Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I am going to spine clinic next week, injections or not?

I'm going to spine clinic and this dr specializes in epidural injections and doesn't do surgery. I was thinking I would go with the injections for my 2 herniations in L5-S1 (causing sciatica every night for 2 years) and T11-T12. But after reading about side effects on here in so scared! I'm 5'9" and 220 lbs and I can't afford to gain weight! Do most of you think it's worth it for pain relief? I can't stand not sleeping. :(
Michelle
advertisement

Comments

• I had a series of these shots and didn't experience any weight gain. I think sometimes spine patients experience weight gain because they simply stop moving as much as they did before due to the spine issues, and not necessarily any meds/treatments. I understand why these are scary, but honestly, its a shot... its in your back... that's it. True, its a little more complicated than the flu shot, but certainly not anything close to the most minor of surgeries. I would certainly give them a try. They work for lots of people. Just remember that most people do have to complete the series (usually 3) to see the most relief, and often relief isn't seen after the very first shot. Hang in there. Keep us posted.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I have an esi scheduled for Monday. I have read about side affects etc that people have had, but no one hasreally said anything about what the actual procedure is like - except you-I know it's a shot but what can I expect to go through? It will be in my neck
  • advertisement
  • There have been tons of posts discussing exactly what to expect with this procedure, every clinic/ doctor's office does things slightly different but the general procedures are the same.

Good luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • 33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
advertisement