Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post microdiscectomy July 17 - 4 days in

Comments

• Have not gotten in the water yet, i was told only walking and light stretching so far. I have my 4 week appointment tomorrow so i will ask him about swimming and let you know. I think my incision is healed so hopefully i will get the ok. Before the surgery I was doing some pilates excercises and yoga stretches to strengthen my legs and core. They seemed to really work for the inner core muscles that wrap the spine. I had no previous experience with either so I had a physical therapist line me out on which excercises were good, she also told me that some of the excersises(especially yoga) can actually do more harm so be a little wary. I dont know if those "harmful" ones will apply to post op excercise regime but hoping he gives me the ok to start therapy tomorrow so i can ask. I will let you know what he says tomorrow.
  • I heard there is a video called " Pilates for Fragile Backs" I'm going to check out.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • advertisement
  • Pam; Glad to hear your doing well. How did you feel right after surgery? Some wrote that it wasn't too bad and was much less than sciatica and some wrote they felt like they were hit by a bus. Some wrote the surgical site itself felt really strange and painful and they were very weak. My concern is that I am 50 and not in the best shape. I used to work out a couple of years ago but since this back issue, I have been basically not doing much at all for over a year. It is an effort to walk at all these days.
  • start pt monday, super excited to do something active hopefully will take care of lingering nerve pain once muscles are loose and strong again. let you know what the therapist says about swimming.
  • PamhoffcaPPamhoffca Posts: 163
    edited 07/27/2013 - 7:18 AM
    Cathy....I actually felt pretty good after surgery. Had some immediate relief in the leg from the nerve pain which was thrilling. I had also heard some stories of having pain when they breathed, difficulty changing positions, etc. Not so much for me. I slept on my side the first night and had one of the best nights sleep in weeks....cuz the darn leg pain was gone!!! It was painful getting in and out of bed....just have to do it VERY slow. Once up, I was fine walking, etc. I borrowed a walker for night time potty trips for stability. Used a cane in the daytime. overall.....much less pain than I expected. My back pain at the surgical sit is pretty minor. My issues with recovery is lingering nerve pain in my foot and hip pain when I walk...as well as general weakness in my right leg.
  • advertisement
  • IronmanmattIIronmanmatt Posts: 9
    edited 08/01/2013 - 1:51 PM
    Apologies for not posting sooner. Decided to stay off line for a little while during recovery. Lost my job a couple of weeks before surgery so don't have the iPhone anymore to be connected 24/7. I actually really like it, and life does go on as usual without access to the Internet!
    Things have been up and down for me both physically and mentally. Recovery is going well, 10 day post surgery visit was good. Things healing nicely and only small moments of discomfort in leg and lower back, especially if I over do it a little. Still have the foot numbness which I don't like but that's just a wait and see thing. Going on vacation July 16th and so go back to surgeon on 9th to hopefully get the ok to go in the pool. Fingers crossed.
    I am bored out of my mind at home. Trying to be careful but sitting around is not my thing. Have taken my kids to the pool as they are active and I don't want them sitting at home all summer. They walk with me am and pm, and we do about a mile each time now.
    I didn't realize how hard mentally this would be. I think it's a success so far, but I feel so far away from what I used to do, and I am having a hard time looking ahead to see me there again. My wife even said today that I seemed a little depressed. I think it's just been a bad day of being indoors,it rained all day, not being able to play with my kids like I want, having some other pains from sitting or sleeping funny. I have a very sore neck and back muscles and a numbness in my left elbow???
    Combine that with not having a job and not certain when I can function enough to apply and interview, just a bad day.
    Sorry to moan. Need to be positive that the leg pain is gone and I am on the uphill part of recovery.
    Hope everyone is having a good day and getting better.
    Cheers,

Matt
    Matt. Father of two boys aged 3 and 6. L5S1 microdiscectomy July 17, 2013
    edited 08/01/2013 - 1:54 PM
    Cliner,

How was PT? What did they have you do?
  • Cliner157CCliner157 Posts: 8
    edited 08/02/2013 - 7:42 AM
    pt is good, they just have me doing some light abdominal work and hamstring stretching right now. the bad thing is i am so tight that it is painful and actually agrivates the nerve, but after the excercise i ice down and the nerve pain goes away so it must just be inflammation. took some ibeprofen for the first time yesterday and it helped greatly. don't really want to start taking it but if it helps reduce the inflammation like that i might have to think about it. had not taken any pills since day 2 post op mostly due to stubborness and hoping my body would take care of itself. on a whole i am doing good, i do feel better since starting the pt although it is surprising how tight and out of shape i became in those 4 weeks of inactivity, but it is definately a mental boost doing something pro-active for once. next week start work on the total gym so right now just looking forward to that.
  • PamhoffcaPPamhoffca Posts: 163
    edited 08/02/2013 - 1:05 PM
    Turns out my PT doesnt begin until 8/12...1 month from the surgery date...ugh!! I suppose he has reasons, but I feel like Im sitting around wasting time.
    edited 08/12/2013 - 12:13 AM
    So things seemed to be going well with recovery until about a week ago I started to get stabbing pain in my hip when I turned a certain way. This is happening mostly at night when I am in bed and try to turn over, or when I am sitting in a hard chair and try and get up. It is particularly bad in bed when I try and turn over and get comfortable. It's a quick shot of pain in the hip, then dissipates a little once I stop the movement. Once I am up and moving things are ok and I can walk around pretty well. Saw the surgeon last week and he said its just the nerve correcting itself/ scaring, but just to keep him updated. Anyone else experience this type of thing returning after things seemed to be going well. I am afraid I my have reherniated but the surgeon seemed confident it was not that and just part of the healing process.
    I am definately better than I was pre op but the shooting pain is about a 7/8 for a second or two when it happens.
    I am still walking a couple of miles a day and have the ok to get in the pool now so doing water walking as well.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.