Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Starting to wonder if I even need narcotic pain meds anymore

Comments

• I've been taking Tizanidine for about 4 years without any problems but I think I might be getting a little tolerant. ;-(
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • & have not had any side effects. I've had a prescption for eons, but don't take it on a regular basis. I have usually taken it when I've had a migraine, because my shoulders & neck get so tight. I've taken it a few times for my back when the pain has been unbearable, on top of 800 mg of Motrin. My pain meds are limited to 2 Norco which doesn't cut it at all on a really bad day. Does it help? Not much, but I'll take any little bit I can get, because the alternative is the ER, & we all know how useless that is,
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • advertisement
  • I've always been told to take my muscle relaxants consistently because they work better when the medication has built-up in our systems. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can answer...

I get far better pain control with both muscle relaxants & narcotics. Either alone doesn't help as much.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've always taken mine together on a consistent basis. I don't know if taking it consistently makes a difference depending on what kind you're taking or not. The dosing on my new muscle relaxant is 3x daily whereas the Valium I could take 4x daily. I just hope the Flexiril is as effective as the Valium. And I'm sooooo happy to finally be done with the Lyrica and start the next Gabepentin increase today ( fingers crossed). QUESTION- should I turn in my remaining Lyrica when I see the PM doc? He originally prescribed it and I have a bunch left.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I usually do because I've got little kids & don't like meds hanging around. I also read an article that convinced me not to flush them down the loo! You know you're never going to take them again...

When it comes to narcotics I always take the old ones in when I change. My doc never told me to but I think it creates a better impression & the nurse keeps a log so both ours bums are covered if he's ever investigated or anything.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • advertisement
  • I'm so pleased for you! Lyrica made me feel terrible too. I hope things go really well with the Gabapentin. It made me feel a little tired & spacey but that passed in a couple of weeks. ;-)

I've never taken Valium. Is Flexiril another name for Cyclobenzaprin? I found that very effective but more soporific than Tizanidine. We're all different though..
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've been on Percocet for 2.5 years and am currently taking 10-325 3 times a day and it isn't really working for more than a couple of hours. By the time bedtime rolls around I've had my limit for the day. I take something for arthritis, but it isn't much help. I go back to PM tomorrow and had an MRI taken last week so I'll see what he says. My no-fault case is just about out of $$, so I'll have to go through my personal medical for anything else they want to try on me.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • Yes Flexeril is another name for Cyclobenzaprine. Hopefully it won't knock me out. My goal is to get to a level of functioning not vice versa :) Valium never made me drowsy, it just did it's job by reducing the spasms. I will take the Lyrica in since I have no use for it and don't feel comfortable disposing of them. I have 7 year old twins but thankfully my family has rallied to help me take care of them while I get through this bump in the road. They are old enough to understand and take it easy around me, and they aren't allowed in my room unsupervised where my meds are kept.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 04/10/2014 - 6:51 AM
    I've adjusted my Percocet to take before bedtime. Getting through the night is more important for me then getting through the day. But I'm able to take it easy throughout the day so I'm not sure if that's your case or not. I hope you get some answers from your MRI, I know it can be tough financially to keep up with everything, especially for those out of work. I'm so ready to back to work it's driving me crazy!!!! It's possible you have built somewhat of a tolerance being on it that long. Maybe you need some med adjustments including the one for your arthritis? Might be something to mention to your Dr.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • So I started the Flexeril yesterday and it made me feel awful. It was partially my fault. Dosing said 1/2-1 tab 3x daily. I had trouble cutting them in half so I took 1 pill 2x yesterday and it was horrible. I finally was able to cut them in half so last night before bed and this morning I only took 1/2 tab. I'm still not happy with the way it makes me feel ( dizzy and nauseous mostly). I've taken it with food to help with nausea but the effects are still unpleasant. I may be calling my Surgeon's office today :(
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
advertisement