Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L3/L4 bulging disc compressing ventral thecal sac

Hey everyone,

I haven't been on here for a short while because I was hoping to leave my back issues in the past. I was recovering well from my most recent fusion until July when my back started to extremely hurt again, nerve pain (which is chronic from nerve pain) was worsening, numbness worsening...leg starting to tremble when I go up and down stairs.

I took pause and tried to take a deep breath that no, this will not lead to more surgery. I mean, who is under 30 going into a 4th back surgery? Surely my bad luck couldn't continue right? So I did the PT, nsaids, muscle relaxers, icing, etc. route to no avail. This week I had a CT-myleogram and feeling impatient to wait for my neuro appt. on the 25th, decided to pick up my report early so I could have a plan when I talk to my surgeon as I really don't want a 4th back surgery...and 3rd in 3 years. With each surgery I feel more and more that surgery doesn't fix everything, obviously.

Anyway, so I picked up my report and was happy to see there was no fracture like before my last fusion (Dec. 2012), which was my immediate concern as that happened before while recovering. It reports that my l5/s1 degenerative disc is more advanced than a year ago, but not major. But then it also reports my l3/l4 bulging disc is compressing my ventral thecal sac. A term I was unfamiliar with until a bit of Googling happened.

Has this happened to anyone? Did you require surgery? If yes, could you get a lamenectomy and NOT another fusion. Or once you go fusion, do you have to keep going fusion? Any help would be appreciated. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the CRAZINESS that this is still happening. I live in a time warp. Ugh!

Appreciate your help :)
advertisement