Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

lock down for 8 more weeks

Ok, so I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow. My original surgery was for a L3-S1 fusion with pedicule screws. Once inside, turns out I had a tear in the covering of my nerves which was leaking spinal fluiud out for who knows how long and was probably the reason I had bad headaches for so long. They fixed that then found out my disks were mush and useless and my bones were way to soft. My NS ended up having to take all three disks out and had to put a full cage in instead.
So my husband keeps telling me that I had a much more major surgery than planned and that I am trying to do to much and be super hero with my pain meds. I am cutting them down and going as long as possible before taking any. That usually backfires on me though, and I end up in worse pain. I just feel like I should be doing more than I am. I feel good and I am doing so much better than I thought and hate being on lockdown. I just saw my NS and he said for the next 8 weeks nothing But walking. No PT at all. I see a lot of people on here are in PT pretty quickly. I also wonder if I'm trying to wean my pain meds to quickly?
I am on 15mg of oxycodone every 4-6 hours but I usually try to go 8 hours or more if I can . I hate feeling so useless and having my husbsnd do everything.
so of course I am comparing myself to everyone else trying to convince myself that I should be farther along...........and I am venting. Any thoughts?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi ChickInBlue,
    I am going in for my 3rd spinal surgery on Thursday. I pushed a bit too much after the last two but I didn't cut down on meds. My new doctor says I will be on lockdown for at least 3 months. That seems like a long time to me compared to the last two but I didn't fuse after the last two either. I am NOT gonna push this time (if i can stand it, LOL).

I have noticed that if I am late on a dose of painkillers that it takes longer to get the pain back under contorl. My pain doctor says that keeping the pain under control really helps in the healing process.

My doctor also said I will not have PT till at least 3 months out. I am pretty sure I wasn't wanting to decrease my meds at 3 weeks post that last times. My pain was pretty high even on the meds. Right now I am on Oxycintin 30mg and Percocet 10-325 3 times a day each and a flexaril at night.

I am looking forward to being off them. The pain doc said he will wean me down and I should be off the meds in a year.
    Be nice to yourself! LOL! Spinal surgery is no walk in the park. Good luck darlin'.
    Celia,
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 01/28/2013 - 9:49 AM
    ...because you are trying to hold off taking those meds, it's a sign that it is too soon to adjust the dosage. I've always been told that if you have to take meds, to follow the timing because otherwise the pain will likely feel worse and to get the pain under control again is more of a battle.

You know what - right now you may feel and be useless. So what? Your husband is there and it seems he realizes that this is a short term setback. Stop trying to be super human. You had major surgery. Surrender to the healing process. Let go and allow it to happen. Stop fighting it. You are a mere mortal. (sorry to be so blunt about that, but I think so many forget that part.) :)

It's OK that you take time to heal. It sounds like your husband gets it and has signed on to pick up the slack. Let him! In the spectrum of life, this is a small window of time that you will be down for the count and you want this healing to be successful.

It's tough to hold someone down or back - especially if you're used to being active, but this is all a choice. Make the choice each day to focus on getting well rather than fighting the process (which you are) and I suspect you will start to see some exponential improvements.

When I was feeling those anxious moments, I put on my ear buds and listened to this guided imagery audio recording about "Healing Well After Surgery" I downloaded from Amazon. It sounds so 'woo-woo' but it really helped me even though it seemed like it might not have. If you're interested, let me know and I can let you know which I got. It was only $9 and I was glad to have it with me before surgery, immediately after surgery in the hospital and post surgery for a while after I got home. (And, I had absolutely no pain whatsoever other than losing my voice, but no pain. So, either my surgeon was amazing and/or listening to this audio contributed to that success.)

Take the meds when prescribed, allow your husband to make things happen - and in those moments of frustration and feeling like a blob - come here and vent to all of us.

Hang in there. This too shall pass.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • advertisement
  • Hi Francine,
    Could you tell me more about the audio recording "Healing Well After Surgery"? I really believe in sound and smell to help with healing, relaxing, etc.

And thanks for the help. I struggle with the "feeling worthless" stuff too. hard not to when we have been sidelined so abtuptly! Lol!

Thanks again!
    Celia,
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
  • ...otherwise the moderator deletes the info. Check your Inbox on here.
  • ChicInBlueCChicInBlue Posts: 34
    edited 01/28/2013 - 7:34 PM
    Thank you all! Each of you had such great points. I think just being able to come here and vent as been a huge benefit!!!! I have a meeting with my pm dr Wednesday and I am going to address me trying to with hold meds but I think you are all right and I should just follow orders instead of just trying to play superman.
    I had a long chat with my hubby about my post and he agreed that he can handle all of this. He is afraid if I push this I will really screw my back up. So I guess that I need to relax, sit back and heal.
    It is amazing how hard it is to let go of he reins. I ran the family, the household and the bank accounts/bills etc. Like many moms I took care of all three girls in addition to doing everthing else. Now all of a sudden I am doing nothing. I watch my 2 yrold run to dady for comfort and it just kills me. Hopefully I will heal fast!!!
    I just really appreciate you all being here, let me vent, and offer me support!!!! Thank you!!
  • advertisement
  • Thank you!
    Celia,
  • justceliajjustcelia Posts: 84
    edited 01/29/2013 - 4:10 PM
    I'm glad your here too. I have a hrad time letting others do stuff for me and not being able to "pull my own weight" but if i don't take this time to heal, I won't ever be able to get back to doing what I used to do. I MUST do what my dr tells me. i want my life back and listening is the best way to do that.

