Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Medicare and ?????

advertisement

Comments

• What is a good time frame to get the medigap and part d insurance. My Medicare comes up in June so is now the time?
    Thanks

Rick
  • Congratulations! I would recomend that your sign up for a Part D (drug) program the beginning of May so that it is in effect the beginning of June. If you wait to later in May to sign up, it just takes time for all the computers to talk to one another and things just go smoother if you allow several weeks to get things in place. If you don't get a piece of plastic to take to the drug store, no big deal for the pharmacist can look up your name in the drug plan and see if you are officially enrolled. Another suggestion, allow lots of time to sign up by phone, if you do it that way, for the program has to inform you of all your rights, etc. Of course, you can sign up at medicare.gov, too.
    Now is also the best time to sign up for a Medigap policy. I don't know what is available in your area for people under 65. You might want to find a SHIP counselor in CA (at medicare.gov web site) that can tell you what policies are available. By all means, begin the research now for the sign up takes a couple of weeks and is usually effective the beginning of the following month.
    Medicare is complex and it usuallly takes hearing or reading the stuff 2-3 times from different sources before it begins to make sense. Just remind yourself of that point when you think, holy cow, how does this work. Find a SHIP counselor in your area....we are usually helpful and there is no cost for our service.
    Many people I see are happy to get on Medicare for it does provide good medical coverage. If you income is low, you might qualify for the Extra Help program through Social Secureity that helps pay for the cost of medications. That is a great program and is really worth checking it out. There is another program called the Medicare Savings Program that pays the Medicare Part B monthly premium. That program is administered through your state human services agency and has qualifications simialr to the Extra Help program. Again, a local SHIP counselor can help you learn about these programs.
    Good luck in researching all this. I hope this helps you get started.
  • advertisement
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 05/04/2013 - 7:39 PM
    Thanks for the info. I have calls into the Calif ship people sounds like they are short on people. I dig get some person from aarp who uses a insurance company and a F plan is 266.86 and a part D for about 50. Not has bad as I thought. I like the F it looks like I will have nothing out of pocket.
    I really want to hear what the ship has to say first. Is next week good enough to get things done for June first or should I keep my regular medical one more month. I will save over 1000 a month and have better coverage , its till going to cost but it will be much better.

Again thanks and are you guys paid or do you volunteer. Calif is asking for volunteers right now .
    This should be a paid job.

Thanks
    Rick
  • saultupssaultup Posts: 71
    edited 05/04/2013 - 2:46 AM
    Good job, Rick.
    For your Part D, if you sign up next week that should be plently of time for the computers to get you on board. You can always sign up via phone and ask them, or rather tell them, you whant the plan to be effective 6-1 so you can get the verbal commitment.
    For your Medigap F, that's a longer application. Make sure they know you are under 65. (In some states this is a major issue to find a policy for <65.) If you call, they will take preliminary info and then send you a paper application. I would ask them can you app. be processed in a timely fashion so that it will be in effect 6-1. See what they say. <br />I'm glad to hear your expenses will go down. The Plan F is top of the line and copays should be non-existent.
    And yep, this SHIP is volunteer. It is a good program. The training is excellent. But, like many programs, it is overwhelming initially to learn rules, exceptions, etc. but if one stays with the program it gets better. There are always updates, etc. and every day I learn something new. The people I see are so appreciative that it makes it all worthwhile.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 05/04/2013 - 7:52 PM
    Yes the price they gave me was for under 65. I tried to do it online and then it. Said I had to call in because of the age issue. She verified everything and then took my Med information and gave me a total copay for it of 98 a month which for my list is pretty good but my pharmacy isn't on it so I may shop around some I have many combinations CVS will not fill for me. My small pharmacy does great and I hope they take some plan.

Thanks again
    I worked insurance repair with adjusters for fire insurance repair work and learned a lot.
    I may volunteer for this later. I have met some many people so confused on this and it is not as bad as I thought.

That's for helping people when there lost.

Rick
  • advertisement
  • If you don't qualify for Medicaid, you may check to see if they have plans like they have here in Florida. My Medicare comes into effect on Nov 1 (YAY) and I don't qualify for Medicaid because my husband has a measly 10,000 401k insurance plan. They have a plan called OPTIMUM which not only pays me back most of the $104 Medicare takes out of my check (I get $80 put back in my check every month), but I have no co-pays at my doctors my copays on my meds are only gonna be $25 a month. It's certainly worth looking into!
advertisement