Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone regret surgery?

I know I'm posting a lot tonight, but I'm just lookin for support. I had scoliosis of 52 degrees lumbar spine and it was getting worse. So we decided it was a good time to get it done. I had mild to moderate pain prior to surgery with my back... But now it's like way worse and I regret getting surgery and wish I never would have done it. Not only can I not take care of my 3 year old like I want.. I wake up like I'm 90 and throughout the day I struggle. I wish I would have just left well enough alone.
28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
advertisement

Comments

• SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 01/21/2014 - 4:03 AM
    Loaded question

Hi, this question will get you a whole host of negative replies from people who regret their surgeries, due to the way you asked it. I personally still feel really good about my recent decision to do my fusion, and I am feeling much better.

I think it might be of some benefit for you to look for positive, proactive support, instead of looking for agreement amongst other people who also feel regret. If you surround yourself with other people who are negative (even over the net), you won't feel better. In fact, you may only increase your unhappiness. Maybe try to find constructive and active ways to reach out for support. Do you feel terrible? Yes. Acknowledge that but then decide to actively reduce your pain.

I really feel for you as a young mom. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and I know exactly what you meant about waking up "feeling 90" and not looking forward to the day. Taking care of children requires a lot of energy and even an able bodied person gets tired taking care of a child.

I was able to find relief in therapeutic disc injections, prior to my fusion, and for the first time in years, I could actually play at the playground with my child, instead of sitting on the bench, watching my mother play with my children. I hope you can also find some way to manage your pain that allows you enough pain relief to enjoy your child the way you have been missing.

But really stay positive. If you continue to try new therapies, you may eventually find something. But staying positive is really important.

Best of luck
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • I'm going back and forth about this regret now before the surgery (3w) from today. I think the only thing that is helping is I know I've tried everything. I've done the PT, stretches, every pain medicine and none of that helps. I've also tried every SI injection, facet injection, had nerves burned twice (that hurts!) which none of that is good for you. And am finally making the decision to do this. Which everyone has opinions about.

But I think it is a matter of being positive afterwards. Which I tend to think I'm a positive person, but I will freak about every little negative thing, but I want to be better.

I know that right now I'm not so positive b/c right now before the surgery I feel 90! I feel like I can't do anything and wear tennis shoes to my professional job w dress clothes and suffer through the day b/c pain meds don't work. So I'm really hoping this is the fix. I'd even be ok w reduced pain at this point. And suffering through a recovery to hopefully be "normal" later.

But I'm 30 and no kids so I imagine that is hard and frustrating when you have children and you have those responsibilities and feel like you're missing out on things with them.
  • advertisement
  • So many people have their own reasons for loving/hating getting surgery done. There are so many variables such as procedure done, level of ability with doctors, not fixing the true reason of pain, being told the truth before surgery, etc.

That being said, I feel I would be in better health now if I did not have the procedure done. For three months after surgery I felt great! The best that I had felt in a long time. I believe I rushed getting back to work too fast and did things I probably shouldn't have which caused a whole different kind of pain I have now. I feel my surgeon did what he said he would do and I did get the relief he advertised. Albeit, not for long.

The pain I have now is worse than the pain I had before surgery. Plus, I am much more limited now than what I was before surgery. However, I will not let the pain dictate to me what I'm going to do. I still do as much as I can with my family, go hiking in the Smoky Mountains (which I pay for dearly afterwards), clean the house, walk the dog, etc.

My family knows that when I'm hurting more than usual I have to back off of activities. They all understand that and help me out when needed. Positive family support is so important. Most people who have a supportive family usually have a better outlook than someone who doesn't.

I sincerely hope you get to feeling better soon!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Absolutely not. I'm still sore and achy, and definitely not 100%. But SOOO much better than pre-surgery.
    Compressed Discs/DDD - L2/L3, L3/L4
    Major Herniation - L4/L5
    Bulging Disc - L5/S1
    "no healthy 24 year old's back should look like this without a major trauma"
    MicroDisc L4/L5 Nov 7, 2013
  • Yes, I wake up achy and stiff, but I'm only 4 weeks post op. My neck finally feels like it can handle the weight of my head, whereas before, my head always felt too heavy. What I thought were arthritis aches, my ns explained today that it is just the muscles learning how to work the right way. Said my aches are very normal for 4 week post op.

Prior to having this surgery, I was advised by both my neurologist and my neurosurgeon that if I fall, I could be paralyzed. That reason right there makes me so glad I had the surgery.

2013-4 Level ACDF C4-C7 herniation with severe spinal stenosis at C4-C5. .Bulging disk at L3-L4, and L4-L5. Herniation at L5-S1. As of 8/29/14 Bulging disc at L2-L5-S1 and disc protrusion at L3-L4.
  • advertisement
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 01/21/2014 - 1:36 PM
    I just had to laugh... I still sport the tennis shoes and professional attire.... not every day, but many.... still, even though surgery didn't help my "style" it did give me a much better quality of life. Not sure when your surgery was, but I know I had months of pain... hang in there.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I'm so happy I had my surgery. I went from having no life and living on Norco and Neurontin to being a normal 24 year old. I have no back pain and my leg pain is no more than a 1 or 2 out of 10 now. Sure, the first few days after I regretted the surgery, but I followed my surgeon's orders and feel better now than I have in over a year.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 106
    Do I have pain everyday? I sure do, but so did I before surgery. Can I do everything I used to? Absolutely not! But in my case the decision was easy. Not doing anything woul've a meant a slowly painful and boring life because of disability getting worse or a sudden death. Since the surgeries, I've had to learn to live with my limitations and my daily dose of pain, but in return I still can walk and I don't have to worry about anything happening to me that could leave me completely disabled or dead. I didn't have a choice, but I guess things turned out OK. Always being positive is a big part of being happy and well even though things aren't always perfect.
  • garycdewittggarycdewitt Posts: 51
    edited 01/21/2014 - 10:51 PM
    I too don't have many if any regrets about my lumbar fusion(s). The recovery is still ongoing. I'm still having a lot of muscle aches. I can't lift anything. If I stub my toe, the muscle pain puts me on my knees. But, this pain is nothing compared to what I was going through before as a couch potato.
  • I'm about 3 1/2 months postop from a 3 level fusion. I still take a couple of Norco a day, but can sit and stand longer each week. I sat thru an entire restaurant meal last night which I haven't been able to do in years! My best advise is to research your surgeon and get the best one possible. It really makes a difference.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
advertisement