower back pain in 2001....

got a small lumbar hernia lifting some wood early in the morning at work....

went for some x rays and found out i had compressed spinal discs at l4 and l5....

my lumbar area improved about 5 years later when i got an inversion table....

never had any major problems after that....

I have always taken lots of supplements...you name it...i`ve tried them....

two years ago I got a UTI and was prescribed ciproflaxcin (fluoroquinilones)....

had an adverse reaction to the antibiotic that left me disabled for the next 18 months....

fluoroquinilones are known to cause tendon damage....

in january of this year my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and I had to take care of her 24/7....

as her conditioned worsened my stress increased...

and that`s when my hip began to hurt....

before getting an inversion table i had tried to decompress my lumbar spine by strapping my waist to the car seatbelt and pulling myself from the other side of the car....

one day i pulled too hard and heard something rip....

no pain at that moment....

but the rip would come back to haunt me as time went by....

the pain would come and go...

but in feb. of 2012....it would come to stay....

I have grade two spondylothesis...

which two doctors say is the root of my hip pain....

I tend to disagree at the moment....

because i feel the cipro agravated the tendon rip in my hip....

which is where the pain originates....

if i have discomfort in my lumbar area...

I hang myslef on the inversion table and things get back to normal....

but the hip pain is not so easy to solve....

as I mentioned previously...

my condition is improving and I am writing this so people can know what i am doing and that there is hope....without resorting to pain meds....

In the morning I lie with my back to an electric heat pad and give myself some deep tissue massage with a wooden ball...I use the wooden ball anytime i have pain...it relieves my pain relatively quick...that and some stretching for my hips...

I`m not out of the woods...

I still yearn for the day where i can walk and stand for at least an hour or more without discomfort....

I also began to gain weight about 4 weeks ago....

I used to be slim....cipro made me lose 40 pounds in three weeks!

went from 175 to 135 pounds....

I am at 160 right now...5.8ft tall

so right now i`m trying to get back to at least 140....

the extra weight has much to do with spine health...

I did some pelvic exercises with sit ups followed by inversion table sit ups....

I feel good!

this is my program so far....

i feel there is hope....

I can still remember the days in march when i got up in the morning out of bed in excrucitaing pain.....i would go crying to work....

my protocol so far has at least eliminated a great deal of that pain....

to be continued....

Live to Pray
  • advertisement
  • june 1st.

went in for my prolotherapy injections today....

had to drive three hours to get there....

this would be my second with this doc....and my fourth altogether ( I did my second one on my own but i`ll explain that another day).....

he gave me about 20 shots altogether, lower back and both gluteos,

we have excellent communication and he is very open about what he does....

I live in mexico...and he has taken courses in illinois, cuba and europe,

he told me his technique is a combination of all three places he has studied....

I forgot to ask him exactly all the ingredients he used this time...but he did mention that this time he added calcium citrate to the mix....

I took a video of the procedure being done...he will send me the video by e mail and hopefully i can load it unto the net for everyone to see.....

there is not much to see....but for those interested in specifics it will be helpful....

different doctors use different techniques and since prolo is a vanguard science...it is always good to compare procedures....

right now i feel o.k.

I am always expecting a lot of stifness and inflammation from the injections...which is what most people complain about....

But right now I don`t feel stiff at all and the inflamation is minimal....

the good thing is he gave me more shots this time and covered more specific points...

he gave me a shot right smack in the middle of my scitica nerve on each buttock....

I really felt those...painful...

but pain to me nowadays is relative since I have grown to have it everyday...

the good part is that my sciatica is not as severe as it was two months ago....

two months ago i would get out of bed in the morning screaming in pain....

and since i don`t take any type of pain med....

my only recourse was to cry my heart out....

My current supplements are as follows....

My day actually starts at night before going to bed...

if i don`t get a good night`s sleep....

the following day will be almost impossible for me to get out of bed and go to work....

before going ot bed i take 400mg of magnesium citrate with two bags of sleepytime tea....

and 3mg of melatonin (under my tongue) to help me dose off....

if all goes well i will be asleep an hour after i go to bed....

I usually try to go to sleep by 10....

I try to meditate to get drowsy....

I do a lot of prayer and visualize light entering my navel area....( I study metaphysics)...

I then send that light to my lumbar spine and hip...

my mantra is this...I am infinite healing light....

