Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-op pain below kneecap, Anyone else have this?

I had a left lumber microdiscectomy done on Monday, October 7th. After the surgery I developed pain just below the left knee cap. This is a new pain that I did not have before surgery. It feels like my knee was smacked with something and it appears to have some bruising. The pain gets worst when walking. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I told my nurse in the hospital and she thought that during surgery there was not enough padding under my knee during the surgery. So I asked my surgeon about it during his rounds and he kind of blew it off.
Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
advertisement

Comments

• The fact that there is bruising would suggest site inflammation so "site trauma" and not related to your spine, which is a good thing. I think it is very reasonable that it got smacked when they flipped you over after you were asleep. Hopefully in a few days it will be completely back to normal. Just keep an eye on it. Has icing it helped? Sorry the surgeon blew you off, I can imagine that is a terrible/frustrating feeling. Best of luck on your healing.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I have been icing it and that seems to help a bit along with the pain meds that I am taking. It was just a weird situation and the nurses were sure it happened in surgery. I would have like to hear it from the surgeon, at least that things like this can happen but he acted like it wasn't a big deal.
    Kristy

• advertisement
  • The surgeon was coverig his "butt" or the " butt" of the hospital staff?

ROSE
  • I realize it isnt that big of a deal when it comes to all the other problems that could have arised. It was pretty sore over night when I would get up and walk. It felt like I was smacked with a stick.
    Kristy

advertisement