Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Upper back pain and chest pain

Hi all, I am currently suffering with upper back pain, and it comes on strong during the night (4am/5am ish) which wakes me up, and the pain spread around to my chest and makes breathing in painful. Once I am up and about I feel better although still pains in the upper back. I saw my GP yesterday who did lots of checks and said I have sprained a muscle but my mobility, movements and strength is all normal. The pains are tight and in waves,
I have never suffered with this sort of pain before.
I also suffer with Fibromyalgia in my shoulders and neck which I have been suffering with for a few years, but this is never that bad (i.e. it doesnt stop me doing things)
For painkillers, I am taking Paracetamol and Codeine.
Any advice, tips etc would be very helpful!

Thanks, Nichola (UK)
advertisement

Comments

• I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

JellyHall

• Hi Hopefully your GP is right and it is muscle pain and spasms which can be painful. I have pulled muscles in my back and it did resolve after about three to six weeks, Hopefully yours should resolve if you are careful with your back and try not to strain your muscles.

I would wait it out, take it easy which means no lifting, vacuuming etc or any heavy exercise and just look after your back. It is your central nervous system so please take it easy and be careful with your spine.

If it goes for longer than that, or you feel it is getting worse, you probably should go back to your GP and ask for more tests. You could ask your GP for a muscle relaxant (I would use this as a last resort) or visit a physiotherapist or osteopath for a massage. They can really help with muscle injuries. Heat can also help. Sleeping with a pillow between your knees takes the weight off your spine so this may also help. There are also some good muscle rubs around which might ease the pain.
  • advertisement
  • sweanyssweany Posts: 1
    edited 12/05/2013 - 6:05 AM
    Is there a cure for this so called Problem. I'm only twentytwo and i don't want to live like this for the rest of my life. As far as the pain is concerned i would not describe this pain in my back as being crackig. Its more like a bitter discomfort most of the times. I hate my life being so limited. Its effecting my psyche. Has anybody any advice for me? At this point i'm really pretty open to anything that could help me....

Post edited to remove URL . Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted, please read the Forum rules
  • mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 10/01/2013 - 7:47 PM
    Nichola, all being well your GP is right and the problem will resolve itself in time. If however, the pains persist, become worse, or if you start experiencing numbness or weakness in your legs or feet, or bladder/bowel urgency, tell your GP straight away.
    Did the doctor do a "Babinski" test (stroking the bottom of your foot to see whether your toes curl up or down)?
    Mick
    I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • There are many treatments available for facet syndrome- some include injections to ease the pain and inflammation, some
    include radio frequency lesioning so that it burns the nerve endings and usually lasts at least 6 months , sometimes up to a year or more...and it can be done over and over for extended relief.

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

JellyHall
  • advertisement
  • If you touch the areas of your chest that hurt and press down on those areas and it hurts, it could be one of these diseases
    A rhumatologist would be helpful in diagnosing your pain
    God bless
    Rose
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
    edited 10/04/2013 - 7:44 PM
    Have you been coughing much? Sounds like I felt when I had pleurisy, it was like a stabbing pain, worse in the middle in night and along a couple ribs to the edges of my sternum. It really was painful, I sympathize if you have that, but it goes away in a couple weeks. Feel better soon.
  • I've had muscle spasms and pain before and it can be very uncomfortable and painful. It did resolve itself eventually after a couple of weeks. If the pain doesn't go away then please return to your gp! Don't take on any strenuous activities until it's feeling better. Best of luck!
  • Jim_LJJim_L Posts: 189
    edited 12/05/2013 - 2:37 AM
    I'm 52, back when I was around 15-16 I convinced my parent t buy me a motorcycle (100cc Indian).
    My first attempt to ride, I went slow into the woods next to my house & crashed (more of a slip actually being new at this but I got better!) the bike next to a tree & I came off the bike & wrapped myself backwards around the tree. It hurt but being a kid, I bounced right back onto the bike.
    Years later my wife & I were at a friends wedding reception sitting at a table just talking & I had what felt like my first 'heart attack' where my chest was being crushed.
    MANY years later after having a full spinal mri for a pre op test, it was revealed that many of my thoracic disks were herniated & around T10-12 the spinal cord is compressed about halfway. I realized it was the bike incident that caused the initial damage & a life of carting around rock band equipment didn't help.
    Many times over the years I've had lots of these 'attacks' where i'll be unable to move or just fall to the ground unable to move until the attack calms down. Sometimes I feel like i'll suffocate, barely ale to breath in enough air to fill an empty balloon. The middle of my back is a constant numbing burn below the surface between my shoulder blades & it wraps around the left side of my chest on occasion. My toddler grandson came over a few weeks ago & I enjoyed playing with him for a few hours & spent the next 6 days recovering...;>)
    Something that happened so long ago can easily comeback to bite you in the arse! Every 'new' bit of 'damaging activity' can accumulate a little at a time but the recovery time becomes exponential.
    I'm at a point where I can't pick him up again (but I will, i'm Irish that way!) because he may just put me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. The snow shoveling/blowing will be interesting this year...;>)
    An MRI is the only way to reveal such damage. Get it checked asap!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304
    The T4 disc can mimic heart attacks. There will be a great deal of pressure on your chest, as if an elephant was sitting there and you can get sharp pains in both of your arms

Some therapists and a few doctors will refer to this as the T4 Syndrome.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement