Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

    Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 Fusion or Not

Hello All,

I have had an issue with my spine for about 5 years now - herniated L5 and grade 1 spondy (L5 over S1) due to pars defect. For the most part physical therapy has kept me away from surgury, but I have started a new job that is a little more physically demanding than the last (active military) and my symptoms have increased with much more frequency.

I consider myself very lucky that I don't have a lot of specific back pain, but what I do have is nerve pain with tingling and numbness down my entire right leg. My latest MRI indiciates that the slippage is stable, but there is severe stenosis of the L5 nerve root. I am 42 and the Doc believes this will progressively get worse over time as what is left of the L5 disc will only continue degenerate - so they believe surgury is in my future.

My question is should I continue tolerate this until it is no longer tolerable and avoid the fusion until I am really really bad or just go ahead and get this fixed now while still young.

I greatly appreciate all opinions and experiences as well as what finally pushed those that have had surgury into having it and what has kept those that have not had it away.

Thank you in advance. All the best, Mike
advertisement

Comments

  • Hi Mike,

    FWIW, I've decided to have the L5/S1 fusion now (at 47). For me, the deciding factor was that I want my life back. I feel that, if there is a good chance that I can do this now, and return to relatively pain free living, I'm taking it while I can. I also have spondy and DDD, and it is likely to get worse over time according to the doctors. I know it's a risk, but I'm just tired of living this way. Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

    Colleen
  • coastirish said:
    Hi Mike,

    FWIW, I've decided to have the L5/S1 fusion now (at 47). For me, the deciding factor was that I want my life back. I feel that, if there is a good chance that I can do this now, and return to relatively pain free living, I know it's a risk, but I'm just tired of living this way. Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

    Colleen
    After editing a little from above , that's exactly how I feel! I'm 44 and 3 months post surgery. Doing pretty well but it is a significant surgery that shouldn't be taken lightly. The recovery is not pleasant but I can see the light....finally! Good luck to you!
    Kevin

    Different degrees of back pain since 1994
    Chiro-Physio-Ostheopath-Homeopathy-Acupunture
    Cortisone shots Jan/09
    Discectomy and lamenectomy April/09
    L5 - S1 spinal fusion July.13th/12
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.