Realx and give yourself the time to heal. And vent anytime! Good luck!
    Celia,
  • I'm sure it added to your stress to find out that your operation turned into more than you thought it would be. I'll be praying for you. I'm two days away from my surgery so hopefully I can follow the advice above and what I echo: don't hesitate to medicate and don't try to be superwoman or in your case superchickin blue.

I understand the need to feel like your "doing." Personally I have never taken off as much time from work as I'm about to. I'm concerned that I'll get bored. I'm hoping that my ipad will keep me busy. I, like you, have a great spouse. I know my wife will make sure I follow the doctors orders. Think about it: the last thing any of us wants to do is compromise the work of our surgeon and have to go for another corrective surgery.

Read, watch tv and movies, listen to whatever makes you happy. I'd say try the chat on this forum but I can't ever get it to work on my ipad or laptop. So I just use this forum and an occasional PM.

Indeed this forum is GREAT. I am so thankful that it is here so we can vent when we need to. Sometimes that's exactly what's needed and this is a great place with plenty of people who can truly empathize.

Try to enjoy the positive side of this time of "lock down" relaxation and healing.

Okay I'm beginning to ramble on.

chat more later.
    Getting L5 S1 foraminotomy, and fusion with 4 bolts and 2 rods on 01/31/2013. Pars defect at L5, little to no disc between L5 S1, grade 2 stenosis at L5, pinched nerves.
  • Lisa sweetie, I have to tell you about my surgery in 2008. I was working at doctors office one day in late Aug. and had the most excrutiating pain in left butt cheek and down left leg. I could barely even move in my chair let alone get up and work. After calling my husband to come get me my doctor who I worked for had some x-rays done and gave me pain meds and muscle relaxer. She was familiar with my back problems and surgery I had in 1994. I went home and rested for the weekend and came back to work on Monday at about 25%. I was referred to a neurosurgeon since my ortho had retired. He did an MRI and seen that I had a large herniation at L4-5 same one I had operated on in 1994 except this time it was impinging the left sciatic nerve. They couldn't get me in for surgery until Oct. 30 so I continued to try and work until then. I had my second lumbar lamenectomy at L4-5 on Oct. 30 and all was well until 3 weeks later when the same pain I was having was back. I tried not to overdo but was not as careful as I should have been. I would sit in a rolling chair and mop my kitchen and use my grab bar to load and unload machines to to laundry thinking I was careful but not so much. I went for another MRI and when doctor walked in I knew it was bad. I bawled and he did not want to say it had re-herniated...lol He tried telling me that just a sneeze can cause it but I just knew it was me and not being careful so on Dec. 15 I had another surgery. I missed Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I couldn't do a thing. But let me tell you after the second surgery he said it would be at least 3 months and I did not do a thing to mess it up and exactly 3 months and 2 days later I was able to go back to work.

The moral of my story is....you have to be patient and do exactly what your surgeon says. I am least patient person on planet and most controlling but never want to have to go through back to back surgeries again like poor Ellen. So when you get down and inpatient just give us a call. You have my number. Just hang in there. It has already been 3 weeks and it will go faster than you think it will :)

love,
    kelli
  • I am glad that the comments here are helping - almost giving you real permission to just let go - as out of character as it is for you. I know, doing all this on a beach somewhere with a beverage with an umbrella in it as you soak in the rays sounds MUCH better as a way to let go and relax, but it's good you're all on board now.

By the way, while I can completely understand your daughter going to your husband now "killing you", my first reaction was - how sweet that they have an opportunity to bond and intuitive of your daughter is to somehow really getting it, Those were my thoughts. You'll have so much time to bond and if you allow yourself to heal well now, perhaps you won't have more limitations in the future.

So glad that your husband is on board. I am breathing a sigh of relief for you. :)

I will share good news to let you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel -- I went for my 12 week post op after wearing a Miami J Collar nearly 24 hours a day for that time, a bone growth stimulator (to accelerate fusion), and having had lost my voice for the first 35-37 days after surgery - and I got GLOWING reports from my surgeon.

The x-rays show a lot of fusion taking place - "nearly fully fused"! So, now he only wants me to wear the collar while I sleep (which I figured and am completely OK with) - but no longer do I need to wear it the other hours of my day. He wants me to wear the bone growth stimulator until my next visit in 6 more weeks. I am not so thrilled with that because it has caused a heat rash on the back of my neck, so we are trying a dermal patch of some sort over the area to see if that helps.

So, all in all - on the right road. THERE'S HOPE! :)

advertisement