Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone have experience with SI Joint Dysfunction?

LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
edited 03/31/2014 - 4:34 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
2 months P/O and I've had continued nerve pain/spasms in my buttocks, upper thigh, calf and sometimes numbness in my leg and the top of my foot. I've also had sharp and pin prick type pain to the left of my tailbone. I had a follow up with my surgeon and after discussing my symptoms and physical exam, he also believes that I am dealing with SI joint dysfunction with secondary Piriformis syndrome that may be pushing on my sciatic nerve. He also discussed continued nerve pain from surgery ( the 3 nerves that were compressed were very red and inflamed), and possible nerve damage from a previous test I had. He always thought I had SI joint problems in addition to my spinal problems ( I had 2 SI joint injections prior to surgery) which at the time I didn't think helped very much. He asked me if my deep buttock pain has worsened and I told him yes, so maybe the injections did help? I'm honestly not sure and I'm a bit apprehensive to have another one, because even if it helped some, it didn't provide me enough relief. I do trust my surgeon so I will follow his recommendations. I am being referred to a physiatrist for ongoing treatment. It looks like more tests/injections are ahead of me through this long battle of pain. But at least I have a plan and I'm just hoping to get the pain to a manageable level. Does anyone have experience with SI joint and/or Piriformis issues? How was it diagnosed? What treatments were tried and did they help? I am new to this so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Progressive DDD
Osteoarthritis
Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
Discectomy L5-S1 2002
Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
advertisement

Comments

• LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/01/2014 - 6:12 PM
    Thank you, I've already read them all, watched the videos, and did google searches on the topic. I even read a ton of old forums because no one seems to post here anymore. I've already had 2 SI injections ( with minimal to no relief) yet my surgeon is convinced that this is one of my problems ( he definitely increased my pain on exam). I'm just impatient and ready to move forward. I've even started the stretches as tolerable ( my surgeon gave me the okay to walk stretch etc, just no overdoing). My walking has become very limited to short frequent walks, and although painful, I need to keep moving off and on throughout the day. Ever since the last flare (which doesn't seem to be a flare because it's constant and progressing) I can't seem to find any relief. Research and this site helps divert my attention a bit. The appointment with the Psysiatrist can't come soon enough. I'm ready to do whatever Is asked of me to get this pain under control.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • advertisement
  • The whole SI joint problems are only recently coming to light.........that is why you aren't seeing much in the way of long term results . It's only in the last year or so that we started hearing about the SI joint being a problem for some patients and the research is still ongoing.
    I know that we occassionally heard about it before, but not nearly as much as it is being diagnosed now. Some doctors didn't believe it was a problem just a few years ago.
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/05/2014 - 3:12 AM
    It doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to diagnose either. Applying pressure to the SI joint through physical exam seems to be the best way. Even the injections aren't definitive, in my case anyway, neither is imaging, the MRI of my pelvis came back clear.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • I posted today about DVT or SI dysfunction . My pain started on each side of groin and was also burning/bruised feeling in back of thigh. They put me in an SI belt and now my calf cramps and spasms constantly. A friend thought DVT but Ultrasound came back ok. They say the SI belt is changing my gait. Not sure what to think.
  • advertisement
  • It's good the DVT came back clear. I'm sorry to hear the belt is causing problems. Do you have a plan of what to do next?
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • No. They ended up finding a superficial clot but still tell me that my back(spondylolisthesis of l5s1), si joint, osteitis pubis, and previous back surgeries are causing my issues. I have no actual back pain so this is so difficult to swallow.
advertisement