Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Putting a FOOT DOWN

The objective of Spine-Health has always been to create an online atmosphere that will allow members to research about various spinal conditions and to be able to exchange information with other members. That atmosphere needs to be safe for everyone.

No individual should ever feel threatened , intimidated or bullied. That applies to all members, new or old. It is very important that there is a positive approach in handling all new members. Our new members come here looking for help and support. They are new to the pain and discomfort associated with spinal conditions, they are scared and are looking for help. And it is our job to make them feel welcome and help them along.

But is this what is really happening?

It bothers me, but I am sad to say this is not happening all the time. The objective of Spine-Health never changes, but we have to address the problem areas. Some people believe that these online forum is a environment in which they can get things off their chest, argue with other members , or just create havoc on the forums. We are going to put an end to all of that..

How will we accomplish this? We have been discussing this issue for a while and we all believe the best approach will be to BAN those members that are causing the problem. That number is probably less than 10, but they cause so much disruption. The moderator team gets private messages daily from some of those 10 arguing about someone else in that 10
BAN that 10 and the problem disappears. That is business approach to solving problems like this.

We will start to execute this plan soon and I am sure that when we do, many members will be surprised or think that we have wronged them. I want everyone to understand that before we take a big action like this, we review it as a team to make sure we have agreement. We do that based on facts, not who it may be.

We want to make sure that everyone understands that these forum rules were put in place to ensure the primary objectives can be met. The moderator team will enforce and continue to ban those members who are here really only to cause problems It doesn't matter how long a member has been here and how much knowledge they do have.

We ask the entire member community to work with us and other members to see that we can all benefit from being on this site.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,280
    We have been reviewing a number of incidents that have happened over the past several months.
    What might have appeared as the easy target , may no longer seems that way after reviewing everything.

The main thing right now, is that we have all the backing of the company here to take whatever actions is necessary to make this a safe site. And I have told all of my moderators to look for any problem and then we will take the appropriate actions. The time has come to clean up this site..

At the same time, this does not mean we are acting like a police state and will be watching every post. We have confidence in our member community and know that they will follow the rules. Even if a rule is broken, when that is pointed out, the member apologizes immediately. So I would not even blink an eye in terms of how you work on this site.

Its those that when they break a rule, they try to find every reason why its not their fault. You know, this is not much different in day to day living.,

But I promise that we will make this a safe site for everyone!
    edited 03/31/2014 - 10:49 AM
    We executed the first part of the plan. It was towards a member that needed to be removed from this site.

I have explained in my previous posts that we will take actions on thos that intend to disrupt this site. And I promise we will continue to do this.

At the same time, we are not going out looking for problems and then reacting on them. My team is controlled enough to know what is right and what is wrong. And that will be the actions we take in the future.

Some people may be upset by this, but in the end, this will be a site that is free from some of the accusations and complaints that have been made.
  • advertisement
    edited 04/02/2014 - 6:30 PM
    from a member telling me that they accidentally hit the flag as offensive button.
    This things do happen and I dont want the member community to think that we are looking for every little problem.

Its the opposite. We are monitoring those problem areas that have been with us for a while. Many of the people in question have already received warning messages from my team. I would love nothing better than to have those same people realize that we are only trying to do good for the entire site. My team will open our arms up to those in question, as long as they are sincere.

There are so many members here that are looking for answers, and are hoping to get responses. This is what we should all be concentrating on., moderators as well as members. This is why this site was put together, to help..
    We are working on a procedure that many other online forums sites have been doing.

(1) Enforcing the I Accept the forum rules. At the first violation of those rules, the member would be terminated.

We don't want to have to terminate any member when a forum rule is violated unintentionally. This has happened before and were are very liberal. But When/If a member repeats that type of violation, we will ban that member permanently.

(2) A break in time period. When new member join, their initial (and some follow on) threads/posts need to be reviewed by the moderator team to be approved and made public

This policy is pretty standard. I belong to one Wine Forum site, that reviews my posts until they are satisfied with my content. That may take up to 5 or more posts. In terms of threads, that is even harder to break through. Those sites have much less spam, much less members that want to cause trouble and many other headaches. But is that process what we want here? I dont think so. But for example I have been following this one new member for several days now. They post with appropriate sincerity and it seems ok But after years of seeing new folks, you sort of get a reading on how someone posts. Because this member puts up a handsome avatar and seems ok, you never know. So, for us, its manually watching folks.

Bottom line, the entire Moderator team is watching everything to make sure this is a totally safe and problem free forum site. We know we can not stop everything, and on the same note, we are not trying to police everything to make people afraid to post.

Its really simple, follow forum rules, no problems.

that is members providing medical advice to others. Not only is this a forum violation

5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.

there are so many dangers in doing this. What one person may think is sound medical advice could be a dangerous problem for another member. Without having the one on one contact with a person, it is impossible to provide medical advice.

Suggestions based on personal experiences is what can be communicated. But even then, the 'suggestion' can be made more into advice.

This is just another area that my team will be watching for.

Please remember, what we are watching for is to eliminate those problem areas so tht the site can be useful for everyone.
  • advertisement
  • I would like to thank Ron and all the other moderators for making this a safe and enjoyable site again. Its not an easy job for sure. I believe your latest initiative has really worked. Again, thanks.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • dbarbeau48 said:
    I would like to thank Ron and all the other moderators for making this a safe and enjoyable site again. Its not an easy job for sure. I believe your latest initiative has really worked. Again, thanks.

Dick

I agree with you, Dick. I have noticed that the posts have become a little more kinder and friendlier. A lot of great information has been given lately w/o, if I may, the BS. Now, if there was just a way to get some of the members back, that have left, that would be great.
    and I want to thank the members here.
    We can only monitor the site and enforce rules.
    The member community together work to make this a safe site.

Thank you...
    edited 04/08/2014 - 6:48 AM
    seen a much more positive and helpful tone. They are very pleased about that, since that has been their objective since day 1.

I can tell you from the moderators point of view, this is so very good. Trust me logging in and finding dozens of messages with one member against another and so forth. Lately, the messages I get is what I want, Questions, Where can I get .....

Now we can concentrate on helping others. Threads such as what Sandi created the other day about Pain management is just a sample of what the moderator team should be doing.

This makes it more enjoyable for everyone. I realize that we did lose some newer members. I regret that, but please know that the moderator team was working to cleaning things up. Its so refreshing now logging in , feeling positive and really looking at other members posts and see where we can help.

Helping each other makes our site unique and better than others. We may have set down a tone, but all of you carried it through.

Thank you
    I banned a member today. This member was given multiple warnings about the type of posting they did.
    The responded basically indicating that they were going to continue to post that way and they did.
    Hence, the member is now banned.

No violation of Forum rules will be tolerated. At the same time, the moderator team understands that everything is
    not simply black and white. Thats were judgement and discussions come into play

We will still maintain the policy in NOT naming anyone in public.
advertisement