Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Women, Advice here...

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,265
    There is a great tool. It allows you to clip your toe nails without having to bend down to the point that it hurts.
    Take a look at that site, there are many aids that can help you in day to day life
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • KENTUCKYGIRL65KKENTUCKYGIRL65 Posts: 210
    edited 11/14/2012 - 3:15 AM
    Dilaruro they do have some great aids for us special folks , I got to laughing at my brother the other day , he has a really bad back and was talking about how it hurt him to twist after using the bathroom and you probably know what I mean , I told him they make extensions for wiping the bum to and he didnt believe me so I ordered him one for Christmas ha ha he will be suprised , he thought he could make something like that and get a patent on it lol , wont he be suprised to see what santa brings him!
  • advertisement
  • quicksilverqquicksilver Posts: 126
    edited 11/14/2012 - 7:23 AM
    The phrase "clean-up in aisle 2" does have a daunting ring to it.
    Disability retirement
  • SandraBSSandraB Posts: 4
    edited 11/19/2012 - 10:33 PM
    Hi I'm six weeks post op and following my checkup I've just discovered that I won't be able to ever bend to shave my legs, cut my toe nails or put on socks/tights!! It came as a big shock. For some naive reason I just thought that I would be totally normal after my op. it's really bothered me as even picking up something from the floor or dusting a low coffee table will be a task. How does every one cope??
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,265
    this thread from the top.
    You will find some of your answers
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • It is now 6 weeks post op now for my L4-L5 fusion and I was able to shave my legs in a really weird position...

I did a dry shave and I laid down on my bed bent my one of legs and crossed the other leg across the thigh of the bent leg. It sounds strange, but at least you can keep you back straight and be able to reach your legs...
  • Ron, I need to check that site. I don't care much about leg hair as I'm not very hairy, but cutting toenails...my socks have started to get holes in them from my long toenails. It just hurts too much to bend to get 'er done. Ack.
  • Before surgery (L 4-5 fusion,) the sciatica was so bad all the way down to both feet that I stopped shaving my legs (because of fear of falling in the shower,) and bought an epilator. I am permitted to bend from the hips and bend my knees, but obviously not my waist. I find that I can do my legs if I sit down, rest my foot on something somewhat elevated, and bend at the hips. I only need to use the epilator every two weeks.

Toenails, however, are another story altogether--mine are tough as hell after all those years of ballet abuse, so there is no way I can do them myself. Yesterday, I splurged and went to a nail salon and got them done. After a shower, I dry between my toes by rubbing my feet on a towel on the floor, and then spreading my toes and running the hairdryer on them till they feel dry.

Lotion--I put lotion on a cotton cosmetic pad, and use my reacher to apply it. It soaks in, eventually.

I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
  • I have a total lumbar fusion, and shaving hasn't been a problem. I was unable to shave during my hospital stay, but conned my husband into doing it. He's a sweetie. When I got home I'd just sit in the shower chair and "lean to the right/left" (of course that was sometimes a real hit or miss) but after about a month I could (and still do) easily stand and put my foot on the same shower chair and "bend" to shave my legs.... You can bend (once you are more comfortable) form your leg ball and socket joint. You'll be shocked at just how much you can bend! I was.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • if you have a good shower matt, you can prop your leg up and "lunge"... no bending! Good luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
advertisement