Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

The value of being honest w/PM

Comments

• different doctors for diagnosis. Doctor shopping only comes into play when you are being treated for the same condition by two or more different doctors and accepting medications for that condition........you can consult with as many doctors as you want to, or your insurance will allow you to, as long as you don't accept prescriptions for scheduled medications for the same condition from two or more different doctors, unless they are in the same practice .
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 04/14/2014 - 4:30 AM
    my fault but i was trying to make a point about how many is too many. even if one saw 25 doctors and not got meds. would the other doctors deal with that in a positive light? i don't know but if i were a doctor and saw a guy who saw a bunch of other doctors even if meds were not given, myself and i only speak from myself, it would get my attention.i am not a doctor so i don't know how real doctors would feel about this it just goes back to how many is too many?
    just postulating and being the devil's advocate on this
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • anelsen15 said:
    Lol well I saw about 25 who all said different , had many MRI and repeat MRI for new drs, 5 nerve cond tests that all were different, blood work about 8 times,and many other tests over 3 yr period before I got to my diagnosis but like I said that's rare .
    Sandi I don't get that , I would do any treatment if it meant staying off pain killers, and I have done some strange ones not proven to fight pain but as Jon said with testing , with conservative treatments how many times do u repeat the treatment that isn't working until narcotics must be looked at as an option?? I don't know answer but I did these treatments over and over for years and all but begged to try new conservative ones. It just wears u down and then I wanted narcotics cause it was to painful to do these exercises eventually.
    Aaron,
    I know that you have done everything that has been asked of you and then some and tried beyond what most people would have done to avoid having to go the route of narcotics, but you are the rare bird when it comes to that.....We have seen in various forums , not just this one where someone comes in complaining of pain and all they want to discuss is how to get narcotics.They dismiss every other option, no matter what it is, saying it doesn't work, or any other medication other than opiates doesn't work, ....I am not saying that they aren't in pain, or don't deserve treatment, but what I am saying is that there are steps, ones that we ALL have to take to get to that point.....and based on what the doctors feel is the problem, determines what treatment options he may or may not offer.
    In your case, it could be that seeing so many doctors , some of them assumed that there was another who was treating the pain.......wrongly assumed but I wouldn't be surprised, which is why I said to you in the other thread in CP that I would be asking them why they didn't offer something for the pain because I would be interested as to why they didn't.......did they assume some other doctor was? Did they not feel that it was appropriate? Did they hope to see if the current testing or therapy would help? Age?
    As to why they make you repeat tests/injections? That I think at times is part ego, and the assumption that the results might not be valid or the same , given enough time and space in between, they believe that a different injection type or a repeat of a previous might have benefit now......I know that when it comes to injections, there are different reasons for them, different types that can all be done in the same area but are done for different reasons.....so again I would be guessing as to the why's......
    I understand, Aaron, and your ability to continue to deal with this has been remarkable, and I think that we all understand your frustration and exhaustion with having to deal with it......
  • For me, and me alone, the only time that I would look at the number of doctors is if the answer was a simple or common medical issue.........for someone like Aaron, with a complex issue , that we can't quite out our finger on, wouldn't set off alarm bells.....That is where some simple discussion with the patient could come in handy......I see you have X number of doctors, why is that? If someone tells me that they have seen 10 doctors for a broken arm, then I would be a bit concerned, but someone who has seen 10 doctors for a group of symptoms and has undergone various treatments for these symptoms but it doesn't quite fit the mold of the diagnosis he has been given would make me curious to find out why he is not getting better if the diagnosis was correct......
  • that is why i like aaron we post and disagree on some but he and i keep it respectful and courteous with each other. we have pm each other and said that there is the mutual respect we have with each other even with some things we disagree on. in my opinion, aaron is the man. he and i both enjoy the discourse between each other. i respect him and visa versa. now aaron since i said that please send me the $1000 in small unmarked bills. i will give the number of my off shore bank account when you give me the money. also i like my steak rare and i guess i can pick out the restaurant for the meal. take care
