Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New to all this and not liking it at all!

This whole thing started with a head cold. After two weeks I was feeling pretty well and then was slammed with the worst sore throat ever. Next my left arm ached, like I had slept on it wrong. Next day, spasms in mid back. Had to hold on to walls to walk. Arm feels worse. Can't lift it anywhere near my shoulder. Go to Medstop and they give me pain pills and a muscle relaxer. They diagnose me with strep (remember the sore throat) and take a shoulder x-ray. Diagnosis from the shoulder xray is bicep tendonitis. I am a office clerk. About the only exercise I get is walking to and from work twice at day...about 2 miles. Don't know how that could have happened. Next couple days, mid back pain subsides but moves to left thigh and down my leg to knee. I can barely walk at all even with a 3 prong cane. It is excruciatingly painful. Next joy, I have now can't hold my water. Try to get to bathroom but as I try, it just bursts forth. It's not a drippy thing but if my bladder is full, it's like my rubber band has sprung and I just gush. Go to my GP. By this time I must be rolled into the exam room in a wheelchair. She just talks with me. Doesn't touch me or examine me. When I tell her where my present pain is, she immediately comes up with Sciatica for a diagnosis. Nothing is addressed about my free flowing badder. She sends me home with a script for a lower back xray, a name of an ortho doctor and a script for Valium. I've heard that Neuro docs are better for this thing. Is that correct? Now I'm here. Can't walk or hardly stand due to the pain in my left thigh and knee and I'm sitting here wearing an adult night time diaper. One good thing happened. I got a 4 prong cane at Goodwill for CHEEEEAP and then my friend brought over a walker. So you could say I turned in my Yugo cane for a Cadillac walker. What a blessing! Still walk as fast as a speeding snail but it helps.

Sorry this is long but I extremely confused, frustrated and do not know where to turn next. I have been given permission for another week off at work but I don't see this fixing itself in that time. Asked my GP about short term disability but she kind of played dumb and said she didn't know much about it. I'm in CA and we have State Disability here but I have no idea how to start........but that's another topic.

Thank you for any who has taken the time to read this. I am in a world of hurt here and now I need to change my dang diaper again. It will take me about 1/2 hour to get to the bathroom across the hall.

My current meds are Naproson (sp)?, Skelecson, Vikadine and for night time Valium. Any advice for me?
advertisement

Comments

• It could be nothing but it could be anything, get medical attention and be a bad patient. Make sure they address and look at ALL the Symptoms. Don't let them blow you off. Hope you feel better.

I am not a doctor just my expereince with them.
  • I'm real sorry to hear you are having this problem. It certainly sounds very serious. I would go somewhere that's serious about healthcare, even if you have to wait a few hours. If you don't get someone serious looking at you, get someone else.
  • advertisement
  • Go directly to the ER!!!!!

Look up Cauda Equina Syndrome and you'll know why that's my recommendation:

Cauda equine syndrome is a rare disorder that usually is a surgical emergency. In patients with cauda equina syndrome, something compresses on the spinal nerve roots. You may need fast treatment to prevent lasting damage leading to incontinence and possibly permanent paralysis of the legs.

B.
  • I'd say the exact same thing from everything my doctors have told me. First sign of incontinence and you go directly to the ER. I can't believe your Dr would have glazed over it like that. However, I too find it funny how doctors react to me when I am in extreme pain and cannot even walk or move, its like no big deal because they see it all the time. I would be going to the hospital if I were you.
    back said:
    Go directly to the ER!!!!!

Look up Cauda Equina Syndrome and you'll know why that's my recommendation:

Cauda equine syndrome is a rare disorder that usually is a surgical emergency. In patients with cauda equina syndrome, something compresses on the spinal nerve roots. You may need fast treatment to prevent lasting damage leading to incontinence and possibly permanent paralysis of the legs.

B.
  • Seriously - this is not normal and how dare your GP treat you in such a dismissive manner.
    The question I would ask though - have you reported back at how things have progressively deteriorated?

When I started having neck issues, one question that I was asked by my neurologist, my orthopedic surgeon, the neurosurgeon I saw and everyone in between was, "Do you have any problems with your bladder?"

Finally, I asked them why they would ask me that when my complaint was tingling in my fingers. The consistent response was that the nerves in my cervical area can impact the bladder and all the way down my leg to my toes.

It's amazing what a complex web works inside of us.

Clearly there is a problem - get to the ER or a neurologist or someone beyond your GP who clearly has missed the boat. And, once you are accurately diagnosed, I would make a point to let your GP know how they blew it so that they don't screw up with someone else.

Even if it's not what the others might suggest above, it is something and it's progressing rapidly.

The votes are in - go see someone ASAP! :)

Good luck to you!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • advertisement
advertisement