Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Degenerative Disc Disease - 25 year old

advertisement

Comments

• I am scheduled on May 1st for my fusion of L5/S1 and I am EXTREMELY nervous! :(
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • You got this! What did they say about kids? I was put on a "not for a year" notice....lol, but have since decided 2 was enough.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • odouglassoodouglass Posts: 264
    edited 02/28/2013 - 1:57 PM
    Yes, this will be amazing for me in general! :) Thanks again for the encouragement!! He didn't give me a timeframe at all...just told me that I would be good to go to have kids after the surgery (I had read some places that said NONE). We would wait at least a year, though, as I need to save leave up at work! :)

Oh and the reason for May- is I am finishing a semester of my MBA classes and they end on 4/30, so I get surgery the morning after!!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • Ms PixieMMs Pixie Posts: 154
    edited 02/28/2013 - 6:09 PM
    like you're moving forward with whats maybe most benefitial for your health. My surgeon told me that nerve pain is one thing, but when you start getting numbness, muscle weakness and loss of reflexes, the nerve is going bad and if you wait too long its not going to heal ever. You are so young! And will probably rebounce great from surgery. At this state you cannot have children anyway right? I mean have them, sure, but care for them? So perhaps have surgery, heal and be stronger will put you in the right place for having a family?
    Perhaps going through the injection process made it easier to move on towards surgery, cause now you've tried it and didnt get the relief you were hoping for.
    My advise as far as surgery goes is expect healing to take longer than they say. Surgeons are optimistic people and this is routine to them. You might be great after 6 weeks but you might also find it takes a lot longer. Accept that and get yourself time to heal properly. This might be one of the most important things you do to yourself.
    Best of luck in May!

Victoria
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • odouglassoodouglass Posts: 264
    edited 03/01/2013 - 1:47 AM
    Thank you for your kind words- I do feel a little more at ease about the surgery simply because all of the non-surgical treatments didnt work, like the injections and all. However, the nerves are still there.... mainly for the general anesthesia, I guess. You're absolutely right- if I had kids before this surgery I would most likely be in a lot of pain during the pregnancy and limited on what I could do after they were born in terms of caring for them! I just feel like the surgery with rods/pins is happening on me and I am so young... so there is a risk that the level above could need a fusion in a few years, or 10-15 years he said. The pain that I am in reminds me that surgery is going to make it better!! :) Thanks for the well wishes!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • advertisement
  • lol.... I went through 2 pregnancies with multiple level fusions.... and yes, it isn't an easy trip, but its sooo worth it. I will say though, once you are pregnant, there is no pain meds.... My second pregnancy I had a "flare up" and it was pretty brutual for a few weeks, but you get through it. My surgeon said I had to wait a year before becoming pregnant again because weight gain isn't good for a fusing back, however, I had lots and lots of levels fused. Plus, if I want a third child I have to have an additional surgery before becoming pregnant, something about the screws in my hips would have to be loosened. (yet another reason we've decided we are good with two). I can't remember what levels you are having done, but if you have all (or most) of the lumbar fused they do use the hip screws for stablization... so something to inquire about. None of this is meant to scare you or anything, Pregnancy and taking care of children can be done, and can be a very joyous thing, even with back issues. I think knowledge is truly power and it is sooo much better to know up front and prepare mentally and physically. And.... looking forward to future babies can really be a positive to keep you going in the months ahead.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • At this time I am just getting the L5/S1 TLIF done, so not a huge deal I guess in the realm of things. He did mention waiting for the fusion to completely heal before getting pregnant but that my back would be much more stable after the fusion to handle the extra pressure of pregnancy. He would release me, or give me the go ahead to get pregnant when he feels my back is stable enough. Dr. V did mention that I could need a L4/L5 fusion sometime down the road as I am young and the added pressure on the discs above could mean that was needed. However, he wasn't sure until he does the fusion and monitors me over time. :) I am nervous, yes, but so ready to be out of the pain that I am in now. It will definitely be what keeps me going, something positive! :)
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
advertisement