Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

GOLF AFTER ACDF

Hi All,

I just wanted to get some input and feedback from anyone who has had ACDF in the past and how long did it take until you could finally swing a club and play 18 holes walking carrying your bag and clubs? My surgery is tomorrow and I want to be able to play by the end of the year.

B
advertisement

Comments

• I had a 2 level PLIF of L4/S1 in February 2013, and was back on the course, initially walking only, in around 3 months and gradually started swinging before getting into full round play by June. However, I do continue to use an electric trolley rather than attempting to carry, and my swing has changed somewhat as I have less range of movement in my lower back. The golf I find is actually a very positive focal point and keeps me walking, although some people initially question my sanity.

I can't talk about an ACDF and whether it will impact differently to my PLIF, my understanding is that it may perhaps be less stressful in the golf swing for cervical as opposed to lumbar, but I could be totally wrong with that. I wish you all the very best for your surgery and recovery, and hope you have a very positive outcome and can return to the fairways soon,

Nick
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    Back in the 70's and 80's they did not believe in fusion for white collar workers. Big mistake! and they realize it now

I tried picking up golf after we moved into a Lake community with a 3 hold executive private golf course (250 yards from my house). I could not do it, first, I could not look down at the ball, I could only get halfway down.
    My swing was bad, but then again, my swing was always a baseball swing, you know the faster you go, the further the ball should go! Wrong!

I asked my surgeon about playing golf, and he said, sure, no problem... Just remember, one day you need to play right handed and the next time left handed! That is the way you will make sure you dont strain one side or the other.

So, instead, I am the designated golf cart driver.

But seriously, talk this over with your doctor. There are golf pros that gear themselves into teaching golf for people with spinal problems.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Bernie N.BBernie N. Posts: 73
    edited 03/12/2014 - 6:20 PM
    Thanks for the great info. I have to rest up. My surgery is in 10 hours.
  • Hi guys,

Been 4 days since my acdf surgery im hoping to start pt in a few weeks and start swinging the club within 3 months.
  • dilauro said:
    Back in the 70's and 80's they did not believe in fusion for white collar workers.
    Why did they think it matter what type of job a person has?
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    The difference is a 'belief' in terms of physical condition at the time of surgery and for the future.

When I was ready for my first spinal surgery, my surgeon did not want to fuse. He felt that based on my work job ( programmer, mostly desk related) that it was not that important to create a solid back.
    Now, if I was in construction, he said without a doubt, fusion was the only option in order strengthen the back for the future.

That has proven to be wrong. The construction worker s probably in better shape, stronger, so they may have less risk of having that first lumbar problem. While desk jobs folks may not have that same strength, and the pressure of sitting can result in the first lumbar problem.

There are many other factors that could shoot down that last paragraph.

But years ago, that was sort of a mindset
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hello all. Its been almost 5 months since post op and i have not swung a club yet. My surgeo and PT dude advised me to waituntil 6months post op before taking full swings. Im one month away from doing so. I have done plenty of putting and chipping. Needless to say i will kill it on my short game.

Bernie
  • Bernie N. said:
    Hello all. Its been almost 5 months since post op and i have not swung a club yet. My surgeo and PT dude advised me to waituntil 6months post op before taking full swings. Im one month away from doing so. I have done plenty of putting and chipping. Needless to say i will kill it on my short game.

Bernie
    Bernie, I really hope you get to return to a full swing as per your surgeon / PT's instructions, but remember to take things slow and steady, I found I had to alter my swing and initially only went with irons for about 6/9 months before the driver saw light of day....managed to win the "Iron Man" competition :-)
advertisement