Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Preparing for lumbar fusion ... What ekes should I buy?

Hi ... Two weeks to go before l4/l5 flexible rod and l5/s1 fixed rod fusion ... No muscle cutting thank goodness. Have already bought a sock and tights dressing aid, front fastening bras, vests to go under corset and am borrowing a frame to go around the toilet, a bath board ... Have read about the long handle wipers for "hard to get to areas" ... Basically backside ! Do I really need one of these or will I be able to twist the tiny bit to wash myself? Also noticed everybody talks about getting front opening pyjama tops ... I hate pyjamas. Does this mean I will not be able to stretch arms above my head?
Also .. Pain and muscle tightness really driving me mad now as last set of shots are wearing off ... Started Butrans patches 5mg/7 days today to keep me going until op ... Surgeon says I can still take amitryptyline at night with this ... Will the patches relax the muscle tightness or should I still take gone Diazepam just at night for this ?
All suggestions gratefully received as I veer between fear and despair and can't wait to get to the surgery hoping the post op pain will at least be different to what I going through now ...
advertisement

Comments

• I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll answer what I can. I'm 5 weeks out from an l4-l5 fusion, so these things are still fresh in my mind.

As for wiping, I was able to twist slightly (just keep your frame/torso forward), and whenever you can, wipe from the front. I don't wear pajamas either, but was advised by other Spine Health members that I would be able to lift my arms over my head and I have been. I've been wearing tee shirts since the day I got out of the hospital. I've also invested in some elastic waisted sweatpants (not sure what you call them) with a regular open pant leg, not an elastic pant leg. I've also been wearing the socks with grippers on the bottom (little rubbery things) because s house slippers can sometimes cause you to trip.

Sorry I can't answer more of your questions. Good luck!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • As for wiping, I used an old pair of tongs to hold the wad of toilet paper. I, of course, threw them away after I didn't need them anymore.
  • advertisement
  • I had no issues with the wiping... hopefully you won't either. Purchase some silky PJ pants for the first few days at home. I hate them...loathe them actually but I'm a believer because they do help you move around in bed/couch much easier. Be sure to purchase and pack your favorite chap stick and lotion and place it in your hospital bag. Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I would suggest a grabber, I didnt see that you mentioned having one. It is amazing how much you drop stuff and have to bend over to pick it up. I had a basket next to my bed with all the little things that I needed throughout the day. (meds, chapstick, tic-tacs, pen, sticky notes, hand sanitizer, lotion, sleeping mask and crackers.) It was easier to reach for the basket than trying to get something off the nightstand and knocking everything off on to the floor. I also bought a folding TV tray for extra room to put my laptop on and other stuff. A good water bottle, one of those Camelbak kind work great because you can drink out of them laying down. I didnt need anything to help wipe and the OT didnt even offer it in the hospital. Slip on shoes and lots of lounge pants. I even was able to wear lounge pants and a t-shirt in the hospital, it made me feel more normal, instead of the hospital gown.

You will do great and we are all here for you!!! When is your surgery?
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • One more thing....if you're staying overnight in the hospital, take earplugs. Hospitals are noisier than a train station!
  • advertisement
  • RubyTuesday said:
    One more thing....if you're staying overnight in the hospital, take earplugs. Hospitals are noisier than a train station!
    And a sleeping mask. There are little lights everywhere.
    Kristy

• Thank you all for your suggestions ... Yes, I already have a grabber and yes, had already put aside a basket for putting things like lip balm, hand cream, pen etc in. Also decided to keep a note book for writing down when I took meds, sleep or rest etc and walking. I should be in hospital between 5 - 7 days and have already put aside eye shade, earplugs and will take my own pillows!
    Surgery will be the afternoon of Friday 21st ... in one way it cannot come soon enough as I am just so weary from all the pain, on the other I am nervous of what the pain will be like on the other side!
    Do you think a raised toilet seat is a good idea or a frame round the toilet to help me stand up? Is it a good idea to borrow a walker? Thanks everybody!
  • The handles around the toilet are good. You could be weak and need the support. I still have mine on and I'm 2.5 months post-op. A walker is also good. I got mine in the hospital. PT ordered it, insurance covered it and it was delivered to my hospital room.
    Kristy

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    formal spine-health articles.

tips on recovery
    essential items for recovery

and from one of our members
    post op must haves

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I only had a raised toilet seat, but my toilet sits close to the vanity/sink so I was able to push myself up using that. One thing that I bought and never used was a shower seat. I just didn't feel steady on it. It was the kind without the back.

Good luck to you!
advertisement