Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Question about SCS trial.

I know this may be a silly question. I have an appointment for a consultation for a SCS on Monday. Do they usually place the trial in that day in the office?
Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
advertisement

Comments

• A quick answer would be no .
    I am sure the doctor would want to see you first and then the insurance issues can put a trial off for awhile also.
    What type of doctor is sending you to this doctor and what type of doctor are you being sent too.
  • I am going to a PM doctor, that my NS is sending me to for the trial. If the trial is successful then my NS puts the permanent one in.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • advertisement
  • Hi
    Its good the the NS referred you to the PM. In my experience it took awhile to get me on board with it and then the insurance co took over six weeks for both of my trials to be approved. Did the PM doctors tell you to have a driver bring you. If not my best guess would that this would be a time to discuss this with you and let you know what to expect in the process.
    Most insurance co will not cover it until you have been seen by a shrink for a evaluation to see if you can handle a object being implanted in your body. Again I think you are just starting a long process.
    There is a lot of good information in the threads relating to SCS. It doesn't work for everybody and I understand that. It did work well for me. I have a lumbar unit but was not able to get the cervical unit.
    Its a confusing process so read all that you can and ask what questions you have.

I hope this helps you
    Rick
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 511
    edited 04/18/2013 - 9:49 AM
    Called my insurance company and they do not require a mental evaluation. They changed their policy in 2010.
  • SoftballmomSSoftballmom Posts: 52
    edited 04/18/2013 - 7:05 PM
    The trial implant wasn't right away for me. In fact, during all of the injections and other things they try first ( meds, PT, OT) they gave me a DVD to watch along with an informational packet that explained the whole procedure and purpose for it. I didn't really watch it at first because it was initially something they gave me to "think about". Only after not responding to the treatments did I finally watch the video. However, I stumbled upon this site and got more information than anything my PM gave me to view and read which made me decide to go ahead with the trial. My insurance had to approve the trial first, which took about a week, and then after reviewing my daily logs and % of pain relief did I get a referral to proceed with the implant. I also had to see a psychiatrist for a psych eval as part of the procedure and after she submitted her report to my PM, they contacted my insurance to get approval for the implant. That took about 3 weeks and then I was scheduled right away. I hope you are able to get scheduled for the trial so you can get an idea of what it will be like. I found that the threads and daily logs by members of this site to be the most helpful in preparing me for the whole SCS process.
    Good luck with everything!
  • advertisement
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 511
    edited 04/21/2013 - 5:46 PM
    My NS changed his mind. His nurse called me and told me that I am too much of risk for an infection. I had an infection in March 2012 after a fusion in February. I can understand his reasoning but why be all for it then change your mind a week and half later. His nurse told me that he would implant one next year if i am still having problems. I actually thought I may get some relief and now I have been let down. I see the NS again in June I am going to talk to him about it some more.
  • Rtgirl
    Infection is a major issue with a SCS. I like the idea that he may want to wait because of it.
    With those leads placed through and into the spinal canal its a travel point for infection to get inside the canal which
    Can be very dangerous. Sorry it did not work out for you right now but it may not be worth the chance until they can clear you.
    And it may not even be you. My surgeon did my implant and kicked me out of the hospital so I didn't catch a bug.
    It does sound like the doctor is thinking about you and not a sale of a SCS unit which is good maybe.

Good Luck. At least now you have some time to read more about them.
advertisement