Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back,hip,leg pain---I am back!!!!!!

Oh Lord,I think every few years my body says "Lets go to the back doctor"..I have had 2 spinal fusions.Now my lower back,bootie,hip and leg are painful.MRI showed nothing that would cause such pain.Thursday I am having a Nerve test.Hopefully talk about pain injection. Is there a place on here for OLDTIMERS?
advertisement

Comments

• Hey there, I'm sorry your pain is back. I have had 2 microdiscectomies. I never got as much relief as I would have liked but about this time last year (which was a year after my last surgery), I started having similar issues. Tons of lower back, hip, and some increased leg pain. I dealt with it. Started my at-home physical therapy, rested, iced, that didn't work. I tried exercising, that didnt' work. I startated NOT sleeping b/c the pain at night was so aweful when I went to move, that I would get maybe an hour or 2 of sleep, then be up, then maybe another hour or 2 of sleep and then I'd be up. It felt like arthritis, bursitis, and anything "old". It would take me a good 20 minutes to be able to stand up straight and not lean (yes, I probably should have had a walker for my middle of the night issues).

Anyhow, I got the MRI in December...and same thing -> normal for someone who had had 2 back surgeries but lots of scar tissue. It said something about modic type 2 changes so I did a lot of reading on that. Long story short, my NS said go to PT and if that didn't work, he would see me. My GP said, let's just skip right to a Physiatrist b/c he will look at your more holistically and he has a PT team.

I spent 3 months having them help me reduce my pain. And have to say, after elimination of various things - I am in a comfort spot again and have been since April/May.

Good luck on the nerve test. If that doesn't show anything, can you try a muscular/skeletal doctor who may be able to see if you have body mechanic issues that can be worked through various techniques? I found that the basic PT exercises I learned were good BUT I needed more to keep my left and right side relatively balanced. Oddly, my right side was weaker when I thought it was the strong side. They said it was stronger leg but from a pelvic and lower back, it wasn't. I also learned that I had protected my back so well, that I had lost mobility in it (it was VERY stiff and as a result, could not really move which was causing a lot of problems in my hips).

I am not sure if this helps. I may be clinging on to what helped me most recently but I figure it is worth sharing.
  • texascowgirl said:
    Oh Lord,I think every few years my body says "Lets go to the back doctor"..I have had 2 spinal fusions.Now my lower back,bootie,hip and leg are painful.MRI showed nothing that would cause such pain.Thursday I am having a Nerve test.Hopefully talk about pain injection. Is there a place on here for OLDTIMERS?
    Hi OLDTIMER!
    I am still here, having had a 2 level ACDF 3 weeks ago tomorrow.
    I remember how much help you gave me to be able to face my lumbar fusion over 2 and 1/2 years ago.
    '
    Good luck on Thursday for your nerve test. I really hope that they will have a plan that will get you back into 'comfy mode' and able to get back to the things you enjoy. :-)

• advertisement
  • texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
    edited 11/25/2012 - 8:57 AM
    Thank you,DNice and Jelly! DNice-I am going to the same drs. I had with my 2nd fusion.There are surgeons,pain mgt.drs.,chiropractors,and physical therapists all on staff.I will know Thursday if I have nerve damage-the dr. will tell me right along as he does the test.I will do whatever he suggests next,but I am going to ask for a pain injection!!!!! Have you heard of the scar tissue causing pain?Thank you for responding-I do remember you and I visiting when I was on here several years ago............Jelly,we have got to quit meeting like this (sigh)