Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sneeze~OUCH!!

advertisement

Comments

• edited 02/28/2013 - 1:50 PM
    I didn't see where you had mentioned that?
    Multi-level fusion L4-s1 Nov 5th 2012
    Disc surgery Aug 2002
  • ScubaSScuba Posts: 37
    edited 03/01/2013 - 3:38 AM
    I haven't had surgery as of yet, but I do experience an enormous amount of pain when I sneeze from any position other than sitting down in an upright position. A few months back I sneezed while I was in my recliner and experienced intense muscle spasms, had to go to Emergency where I was given Muscle Relaxants. It took about a month to recover, I also found that trigger massage therapy & ultrasound therapy helped. Apparently I was told that that's your body's natural response to protecting the spine, to spasm. One experiences tremendous force on the spine when one sneezes, so now I make sure I'm sitting down.
    I don't know what your spine condition is but my PT told me that some exercises can do more harm than good and that's why it's important to see a Dr.

Take Care.
  • advertisement
  • Ok, so I FINALLY got into my family dr and he has told me that I have an absent ankle reflex and that he is sending me for an MRI (which will probably take 2 months to get an appt for)
    What could an absent ankle reflex mean?
    My dr gave me flexiril for the spasms in my ankle and Tylenol #3's for the pain..I take one of each and I sleep for HOURS!! I can't lie my dr has me a little freaked out!!
  • After a feel days of lower back pain Im now all crocked. And not sure if I should go to the ER. Never had this before and I'm very concerned. Any advise anyone?
  • After a feel days of lower back pain Im now all crocked. And not sure if I should go to the ER. Never had this before and I'm very concerned. Any advise anyone?
  • advertisement
  • ER doesn't really do anything for back "pain". They can give you a dose or two of IV pain killers, but that's it. They will however check you for anything that could be a true emergency, for example... do you also have a bad fever, could you have an infection? Are you unable to control your bladder or bowels? etc. If you aren't having problems with breathing, and if you feel pretty confident the pain isn't life threatening I suggest spending the day with an ice pack (sometimes that's better than heat) and staying in the bed/on the couch and going to your PCP in the morning. If you have a good relationship with your PCP call and tell them you are at the end of your rope and you are doing everything you can to avoid the ER, can you come this morning. If they say no, another option (in the USA) are the "urgent care" clinics. Call first, I know lots of them in our area now offer a service where you call, make your "appointment" and they tell you when to arrive, this way you don't spend hours sitting in a hard chair (which btw is likely to happen in the ER, you could have to wait a very long time in a very uncomfortable waiting room). Good luck. If things get worse, go to the ER, better safe than sorry... but if you think you can make it, waiting for your PCP might be a lot less stressful (and painful) in the end.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.