I repeat that over and over again....every night...

In the morning....I Drink a glass of water with about 4 grams of pure vitamin C crystal powder mixed in...

I drink that with 500mg of pantothanic acid (b5)...b5 and vitamin c are used by the body to make collagen....It is also used by the adrenal glands to make adrenalin...under stress your body uses up the adrenalin and you need these basic nutrients to make more...

I then go back to bed and meditate or fall asleep for another hour....

why?

because normally at night I wake up after 4 hours of sleep and it takes me 2 hours to fall back asleep again if i`m lucky...

If i don`t do the c and b5 gig I will feel exhausted all day....

the c and b5 gig give me a fighting chance....

to go and work...

after i get up I work my hip area with a small wooden ball to give myself deep tissue massage....it hurts but it sends blood irrigation to the area and relieves pain for the most of the day.....

I then lay my back (lumbar area) and hip on a heat pad for about half an hour...

for breakfast i eat rice krispies with a banana....

i take my gucosamine complex and some b complex with my breakfast....

I try to drink an extra glass of water also....

I take another glucosamine tablet with lunch....

during the day if i have hip sciatica pàin i do stretching exercises...sitting down...

I fold my left leg on my right knee...breathe air in and bend over frontways without arching my back...

this helps my hamstrings and relieves my hip pain....

it`s a stretching exercise i learned on you tube...

it works!....

that`s my basic program...there are details....I also use an inversion table wich has helped with the spondy issue...

one doctor said not to use it...

I didn`t listen to him and I feel better....

sometimes you have to go with what you feel...

doctors know only what was taught to them...

you know what you feel and if you study your body well....

you will find things that can work for you....

it`s not easy...

in fact it`s a full time job....

my life revolves around my therapy...

I don`t have a personal life....

the good thing is that somehow i have managed to lessen the sciatica pain....

I believe it`s a combination of all the things i do....

it`s not one thing in particular....

all things matter....

I do breathing exercises too....

but i`ll get into that next time...

Live to Pray
  • June 4th.

I have a bit of discomfort on my left hip....

the doc gave me a prolo injection deep into the side of the hip....

and i`m figurin the discomfort is from the injection....

which will go away soon (I hope)....

on another note I went to see a friend who had lower back problems....

he recommended seeing a doctor he knows....

this doc is a homeopathic doctor but has taken many courses around the world....

he is very succesful here in town....he has treated many people with back problems....

and they have had success with his injections....

I have not met him neither do I know what the injections are but I plan on getting his injections in about six weeks when my next prolo session is due.....

My sciatica so far has been manageble....

I don`t wake up with extreme pain in the morning....

and I`m hoping it will get better and better as time goes by.....

My prayers go out to all...I know what you are going through....

to be continued....

Live to Pray
  • i started to do some research and found this....

and finally, even when the symptoms do disappear, the pinched nerve can still take another six months to fully heal. how long sciatica remains a problem for you will depend on how long it takes you to rebuild the support structure of your back.-quote.

https://www.rebuildyourback.com/sciatica/mystery.php
    Live to Pray
  • advertisement
  • June 6th.

I leaned somthing today.....

core exercises are very important.....

I had stopped doing my back strengthening exercises for a while because of the prolotherapy....I had on friday...june 1st.

and guess what?

my discomfort started coming back.....

well today I did some sit ups, and pelvic tilts....

as much as I could....

Guess what?

I feel better!

in a way I had gotten lazy.....

I tried to cheat....

thinking that by just using the inversion table and stretching....I could get away with it....

not so....

this is important for me....

cause now i know that back strengthing exercises are key to eliminating problems....

I want to mention here that when i`m doing my pelvic tilts i push a lot of oxygen into my lower abdomen as I stretch my abdomen up....

I do these on my sofa with my legs raised on the armrest....

the oxygen goes right to the heart of the problem....my lumbar spine....

back strengthing exercises are now going to be a daily routine....

Live to Pray
  • brianferrybbrianferry Posts: 77
    edited 06/20/2012 - 3:51 PM
    June 22nd. tuesday,

good news everyone....

my sciatica pain has diminished 90%....

my overal program has gotten me results....

if you have been reading theis thread you will have most of my program.....

about a week ago i got a small stomach infection...diahrrea....

two days later after i recovered most of my sciatica pain was gone....

