Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Hey all, I'm back!

advertisement

Comments

• Glad to hear things went well! And you are home. Remember just because you feel good don't over do it. I know it can be boring not being able to do a lot and feeling so great.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Dr office called in a script for valium (5 mg 3x a day). My biggest issue a nerve pain on the left side from the buttock area to the ankle. I'm not so sure the 10 mg Vicodin is enough for that pain. I think I might call the Dr office this morning to see if there's something stronger for that pain. Right side feels pretty good and if it weren't for the left side, I'd be feeling MUCH better. I just feel like this left side pain is keeping me from doing better. Anybody experience this? I know the doc called this a left side TLIF. So what does that mean? Hope you're all recovering nicely and having a happy New year!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • advertisement
  • I just went back to see my surgeon and am having the same problem. The Vicodin just isn't cutting anymore. By 4:00 in the afternoon I take my last dose and by midnight I. In agony and am up all night in pain. He was very understanding and prescribed my oxy, even though its one of the last things I want to take, I need to get this pain under control. Ugh, I hope you feel better.
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • I hear ya! My doc can't call in another pain med. I would have to go get the script at his office and that's not happening. He is, however calling in a script for neurontin for .nerve pain and I hope that will help.

Good luck to you!
  • RubyTuesdayRRubyTuesday Posts: 195
    edited 01/04/2014 - 2:54 AM
    Still have a lot of nerve pain in the left leg. Not eating much at all...nothing sounds good. But I am drinking lots of milk. Walking as much as I can, but we have 5 or 6 inches of snow on the ground and we're getting a blizzard tomorrow. I just pray the power doesn't go out. I know a lot of you are also expecting bad weather, so I wish you well!
  • advertisement
  • Just wanted to give an update on my progress for anyone out there who might be having this procedure coming up and is looking for info. I know there are lot of scary post-op stories out there.

My throat finally started feeling better at day 5 from the tube they put down it. It was pretty sore.

I'm on 10mg hydrocodone every 4 hrs for pain and it does the job for the most part. My biggest pain is nerve pain is in my leg, down around my ankle/shin and across the top of my foot. I'm on neurontin for nerve pain (300 mg 3x day), but it's not doing much good. I think I'm going to call the Dr's to see if I can take more than 3 in a 24 hrs period. I'm also on valium ....1 pill 3x per day.

I'm not able to walk much because we had a blizzard and there's a foot of snow on the ground, so I'm walking as much as I can in the house. Still have some pain the buttocks but hoping that goes away gradually.

Incision sites (5 holes total) have been fine...no pain, no leaking, not uncomfortable to lay on. Took my first shower on Saturday and it went just fine. Even washed and dried my hair. Bought a shower chAir but didn't even need it.

All in all, for 1 week post op, I think I'm doing pretty good. Sleeping good at night until the nerve in my ankle/foot flares up.

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • RubyTuesday I am glad to hear you've notice improvements and I hope every day gets better for you.

Amy
    Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • RubyTuesdayRRubyTuesday Posts: 195
    edited 01/10/2014 - 7:10 AM
    I just want to give an update for those out there looking for information on how long it will take to recover.

Today is day 10 and I feel like I've broken thru barrier. I have much less burning nerve pain today and can walk better. I do have low blood pressure issue, but hopefully, we can work that out.
  • Ruby how you feeling now? I have fusion surgery this next Friday, hope it helps me as much as you. Hope your doing well.
  • I'm feeling pretty good today and tomorrow will be my 2 week post op anniversary. Last night, I took my meds before bedtime, which was about 9:45 and didnt wake up until 6 am! So, I guess that would indicate that my pain level is decreasing. I still have quite a bit of weakness in my left leg and do not feel at this point that I could walk for any distance. When I walk, I still have that limp on the left side. I know I'm not walking as much I I should because I can't even get outside because of the snowstorm that came thru here last Sunday. Thank God we didn't lose power during that time like so many others did.

I also have quite a bid of numbness and tingling in my left foot, so I'm icing it as much as possible. I catch myself bending over to get something and have to remind myself no blt! I have a grabber, but sometimes I'll just squat to get something if the grabber isn't close. I think that's okay to do occasionally.

That's about it. I'm hoping the weakness on my left side subsides so I can walk further.

I wish you the best of luck and will be anxious to hear how your operation goes. Just do what you're told (read the post op papers you're given.....those usually get lost in the aftermath). I'm sure your surgery will go very well. Hang in there!
advertisement