Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

NEURONTIN/GABAPENTIN

I just had my 2nd epidural shot today for L5 and L4 right side nerve root and was telling my doctor I was getting no relief from the 1st epidural. I also told him I'm having a hard time "just staying in bed" 90% of my awake time from pain. Getting restless and want to do more around the house.

He prescribed Neurontin 300mg and for me to take it at bedtime.
I asked if there were any psychological problems with this, he knows see a psychologist for panic attacks and other problems and I take atavan/sequel and remeron.

I read the reaction list the pharmacy gave me and that scarred me.
Almost gave me a panic attack.

I called my psychologist and left a message for her to call me.. no return call. :(

My doctor that prescribed it to me said try it.

Question to allow our great forum people.
What type of reactions did you have to it?

I know everyone is different and i'm not asking if i should try it.
I just want to know your experiences with it.

Thanks
Dave
-Dave
L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
L3/4 annular tear.
L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
Tens mpo combo system
Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Dave,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I too have had round after round of steroid injection with very little success. I am a RN and injured my back in 2004. After that I had every treatment known: physical therapy, steroids, antiinflammatory, pain medication, injections; you name it, I had it! With little or no relief. In 2009 when stepping out of bed one morning, my entire left leg went numb and severely painful. I had a microdiscectomy at the L5-S1 level but it did not resolve the leg pain and numbness. Because of this I took a desk job at work (so no heavy lifting) but the disc herniated again and I ended up with fusion with instrumentation in 2010. Again, this surgery did not help the leg pain and I've been told the S1 nerve root damage is permanent.

It was my psychiatrist who prescribed the gabapentin for me in 2009 when he saw during one of my visits how much discomfort I was in. And, he prescribed the maximum dosage. I take 1200 mg 3 times per day. I have bipolar depression and anxiety. Of all the medications I am on it is the gabapentin I couldn't live without. It doesn't work for everyone but what have you got to lose by trying it? It does not take the pain away entirely but it makes it more manageable. The biggest side effects are sleepiness and dizziness but this subsides as your body adjusts to the medication. The first time I took it I literally couldn't keep my eyes open but this got better after a few doses. Your doctor should gradually increase the dose until you achieve relief. 300 mg is a low dose. When taking this with the Remeron at bedtime it may cause even more sleepiness but no harm there. Just be careful if you get up during the night as you may be a bit unsteady. Again, this gets better as your body adjusts to the medication. I take the max dose and have no side effects anymore. As I said, the dose should be gradually increased. I too take Remeron as it helps with the leg cramps I get at night (caused from nerve root damage) but it only helps somewhat.

Check with your pharmacist to see if there are any drug interactions with the meds you are currently on. It is ok to take with Remeron. I dont think, as a nurse, there are any major drug interactions with the other drugs, but I'm a nurse not a doctor or pharmacist and pharmacists would probably be more equipped to answer that question about interaction. In my experience pharmacists enjoy teaching so ask away!

As a nurse, I wouldn't recommend staying in bed all the time. This can actually do more harm. Just don't do any bending or lifting while out of bed. Again, I am only a nurse and I cannot diagnose or prescibe and do not take anything I've said here as diagnosis or prescription. I am telling you this as part of my personal experience as a patient and a nurse to better inform you. (nurses love teaching, too) While in bed use heat and ice alternatingly. 20 minutes heat, 20 minutes ice. Do not use heat exclusively and for long periods as this can do more harm than good. Too much heat can irritate and inflame the surrounding tissue and cause more pain.

Hope this info helps as you make your decision.

Sincerely,
    Michele
    Michele
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,339
    edited 12/13/2012 - 6:42 AM
    I was prescribed this after my 2 level ACDF instead of the Nortriptyline that I had been taking.

I was taking 300mg tablet three times a day. I believe that it made me extremely sleepy and my sleeping at night was better than it had been for over 4 years. I then weaned down slowly until now I am off it.
    My nerve pain, particularly in my legs and feet, is getting worse again and I will talk to my surgeon next week when I see him for my post surgery follow up appointment.

I have read that it can cause memory problems and weight gain. I don't think that these were a problem for me, but I can't remember!! LOL - sorry!
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,249
    edited 12/13/2012 - 6:28 AM
    for almost 3 years now. I have not had any negatives impacts.

Use the Spine-Health Search facility and you can read the hundreds of existing threads/posts that deal with Neurontin
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Thanks for your comments.
    I'll try it tonight.
    Doc said to step up to taking it (300mg) in 7 days. So 300mg 3x day in a week.
    I'll see how it goes. When I had a neck injury 10 or so years ago I think I was on it. But I forget.

Also some great news my hip and sciatic pain in my right let is SO MUCH BETTER!!!
    I think they got the juice where it needed to be when I had my epidural Wednesday.

I hope it stays this good. Pain not all gone level 2 or so. Manageable..

Thanks.....
    Dave
    -Dave
    L3/4 annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • I was taking 3600mgs a day along with a hep of other medications. We believe that the problems i experience were due to the other medications in conjunctions. Weight gain was another personal problem i had with Gabapentin. My wife said that i sleep walked to the point it scared her. She said i would make food, sit in front of the TV, answer doors with no one there, then go right to bed and remember nothing.
  • advertisement
  • dbhamddbham Posts: 42
    edited 12/14/2012 - 11:16 AM
    That's funny. When I was on Ambien sleeping pills I use to sleep walk and call friends in the middle of the night. Type gibberish on my facebook page.

Last time I took Ambien I guess I called 911 and said I was going to kill my self.
    All I remember is waking up in a 5150 mental hospital. Spent 3 days there...
    Was not a fun time in my life. Hypnotic type pills dont agree with me. Hehe.
    I'm glad I have a strong wife. She puts up with my crap. :)

We'll my sciatic pain is back today. Boooo...

Dave
    -Dave
    L3/4 annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,249
    for anyone. No wonder you were a walking zombie. Eric, are you still on that dosage?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • sjoboyssjoboy Posts: 25
    edited 12/23/2012 - 1:44 PM
    Being at such high dosage pregabalin (lyrica) may be a better alternative. You may ask your doctor.
  • You are on a whopping dose! My Dr. told me to get off of the 900mg 3x a day! I have been advised to get exercising and the Gabapentin willl cause major weight gain that puts to much pressure on the back. I lost almost 25 lbs.last year from making myself go to a spinning class. i would often cry from the pain but was determined to get this weight down. I am now on 300mg 3x daily as needed but try not to take it. It's either take it or hurt! I choose to hurt over gaining weight back. I had discectomy in 01- spinal fusion in 03 at L3-4. Now have failed back syndrome and hurt all the time! Very depressing and painfull but scared for another surgery because I could still have same or even worde problems if I do! I wish I had a plan for relief!
  • krysy_8kkrysy_8 Posts: 9
    edited 01/09/2013 - 3:47 PM
    i take 300 mg 3 times a day. (along w other stuff) i have been on it for about 2 months, i dont think it helps much.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.