Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hemilaminectomy, Foraminectomy

Comments

• Hopefully it will be day surgery only as you said. Must MISS (minimally invasive) to not stay for a few days or more.
  • Dave, I had surgery around 7:30, was in recovery by 9:30. Was home by noon.
    Biggest limitation is that I can't lift more than 5lbs due to internal stitches.. Wound is superglued together with waterproof bandage on top.

They tell me I will feel a lot worse tomorrow, the day after is supposedly a killer.
  • advertisement
  • Slept reasonably ok, back is sore and stiff while laying down. Took a small walk around the block.
    I live alone so this is a difficult thing to face, but I'm coping.
  • Are you on many pain meds? Sounds like its going good so far. How's the pain compared to before the op?
  • Since I haven't had any acute pain for about a month and a half, it is hard to tell. Surgeon was almost going to cancel the operation the surgery morning, but elected to do it anyway because I was having issues for a two years except the last few months.

I was doing great up till late yesterday afternoon when I started to get sharp pains in the upper portion of my left butt below the incision. Pain is bad so I have trouble walking and getting stuff done around the house. Sitting is ok, which is opposite of what is supposed to happen. I had been taking Vicodin, but it was doing nothing for the walking pain. Got a hold of the night doctor at the hospital and he said it was ok to take some Ibuprophen, which helps a bit, but it is still painful walking. I called the surgeon's office this morning but the assistant was not much help, said the ibuprofen was ok, and "have a nice Thanksgiving" blah blah.

I'm having trouble moving around to get myself fed and get minimal things done around the house.
  • advertisement
  • Today I'm at 1 week into recovery. Back and pain in upper buttocks is not too bad, more occassional than before when I move in a certain position.

Foot seems to be ok today. Hopefully I will continue feeling better.
  • DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 11/26/2012 - 1:34 PM
    Hope you continue you improvement. There will be bad days but trend line will be up from here more than likely.

Hang in there.
  • Dave, thanks. Next week I have a two week follow up with the surgeon and most likely will be able to return to some driving.
    I hear it still is 6 weeks total before I can lift heavy things though.
  • I think it's 12kgs now. Up to 3mths it was 2kgs.

So I would be surprised if you were allowed to lift heavy things after 6 weeks. But we're all different.
  • I spoke with the doctor and the weight lifting restriction is not because of the spine not being able to carry a load, it is strictly to make sure I don't tear out any internal stitches. So I was expecting at 6 weeks that the internal stitches would be healed.
    Right now I have a 5 lb weight limit which is ridiculous.
advertisement