I believe my body`s immune system went into high gear to stop the infection.....

this in turn helped the prolotherapy shots be more effective....

i`m still not completely out of the woods yet.....

but my program is working....

my sciatica is healing and the prolo shots have worked along with the core exercises and supplements....

whenever i skip a day of core exercises i notice a difference....my condition becomes slightly uncomfortable....

nothing major....but i realize my body is telling me that i need to do my exercises every day to keep my lumbar spine healthy...

I plan on getting my fourth prolo shots at the end of july...

I also lost some weight with the diahrrea which put less stress on my back....

so I need to keep it off to be on the good side....

if anyone has any questions feel free to ask....
    Live to Pray
  • brianferrybbrianferry Posts: 77
    edited 07/27/2012 - 12:45 PM
    July 27, 2012....

hello everyone,

My sciatica pain has not come back....

I will tell you this though....whenever I miss more than a couple of days of back strengthening exercises I begin to have issues.....I can feel my sciatica working up again....nothing major but a sign of things beneath the surface...so to speak

and it obviously is a sign that i can not let my guard down,

another things is my weight....i am 5 feet 8 inches and weigh 145 to 150 pounds which is not heavy by normal standars...

but in my case i have to keep my weight at 140 max in order to not have issues with my spondy...that is what i feel....

I eat most foods...i avoid sugar and breads...I follow the GARD diet whenever possible.....

I feel that the program i have made for myself has given me results.....

If you have been following this thread you will know what that program is....

I will be going fo my 4th prolotherapy injections next week.....I`m spacing them out at two month intervals...i want to heal as much of my spondy as possible....

i can go for long walks now and can stand for longer periods with only relative discomfort in my lower back...which i eliminate with my inversion table...

the prolo session costs me 350 dollars a pop....the doc gave me 20 shots last time....and i believe they are working....

i still have to upload the video on the net....

the important thing is that i am proof that there is hope....

i have done it the natrual way....no drugs and no operations....

neither drugs nor surgery was an option for me....

it was my personal decision based on conviction and research....

If anyone has any question on this thread please feel free to ask.....

i will give you a detailed answer....

i have tried to not leave any information out....

i also want to mention at this point that i have an ozone machine...

which i use for myself....

It`s an expensive device...2 grand....

but it has been part of my protocol.....

what excatly it has done to improve my condition i don`t know.....

i only know that it has helped my health in general.....google ozone therapy for info.

last but not least....I want to mention that prayer has been an integral part of my journey....

especailly at the beginning when i was in incredible pain (i never used pain medicine)....i did it the hard way...

it was my choice and it was an experience i will never forget....

personally I am cautious with any type of drug....the fluorquinilone did some serious damage and i can not take any type of chance.....

that is what i have learned about drugs,,,,

they make it more difficult for your body to heal....

and i knew from the beginning that if i wanted to heal....i had to bite the bullet....

that`s what i did and thank god i have gotten results....

I pray that my journey will give you hope....and know that it is possible to heal.....

my journey is a scientific one....there are no smoke and mirrors here....

there is no magic pill.....

just hard work and lots of prayer and meditation, breathing, etc.

i`ll keep everyone informed as my condition progresses.....

i`m going to the prolo next week and the shots are excruciating....

but i welcome them with knowledge that they have helped and will continue to heal my spondy,

sciatica is under control...no more pain....spondy is next....i want to heal it as much as possible....and so far i can say i am making progress in that direction also.....

to be continued....

Live to Pray
  • August 3, 2012

hi folks,

just got back from my prolo session...the doc added a new ingredient to the mix...ionic calcium citrate.

He said tha the ionic calcium was specifically good for generating new tissue in the lower back...

he gave me about 30 injections with a total of about 50 ml....

this week has been good my lower back has not had any great discomfort, I am now doing brief exercises throughout the day....the pelvic lift is the main one...

I do the pelvic lifet first thing in the morning to circulate fluid into my lumbar area and get the discs flexed...

for vitmains he gave me a prescription of glucosamine, chondroitin and omega 3....he also prescribed some b12 with calcium to help rebuild tendon tissue...

I asked him about the calcium....he said the tendon where it meets the bone needs calcium to rebuild properly...

he leaves tomorrow to a prolo conference in germany which will last about two weeks....

i told him to send me all the latest news at the conference...

to keep you folks updated....

to be continued...
    Live to Pray
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.