Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

October surgery

Hi there i am booked in for C5/C6 ACDF with a plate rods & screws. I have asked if he could use my own bone graft rather than allograft or a cage. This was a personal choice because about 5 years ago i had C6/C7 ACDF no plate rods or screws plus a doner allograft was used. Within 2 months the graft crashed down into my C7 vertebra. I know it wasn't the grafts fault but if i'm going to have bone wobbling around in me i think i would prefer it to be my own. Anyway back to my October surgery so is there anyone else having surgery in October & wants a buddy.
advertisement

Comments

• susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    edited 08/23/2013 - 8:54 PM
    It's been a while since we have heard from you. If you get a chance PM me. I have done a lot of research.

God Bless you and your wife,
    Susie
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
    Sciatica 3/11/16 Left Leg prescribed Medrol Pack 6 days also Physical Therapy.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 10/20/2013 - 9:14 AM
    Bundy
    I was just asking if anyone had heard from you. It's been awhile like last June maybe.
    Sorry to hear you need another surgery but this just may be what you need to have a normal life. What are they doing with the first bone graft is it still lose. Have they discussed this?
    I always try to look at the bright side of everything when we can and the good thing is the anterior surgery is so much easier to get over and the recovery is much quicker.

Take care and good luck with this surgery.
    Ask if you need anything
    Rick
  • advertisement
  • It has been a tough few months my old family Doctor retired. My new doctor has been playing around with my medications at first i was not very amused but then i thought to myself maybe a change is just wot i need. So me being a pig headed male i decided to stop taking 8 out of the 10 medications. Wow that 6 weeks was a fun ride. The look on my doctors face when i told him was priceless. Now i am over the detox i actually feel better now than when i was on them. My new doctor has put me on some new pain medication witch is helping to a degree. I have to see him every week & he will keep changing things until he gets the dosage right. It has all left me feeling a whole lot more positive. Now with the surgery booked in for October i am on the hunt for some October surgery buddies please. As far as i know Rick they are just going leave the other graft unless it causes more problems. This next surgery is at the C5/C6 i am hoping that is the source of all of my pain.. hope is a good thing.......
  • I wish you well on the surgery and I too hope it's the source of pain.
    It never hurts to have a second or third set of eyes looking into your care.
    Sometimes med changes make a big positive difference I would caution you on changing or stopping so many at a time. My newest PM only makes one.change per week or two so we know more what the change does. Stopping cold turkey can do some.damage depending on your drugs.
    In Denver at the airport I met a man paralyzed from the waist down with a cord injury at the same place has mine. He had a interesting take on pain meds. He says we are never pain
    free and most pain meds need to be increased over time to keep is comfortable but not pain free. He stopped all pain meds and says he is still in pain but feels better and the pain does not seam to increase it stays at a level he feels he can deal with.. Then the poor guy was in another accident and had to have one foot amputated which did start some more new phantom pain but he deals with that with meditation and acupuncture.
    Anything is worth a try.

I do hope they tie down that lose fusion in you just so it can't do any damage later.

Good Luck
    Rick
  • mbridgemanmmbridgeman Posts: 20
    edited 08/27/2013 - 4:10 PM
    I'm scheduled for Oct 9 (was originally Sept 3 but I got my NS to agree, although hesitantly, to push it back). The sad reason is, I need to get in the sick leave bank at work and I can't get in until Oct. I can't afford weeks without pay...a few days, I can tolerate.
    Anywho, I am supposed to have ACDF (I forget which discs, or maybe I'm blocking from nerves) with allograft and a titanium plate/screws. My NS says no PT or collar. I'm not in pain, just annoying numbness and tingling in my arms and hands off and on. The thing that worries me is the disc herniation is compressing my spinal cord to the point where I have no protective fluid around it in that area.
    I've been lurking here for a while but can only read so much before it starts to get to me. I finally decided to join today.
    I'm considering going into surgery with foam bolts on my neck and a bride of Frankenstein wig...thoughts? LOL
  • advertisement
  • It's good to hear from you again Rick, I know it can be a bit stupid to stop taking my meds but i had reached a point where something had to change. I found myself in severe pain at about 3am standing in my kitchen staring at a cupboard full of prescribed medication & none of it helped so thats when i decided it's time to get off some of this poison. One of the best decisions i ever made. But i must admit detoxing from some of them was not exactly a fun ride. Probably the hardest 6 weeks of my life. The look on my doctors face when i told him was priceless & i got a huge telling off from him as well. Hi there mbridgeman i would be great to have a surgery buddy. I don't know if it's true or not but i have heard that it's better to have surgery in October than any other month of the year LOL. Please stay in touch & feel free to PM me any time.
    Take care all
    Allan (bundy)
  • mbridgemanmmbridgeman Posts: 20
    edited 08/29/2013 - 1:54 AM
    I've never heard that about October but I LIKE it! I have never had this type of surgery before so any advice or thoughts you can offer would be much appreciated :)
    Michelle~
  • bundybbundy Posts: 61
    edited 08/31/2013 - 2:49 AM
    I have been trying to think back to when i had an ACDF the main things it's much less painful than posterior. If i remember rightly i woke from my ACDF surgery with a bit of a sore throat which was gone in a day or two. You just have to do wot your surgeons tell you to do or not to do. Don't over do things & give your body a chance to heal. I like to think positive thought helps also or is that a bit to new age? lol
    take care,
    Allan
  • I would worry about this.
    Laying on a table partially knocked out
    And you hear the surgeon say
    TRICK OR TREAT
    October Don't sound good to me Ha ha haha

• Not too new age at all, imo. I think the brain is a powerful tool...mind over matter, right? :) Thanks for those words of advice.

@ Rickilalas....I hope I don't HEAR anything while I'm knocked out. That would be a whole other problem. :)
    Michelle
advertisement