Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Steps to getting treatment for chronic back pain

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,305
edited 01/05/2015 - 10:10 AM in Chronic Pain
This super work done by Sandi is now included in our FAQ... Please look at http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step for the formal version

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 05/30/2013 - 4:59 AM
    sandi
    i am truly impressed with the amount of the work you put into this post. i believe we all appreciate the hard work you did. so the good news is that there should be no and i mean absolutely no issues with respect to what people should do if they feel they have back issues. you laid it out step by step in a very sequential set up. so people should know not to go into a doctor's office and ask for strong narcotics the first thing they do. people should know this anyway but some don't or don't listen to people. now there are no excuses. the issue that most people have is the one about my doctor does not understand me or won't treat my pain, he won't give me meds etc and etc. if they follow this then there should be no issues at all. of course this is wishful thinking on my part. thanks again for the hard work and hopefully this will solve some problems.
    thanks again for the hard work
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I said that I would do it last night but I am sick so I had to do it this morning instead. I tried to give an overview of the entire process of treating chronic back pain. I'm sure that there are things that I may have left out inadvertantly but it does give an overview of what happens and the sequence of it.
    Hopefully it will answer some of the questions we often see and give new patients to the treatment of chronic pain a road map of sorts to getting their pain treated.
    Sandi
  • advertisement
  • anelsen15 said:
    Good job sandi, Im sick to at the moment something going around over here. I think this will help so much and nip alot of potential arguments in the butt.

Now if you could write a guide about what to do when the doctors have no idea whats going on with a patient and all specialties disagree lol. Sadly my course for the last two years.

Hi Anelson,
    LOL, now that would really take the cake, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, I think that all of us have seen that as well, in some arena in our health care. If I could come up with a logical explanation for that, I would make a million.........and save all of us from having to deal with it ever again.
    If only....
    Sandi
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 05/31/2013 - 11:36 AM
    i actually have the doctor does not believe me. my pain guy sent me to an orhto out of town, fresno, which is about 200 miles away. this guy looked at my mri and said the herniation does not look that bad. mind you, i could not walk, i had to get out of the car on the with to work due to the pain. i told my pain guy, he got me a new surgeon in my area about 5 miles away not 200 saw the problem and did surgery without question
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • got the MS run around , multiple MRI's and a two brain scans at one point after my first surgery, when my surgeon didn't want to deal with what he did to me after my first surgery. He tried very hard to convince me that I had suddenly developed MS, and one of the other surgeons that I saw for a consult did the same.......thankfully for me, nothing showed up in the MRI's through the cervical or thoracic areas, nor in the brain MRI's.........but they had me worried for a while.
    I understand all too well what it's like when things continue to worsen or new problems develop and there are no clear answers or directions in which to go...
    So we all do need to be our own advocate, and push when things aren't being resolved or given some direction in which to look next....
    It's frustrating and frightening,because we know all too well how we functioned before, and then we are left with things happening that cause more concern, and the doctors can't seem to connect the dots....so , I guess the point of my saying all of this is not to give up, and it might just take a trip to JH or Mayo, or some major teaching hospital but there are answers out there for you, just as there were for me....I didn't like the answer but at least I finally got it..
    Hang in there, and don't give up....
    Sandi
  • advertisement
  • Kiki48KKiki48 Posts: 196
    edited 05/31/2013 - 5:03 PM
    sandi said:
    got the MS run around , multiple MRI's and a two brain scans at one point after my first surgery, when my surgeon didn't want to deal with what he did to me after my first surgery. He tried very hard to convince me that I had suddenly developed MS, and one of the other surgeons that I saw for a consult did the same.......thankfully for me, nothing showed up in the MRI's through the cervical or thoracic areas, nor in the brain MRI's.........but they had me worried for a while.
    I understand all too well what it's like when things continue to worsen or new problems develop and there are no clear answers or directions in which to go...
    So we all do need to be our own advocate, and push when things aren't being resolved or given some direction in which to look next....
    It's frustrating and frightening,because we know all too well how we functioned before, and then we are left with things happening that cause more concern, and the doctors can't seem to connect the dots....so , I guess the point of my saying all of this is not to give up, and it might just take a trip to JH or Mayo, or some major teaching hospital but there are answers out there for you, just as there were for me....I didn't like the answer but at least I finally got it..
    Hang in there, and don't give up....
    Sandi
    I'

Sandi, it must be so frutstrating to be misdiagnosed and that your surgeon didn't want to deal what he had done to you...Wow!! Not to mention how frightened it was for you. That's so great that you finally got the answer... and how you than understand that doctors can't always connect the dots....I know too how frustrating that can get. Again I'm so happy you found the true reason for your difficulties regarding your spine. And you are getting the treatment you from the docs you know have. You are an inspiration. Plus because you didn't like the answer you got you kept looking for the help and the true reason. Good of you to share..

Kiki

Kiki
    XXOO
  • sandi
    i wonder about doctors stating that something seems to be not that bad when they look at mri's etc. i don't know if they realized they made a mistake and do not want to deal with it, or they refuse to deal with it due to laziness. i would think most doctors would admit they were wrong and deal with the problem. they guy that said my herniation did not look that bad, he must know that what is on film does not reflect the actual problem or actual pain. i think that they should take the patient's word for it unless there are other issues that show the patient is not being honest. that is why doctors will prescribe minimal pain meds when they don't believe a patient. they have to cover themselves legally and ethically. so if a doctor is unsure, then they should order more tests or refer the patient to another doctor to deal with it. i have the same issue with my hand after surgery. it got worse, can't move my finger and i went to the doctor. the doctor did the lets do therapy. i know that is the right step but i tried to tell her i did not think that would work. it was too full of scar tissue and i thought therapy would not solve the problem. maybe another surgery would be the best. she did not listen so i am doing therapy and maybe it will work but i am not holding my breath. i think she does not want to admit she made a mistake.
    jon
  • MRI's and CT scans are just a snap shot of a moment in time- what I mean by that, is that they take an image of that part of your body at one instant. They aren't dynamic. They don't show movement, or pressure that comes from position, so all they can show is what it picks up when the image is taken..and because of this, it is so very common to hear once a surgery is done, wow, the damage was so much more extensive than the studies showed. The body is made up of multiple structures that overlap, overlay or are part of larger organs and systems , and it is almost impossible to see the entire picture when it comes to spines due to the dynamic movement involved in it.
    Scar tissue can be released somewhat with more therapy so it is not necessarily a bad idea to continue or extend therapy to help loosen the tissue Jon.......so I would continue that, at least for some time to see if there is any progress. More surgery may help but it can also make the scar tissue worse, since any further injury to the area can worsen/thicken already existing scar tissue.......
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.