Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

discectomy redo & nerve root injection --- im still in pain

Hi everybody,
Im new here and ive been looking every where on line for some answers to basic questions - and yes i have spoke to my surgeon on several occasions. His response to my queries were fairly negative so im hoping someone on here can give me an idea of when i should expect to be pain free and off medication -
here is my story, Copied and pasted from a short diary i kept =

Discectomy 16:30 13th May - still getting sciatic pain afterwards
26th May - attended A & E sciatic pain in a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest ---pain is at 12. Almost had me in tears - - - hospital Dr says ive been overdoing things. Probably right......remember this when you start running again ;-)
1st June _ dialled 999 pain totally unbearable' taken to rvi got morphine tomazopan etc and x-ray which showed nothing- pain was at 15 almost vomited and lost consciousness,
Medication now = nefopan + diclofenac + tramadol + docusate + paracetamol.
3rd June 08:15 called rvi ward 17 and explained all the above. Sister is going to tell surgeon about my condition. Appointment today 10:45 at sugery. Dr disgusted with RVI treatment - he,s going to speak to Surgeons secretary.
4th June - been to hospital - Surgeon couldnt understand why i didnt get instant relief after surgery. Got taken for an MRI. Back in Surgeons office - scan showed the same disc had burst again. Sureon said that as the relief wasnt instant after surgery the disc probably burst when being moved about in theatre after the operation. Another op coming soon. Ssurgeon will call when a slot becomes available.
Friday 7th June - pain dropped significantly in the afternoon ?Pain back to normal Saturday morning.
2nd operation booked Wednesday 12th June -
got told I was going to be last into theatre :-( but got moved into 1st place. Time on wall clock as anesthetic given = 09:48am. Woke up 11:55. Transferred to room and walked very slowly from bed to window - Pain free
Pain slowly coming back - 1st July only managed to walk the dogs for 20 minutes - pain between 7 & 8. Hoping its just part of the healing process. Called RVI and was told to go back onto painkillers.
Drs appointment 11:00 2nd July locum Dr - prescribed Amitriptyline & naproxen. Dr is going to fax Surgeon for follow up appointment, Only able to walk dogs for 10 minutes - getting too painful.
5th July - meeting with Surgeon - Pain could be being caused by 1 of 3 things..1. Disc has burst again 2. Fragment from previous procedure is hitting sciatic nerve 3. Sciatic nerve is damaged. Had MRI scan but Surgeon wont be able to look at results until Monday and He,ll call me with options.
Monday 8th July work called @ 11:00 asking about progress
Surgeon called 12:45 8th July - scan shows disc has not herniated. Pain may be from sciatic nerve being irritated for long period of time. Suggested nerve injection - this numbs sciatic nerve and hopefully allows nerve to settle down. Hopefully going to get this done this week.
Injection booked for 14:30 Thursday 10th July - rvi called with a cancellation - Got injection at 12:30ish. Feeling pretty relieved.

The effects of the injection lasted for 4 days - pain at the moment is down my left thigh to the back of my knee cap. I have tried unsuccessfully to stop all my medication but pain was unbearable -
I know its a long story and i really appreciate it if youve read this far my only MAJOR question is -

How long should i expect to be in pain for ? 3 months < 3 years ??? i asked my surgeon and he told me some surgery is not always successful !!! i understand this but when should i be concerned ?
Previous to herniating my disc my hobby was long distance running ....which adds to my confusion ;-)
Thank you for reading and hopefully someone can offer some good news
kindest regards
Dudley = 48 yr old male = northumberland
advertisement