Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Stairs after PLIF surgery

I had a 2 level anterior approach fusion at L3-L5 in 2007. I lived in a ranch then so stairs were not an issue. Next month I will be having another fusion at L5-S1 with decompression but through the back. I now live in a 2 story w/bedrooms upstairs. Will I be able to go up stairs after surgery? I really dont need to come down once I am up there.

DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
advertisement

Comments

• My surgeon's office recommended limiting going up and down stairs to a couple times a day. They will probably have you go to PT in the hospital and have you practice going up & down stairs, etc.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I just want to go up the stairs when i get home, to my bed. I dont care if i have to stay up there for weeks....just dont want to bring my bed and everything downstairs. Just wanting to know if i can physically go up after surgery due to pain. I could not do stairs after my last fusion but that was thru the stomach.
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • advertisement
  • You should be able to do stairs. Just will have to take it slow. I lived in an upstairs apartment when i had my fusions. Just take your time. As KarenD said, PT should have you do some stairs at the hospital.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • i had a PLIF last june. was in the hospital for 4 days. they had me practice stairs in the hospital knowing i had stairs at home. came home, went upstairs (very slowly) and stayed upstairs for the next 4 days. by the 5th day home, i needed a change of scenery, and really the stairs weren't that bad. just had to go slow and hold on.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • Thanks! Im so nervous about this surgery but if I can plan every important thing (like getting to my bedroom) i wont beas stressed. Well..maybe not lol
  • advertisement
  • My situation was probably slightly different, but before I left the rehab hospital they had my husband come in and learn to help me on curbs/stairs, etc. I had multiple braces and was using a walker, hopefully that won't be the case with you... but just knowing my husband knew exactly how to assist me made me feel MUCH more comfortable. I'd suggest asking about it after surgery, and be sure your husband (or son, or whoever is in your life) be there to help you learn. It would seem like a no brainer, but seriously, they were sure my husband knew how to help WITHOUT messing anything up.

**insert funny story** when I had my first back operation at age 9 (from around t3 to L3) my parents moved my bedroom down stairs AND had a shower put in down stairs because the only showers/tubs were upstairs. After all that one of the last things the surgeon said before we left the hospital was, "I see yall have stairs, she needs to go up and down then 4 times a day." I laughed, my mom didn't....lol.

Good luck. Having read other posts by you, I see you have had some pretty horrific experiences before with back surgery. Hopefully this will be a piece of cake for you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Thank you for your advice on the stairs. I have the most loving husband and my 2 sons are 18 & 16 yrs old and are the most compassionate boys a mom like me could ask for. I am in good hands for recovering. The rest is up to the surgeon and God. I love your name All Metal! Looks like you have had quite the back history. Are you in pain all the time with all that metal?
  • Like most on here, I have my good and bad days. Good to have 3 caring men in your life. I'm sure things will go well.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I had a L4-5 XLIF, and an accompanying posterior laminectomy. The postoperative instructions were that stairs were permitted and light walking was encouraged. They weren't a big deal even when I got home, but I live in a split level, and there are only six at each level. Just remember--"good" leg first, then bad, going either way (up or down,) and have someone spot you until you feel confident with them.
    I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
advertisement