    sandi you are welcome to come also free of charge. because you are a moderator you get the dinner free.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • To try and answer all of your questions; no, I haven't taken pain medication prior to this surgery, I've always been a fairly healthy person and ibuprofen has always been sufficient to relieve my pain. I wear the collar because as I was instructed to wear it 24/7 for the first month, my muscles were already substantially weakened. I continue to wear it more than I should because not wearing it too much caused me to be in severe discomfort, which sorry to tell you, Tylenol does Not help. So it's either keep wearing it at times or use ibuprofen...which is worse? Another of your questions, I didn't talk about pain management prior to my surgery because I didn't know it would be an issue. I'm 31 years old and have never needed pain medication. The point of me posting my comment was to express my disapproval of the restrictions being put on patients from the state are making it more difficult for people, such as myself, who need them and have never abused them. My surgeon, as I mentioned, didn't bother coming in the room for my follow up and I didnt ask for more pain meds until the next day, after I started weaning off the collar, and I was told by the PA I never met before that day, that I couldn't have a 5 day supply. My next appt is not until June and I'm sure I won't see my surgeon then either. As far as the collar, some surgeons actually recommend wearing them for up to 8 weeks and if it alleviates my pain better than Tylenol than that's what I'll do.
  • What some other surgeons do is not what your surgeon told you to do......and while you think that the wearing of the collar offers you support, all it is really doing is worsening already weakened neck muscles. The longer you avoid allowing the muscles to strengthen and hold your head and neck upright without support, the more difficult it will be down the road.
    If you are in need of pain medications, then you do have the option of calling the office and scheduling an appointment with the surgeon, instead of just calling to request a prescription for pain medications. Doctors are under no obligation to provide pain medications past a certain point, and I am not that surprised that the office wouldn't give you a new prescription for 5 days or however long......they don't know you, other than for your visits with the surgeon prior to the surgery, and during the operation....... I realize that you may not want to hear that, but it's the truth. If you were in such pain that you can not go without the collar but haven't made an appointment to see the doctor to discuss that pain, that may be the reason that they didn't write the prescription.
  • anelsen15 said:
    Yea it would be red flag for me to as a dr. Luckily a few really believed while I didn't fit their specialty their were some signs and my descriptions that led them to believe something wasn't right and sent me to teaching hospitals far away. Something that rings in my head today was a head neuro of huge hospital replied after I told him how embarrassed and ashamed i was crying that " you should never feel ashamed because we as drs can't find the problem yet, that's on us , for you these problems are real "
    i really like what your doc said about the problem being real, and they just haven't figured it out yet. i know when i started seeing my second surgeon, he told me i had a connective tissue disorder. only explanation for why i had multiple herniated discs with no injury to explain them. (now mind you i've been complaining of vague symptoms for a long time prior to my fusion surgeries... chronic insomnia, fatigue, etc.) well, 2 more years went by before i finally found a doc who agreed with him. most of the time, i would tell a doc what my surgeon had said, and i'd get these blank looks. and it didn't help for those 2 years, my blood work all came back normal. Makes you start questioning whether you are losing your mind or not. How can the docs not find something when you feel as lousy as that? finally tried a new rheumatologist, my original one seemed to think i was nuts.... and i explained what was going on to him, and for the 1st time i had a doc agree with my surgeon. And he did the bloodwork, that finally corroborated the original diagnosis. I've been seeing the current rheumatologist for a little over a year now, and bloodwork has been rechecked and still comes back pointing to the connective tissue disorder. its too easy for a doc to look at past bloodwork, etc, and say there is nothing wrong. i know in my case after 2 years of looking for a reason for all my problems, i finally felt vindicated. i wasn't crazy...
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • terror8396 said:
    it is easy to blame the doctors hospitals, pharmacies, the government, but the real fault like shakespeare say the real fault lies with ourselves. that meaning that all of the abusers and drug seekers are at fault. because of this, doctors are under scrutiny from the government and then because of this they have to come down hard on us with tests and a reluctance to prescribe narcotics and also the media showing all of these shows stating the dangers of oxycontin including the statement that if one keeps taking these meds, you will die. you always hear if he did not go into rehab he would have died or ended up in prison. so next time someone complains that their doctor will not give them narcotics after the patient complains that such and such a drug does not work or i am allergic to it and i can only have oxycontin because nothing else works. it seems that people lately are quick to blame their doctors about not treating severe pain, just remember who makes the doctors hesitant to give out narcotics, it is the patients. doctors, pharmacies, hospitals are really fed up with the scrutiny. i hear my doctor and my pharmacist complain all of the time. they want to help and give out meds that work. they really do. these drugs are there for a reason, to treat chronic pain and they can;t do their jobs effectively with the government looking at them all the time. will it get better? i do not know, only if people quit trying to get narcotics when they don't need them. remember it has been said a million times by the moderators, narcotics are not the be all or end all with chronic pain. there are all other ways to treat it besides narcotics.
    jon
  • so what is your point> you can read at the bottom of my autobiography what i take and if there is something else you want to point out, please be clear instead of an ambiguous post that does not make sense to me. i will be more than glad to explain things and beliefs to you.
    jon
advertisement