Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Still having back pain post Discectomy

advertisement

Comments

• goodluck and keep us updated
    ~Becky

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • Flissy666FFlissy666 Posts: 6
    edited 01/23/2013 - 11:21 PM
    What is epi please
    Christine murphy
  • advertisement
  • Anakalia1980AAnakalia1980 Posts: 20
    edited 01/24/2013 - 2:10 PM
    I do not know what an EPI is but an ESI stands for epidural steroid injection.
    Anakalia
  • I saw my surgeon this morning to go over my latest MRI. L3 to S1 all look bad. The discs are black and I have herniations at all three levels. L5/S1 is the worst, also the one I had the discectomy on. My surgeon wants to try a couple rounds of steroid injections in hopes of delaying spinal fusion surgery. He says I have a 40-60% chance of it delaying surgery up to two years. We shall see. I do not have a lot of hope in the steroid injections given it was an epic failure in the past and my body never has responded to steroid injections like normal bodies do. If it works then it works but if not then I have no problem getting a spinal fusion at my age. It is what it is and I just want to be able to function like someone my age :)
    Anakalia
  • Ok I gotta say I read knee and it caught me! I had a discectomy on my L5 S1 8 months ago and I have knee prbs in that affected leg. My knee even at times gives out on me when I walk. I am going back to have another MRI on the 4th, but neglected to mention the knee issue. I too still have back issues and still think mine was successful BUT I've got other stuff going on now.

Best of luck to you!
  • advertisement
  • I have mentioned my knee pain and no one seems to take it seriously. It is a good chance that I was having that knee pain all along but did not feel it because I was numb.
    Anakalia
  • Well my work comp insurance company will not approve an epidural steroid injection since I do not have radiculopathy so my surgeon now wants to pursue medial branch blocks or intra-articular facet joint injections. Hopefully work comp insurance will approve these. Has anyone had either one of these type of injections?
    Anakalia
  • Anakalia1980AAnakalia1980 Posts: 20
    edited 04/17/2013 - 8:49 AM
    Had a medial nerve block done about 2 weeks ago since my IC would not approve ESI and we now know that my pain is not coming from the nerves or the facet joint. Surgeon wants to do a discogram now of L5/S1 just to confirm as last step before fusion.
    Anakalia
  • HurstHurst Posts: 2
    edited 04/22/2013 - 3:56 AM
    Anakalia,

Avoid fusion surgery at all costs. Final option only. You are too young, and once it is fused you cannot help that area anymore. Only more drugs needles and surgery forever.

Find a physician that does Active Release Therapy, and Post Isometric Relaxation. Look into Guasha as well.

You can always find a program that will help you with home rehab.

Good luck,

• I was 32 years old and told that my disc collapsed after a discectomy. I asked what my options were and was told none, if I want any improvement in my quality of life, I've got to have the interior fusion using cage.

I am now 39 and just had a spinal cord stimulator implanted to help with the pain. I agree, if you can avoid surgery at any point, please do. Believe me I know it is so easier said than done, but I am under forty and use a walker to walk if at store or mall.

I don't know that if someone wrote this to me I wouldn't have thought twice, you think surgery fixes it right, but too me, its like the nerves in the spine have this memory, the worse their messed with the less chance they have of forgetting the pain

Whatever path you choose I wish you the best of luck and if you'd ever like to ask me any questions, please feel free to send PM..
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.